Porta Potty in Tear?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How important is having a porta potty in your teardrop?

Definitely, that's what I am waiting for.
16%
Maybe, while the teardrop is not in use.
4%
Definitely not while someone is sleeping in there!
2%
No way, I use a porta potty tent outside, thank you!
43%
Give me a modern campground with running water & toilets!
36%

Total votes : 56

Porta Potty in Tear?

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:32 am

It sure has been quiet the past 12 hours. I had to go read some messages to make sure I hadn't lost my "latest posts". I hadn't. So did we run out of things to talk about?

Okay, I have a question for you guys... How many of you would like to see a design with a porta potty in it?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:04 am

Mike, we back to the "TATOR THEROM",, you know the one where ya got 11 lbs of tators and a 10 lb sack,,, well the space is too small and Maybe its just me but I dont want no port-a-potty in my camper,, I can just see me tipping that thing over and well lets just say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,clean up isle 4,,

porta-a-potty is the extra tator !!!!!!!!!

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:12 am

BTW, I was looking at the Pahaque porta potty tent again... This onscreen demo is pretty cool. When you are spinning this around, move the mouse all the way to the right hand side of the window, and watch the tent get assembled!

http://www.pahaque.com/tent.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby purplepickup » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:09 am

I didn't see this option but for those middle of the night #1's a jug works fine if there isn't a nearby bush. For #2's, I might have an emergency arrangement available but probably won't use it unless it's a real emergency. :frightened:

I'll have enough room to stand up in my trailer so these options can work a lot easier than in a traditional tear. If I had a traditional, I think there would be an outhouse tent or something.

Your polls don't leave a stone unturned do they? :lol:
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dennis T » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:33 am

We bring a port-a-potty with us and can set it up quick in case of an emergency. So far we have not had the need to use it. Usually the rest rooms are within walking distance and we make it just fine. :thumbsup:
Dennis
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:42 am

mikeschn wrote:When you are spinning this around, move the mouse all the way to the right hand side of the window, and watch the tent get assembled!

Dang, that's a neat animation - what a lateral thinker the person who thought that up must be!
Though the cynic in me does wonder what percentage of viewers might discover it. :roll:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am

angib wrote:Though the cynic in me does wonder what percentage of viewers might discover it. :roll:

Andrew

I agree. They didn't use enough of the screen for the assembly, and they used too much for the spinning. :?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:57 am

I'm going with doors on both sides of my teardrop.
The street side door will exit into a privacy enclosure and that is where my porta-pottie will be... along with a shower and changing area.

Postby David Grason » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:10 am

It looks like the Pahaque assembles in a similar fashion as the EZ-up. What do you reckon - maybe 3-4 minutes tops? It sure looks like a good idea and a real problem solver in some instances.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Syekick » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:26 pm

My wife would love a porti potti inside that she could use at night. She hates the treks to the restroom at 2AM. I roughed out a floor plan and it looked like I would need around 36 to 40" of floor length for a person to sit on the potti with feet on the floor. Never mind the height for the moment.

So that would put the total TD length around 13'. Oh what the heck make it 14' and put in a "walkway" (more like a duck-walk-way) between the doors. :frightened:
<b>Fudd's First Law of Opposition: </b>
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.
Syekick
Teardrop Builder

Postby beverlyt » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 pm

This is something I would be looking for. A tiny-trailer with room for a porti-potti.

We do mostly rustic camping. Here in Michigan, I don't worry so much about stepping out in the middle of the night to a "porta-potti" tent.
The teardrop is fine.

Tennessee, at the foot of the Smoky Mountains is a whole different game. I want more room to sleep than the 45" wide tear provides and a bathroom would be... well... WOO-HOO.

We don't even have a mower on our property to keep the grass cut down. Getting up in the middle of the night, wading through tall grass, to get to a porta-potti tent with no floor... and praying I'm not going to step on a snake....
Or hearing something moving behind that tree over there and seeing it's a black bear with big shiny teeth glowing in the moonlight.....
(I have a over-active imagination at such times)

Oh well... by then I would have pee'd my pants anyway from fright, long before I made it to the tent. What a wasted trip!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:57 pm

One of the reasons that we went with the longer style trailer that we did, is so that we can fit a portapotti in there. It seemed like last summer when we were camping that the washrooms were always closer to the big rigs than they were to the tenting area. Seems backwards to me. We are switching to a trailer with solid walls for camping in bear country, it only makes sense not to make middle of the night treks in bear country.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby benjamin » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:09 am

It hit me last night on my 30 minuet commute home. Many ttt are only 8’ long so if you went to a 10’ and add the 24” to the front of the trailer recess the port a potty into the floor about 6” and a 24” wall beside it you could lay there all night smelling the sweet smell of a comical toilet above your head. Maybe even add a bubble top above it for added head room; it could double as a sky light.

I am one that goes for the potty tent how ever when ever I can I will go for the camp ground rest rooms even if it is a vault toilet.

I made a quick sketch of my vision but I don’t know how to post the thing. I will email it to some one who does but they have to post if I do.
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:45 am

Long ago and far away I thought about something similar to that as well. I concluded that it would not work is a standard 48" tall teardrop. You could make it work in a 60" tall teardrop, but you'd have to be 11' long.

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:03 pm

We try to not even use the porta potti in our 10' pick-up camper, except in emergencys, would much rather smell up the campground bathroom :roll: .
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Next

Return to User Polls