Would you bail out the auto industry?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

yes
19%
no
81%

Total votes : 93

Postby Walt M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:28 pm

This ought to get some creative juices flowing. Let's not fight. Besides the poll, can we come up with a few suggestion that our leadrers need to hear before we just throw money at a problem. My suggestion is to let the auto industry share tech, by establishing an R&D research center that will develope new tech. in regards to Saftey,Economy,Ecology. then each corporation wouldn't have to duplicate spending in these areas. They aren't allowed to share tech now because of the way anti trust laws are set up. btw, the Japanese have been doing it this way for decades. Walt
All that is needed for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.
Walt M
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm

I voted yes.

Save the jobs of American working people.

Put tariffs back on foreign goods.

One World, but country first and greedy robber barrons last

Get the influences of big oil out of the American auto industry.

Buy Union made products.

Any questions? call Haywood Jablomy
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Walt M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Steve, never mind Union made. I'd like to be able to at least buy American made. I should've added another option "not as it's structured now". Walt
Walt M
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:28 pm

We bailed out Chrysler and they paid it back. I don't buy it is the Unions fault. I think the concept that managers, all managers, need to make 100% more than workers is the problem there. Now are we bailing out Chrysler again? Are they still an American company?

Advice for the Auto industry-------and all others--------get the hair gell out. Literally! Kill the rich tourist industry for a year :NC :whistle:

Hey I know---put them up for sale :twisted: 8) Can you imagine Paulson running a real company, with real money and consequences. What was Congress thinking?

Ya'll come on down. ;) Gas $1.78
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby planovet » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Would I bail them out? Nope, not enough cash on hand. But if the government wants to then I say go for it. If the US auto makers fail then the economy gets a ton worse. That being said, I'll put on my asbestos flame suit and say that I'll still buy foreign cars. I've owned Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Infinity and never had a major problem.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Walt M wrote:Steve, never mind Union made. I'd like to be able to at least buy American made. I should've added another option "not as it's structured now". Walt

:? Do they make one. My Nissan is more American made than the Ford World Car of the same year. :? :? The Nissan was made in Smyrna TN.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Walt M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Of the big three Chrysler is doing the best. Chrysler did borrow money from the feds and paid it back early, but those were the days of Lee Iococca (I don't think there are any lee types left) When GM had money coming out it's ears they decided to get into the credit card business rather than invest in its own retooling. It became about making money rather than making cars. I've bought nothing but Dodges for the last 20 years 8 in all. I'll be expanding my view the next time. Walt
Walt M
The 300 Club

Postby TheBizMan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:52 pm

I don't believe in bailing out any company. The taxpayers don't benefit from the profits, so why should we pay the price of bad management. I know that a lot of people would be out of work, but you know what, someone will start a new company or industry and put most of them to work. Yes it would be painful for a while. Yes most people would have to make due with what they have, but where oh where does it say the government will guarantee businesses. I have had 3 businesses. Two failed and nobody stepped in to help me. Just another example of the little guy doesn't matter.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:07 pm

That was a tough choice, but I voted "no."

I really want to see the US Auto Industry come back, but I have no faith in the current people running the US Auto Companies to use that "loan" money wisely. I'm afraid we'd just be putting off the inevitable if we bail them out. And, I'm afraid that the executives would find a way to reward themselves one last time before the party is over.

The auto industry is in need of a revolution of new products for the next generation. The world is changing, and we can either lead the change, or get run over buy it.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rxc463 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 pm

I have to vote no. I think every automaker should be strapped into a chair ala "A Clockwork Orange" and forced to watch the movie "Gung Ho" till they pass out or go crazy :thumbsup:
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby stbuch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 pm

Three million jobs are attached to the auto industry. That's 3 million on unemployment. I say yes to the bail out because at least they will be doing something for the money as opposed to being on unemployment.

My principal (I'm a teacher) said that he figured up how much the 70 billion would give to each household in America. It came out to $100,000 per household. I don't know about you, but I would definitely prefer that kind of bail out! Give it directly to the American people who would spend it on houses, cars, etc. That's a stimulus package I could get behind!

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby MidTNJasonF » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:09 pm

A bailout would only get my vote if it involves a very major restructure of the companies, salary cuts for all management, and disbandment or a major restructure of the unions.

I live in Smyrna a couple miles from where they make a number of the Nissan's and less than 45 minutes from a UAW GM plant. More than a few friends and neighbors work for one or the other so I am keenly aware of how the ups and downs in the car market effect these folks. My own livelihood came directly from the industry for several years. I still work in manufacturing and trust me unions are a big big part of the problem with where our manufacturing industry is right now. Sorry to the pro union folks who might be here but that is my firm opinion and I stand behind it 100%. There is blame to lay at all levels but unions are certainly not without a big chunk of the blame.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby stbuch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:19 pm

I think Jason makes a good point. I am all for making a decent wage, but there are a lot of educated people (Tennessee teachers like me for one) who make a whole lot less than union workers and no one ever bails me out of my debts.
$>
Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 pm

stbuch wrote:Three million jobs are attached to the auto industry. That's 3 million on unemployment.

Do keep in mind that bankruptcy is not the same as going out of business. A lot of companies, especially airlines, have gone into bankruptcy, and are still in business.

There would no doubt be a lot of lost jobs and pain. I don't want to see that. But, will the auto companies, as they are run now, use the $25-billion to turn around, or just waste it the way they have been wasting it for the last twenty years.

The American auto companies have been in trouble for 30 years. And what did they do? They put all their money into marketing low quality, high profit margin gas guzzlers, while the rest of the world's auto companies invested in high-quality, efficient automobiles.

I remember when Hyundai came to America. They sold cheap tin cans with wheels. Now, they are selling cars that compete with Lexus -- and win.

GM invested in Hummers -- Chevy pickups with GI Joe bodies and 30-percent markups. They can't give them away, now, so they want the government to bail them out.

It wasn't abunch of bank tellers who created the mortgage meltdown, and it's not a bunch of factory workers who made the decision to build Hummers. But, it's the bank tellers and factory workers who will pay the price for the decisions made by the executives who will float down in their golden parachutes after all the bailout money is gone.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Nope - neither the airlines or anyone else - it isn't about competition when the larger giants want a bail out to keep their monopoly - heck it might even solve the immigration debate – no one will want come here if there are no jobs and for those displaced - there will finally be enough people to American jobs in the other sectors - quit whining :cry: - I shoveled out drying beds at a sewage company for $5.50 an hour and worked my A$$ in overtime trying to feed my family - no $40.00 per hour for me and no one gave a crap about it (pun intended)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to User Polls