Ever Boondocked??

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Ever Boondocked??

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Have you ever boondocked with your Trailer, and if so Where?? Bill
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby Ageless » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 pm

I rockhound and none of the sites have campgrounds nearby, so 80% of my camping is remote. I recently completed a 3 week rampage thru OR, CA, NV, AZ, UT, and CO. Only spent 5 nights in campgrounds.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Boon docking does not necessarily mean Camping.

It would be easier to tell everyone When I have camped with facilities.

I have a 110V system on this trailer (as I have had on many trailers) but have only used it except to test it to see if it worked.

Over labor Day a few buddys and I are going camping, this time leaving our trailers at home and are just going out into the woods.

No nothing. No tent (just an EZ UP.) no stove, no showers, internet, DVD player, Cell Phone service, Microwave, heater, toaster oven, video games, twitter, facebook, electric lights, flush toilets, running water...Hot or Cold......No Nothing!

Thats called Camping.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I'd been planning to go up the northern Michigan to do some rustic camping... the sites are all so far away, so it's not like something you'd do on a weekend.

Just heard though, that they closed some of those sites... something about saving money...

But next year for sure!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 pm

There is a LOT of Crown land north of Superior. I have heard that you could cross Canada with no more than a 13Km portage.
I have been thinking about this for some time in setting up our next Mega-Mini (we are trading #1 for #7 with all the suggestions we have made incorporated). Various ideas from the Australian bush rigs will be incorporated including a pump to pump out of streams and lakes with filtration to get out the nasties, solar panels and LED lights.
You do however have to have a US passport (a solution in search of a problem concerning Canada (the most porous border).
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby JenniferandPups » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:16 pm

In the TTT, at a few Walmart parking lots and deep in Forest Service land. We prefer it back in the woods, with no campgrounds.

Oh... and our great adventure boondocking along the BNSF railroad yard in Shelby, MT... :shock: 8) Lots of fun, in retrospect...

And, in the back of my first truck and my best friend's corolla wagon... all over! :D We'd go on road trips, and just sleep when it was too late to drive anymore. :)
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby hugh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Up here we have well over 100,000 lakes so my family and I and friends have spent many a week on a remote lake you must portage to get into. Also we use my Jeep Cherokee with 35 inch tires, winch etc to get to 4 wd accessible areas to tent camp, although I have slept a few nights in the Jeep. My trailer build is starting to take shape and it is designed for rugged although slow off road use. One thing though, it will be painted with a marine paint so I really don,t want to scratch it, that might limit it,s off road use a bit.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Just got home from just a two day trip out in the Nevada desert just 30 miles from home. First boondock/off road trip for the tear. Completely isolated, just the two of us and the birds we went to watch (and the wild burros and antelope). Have 12 V set up. Works great. DO dinner, even made ice cream in one of those rolly small ice cream balls. One problem, beat the He&* out of the fenders, have to repaint and just ordered clearshield plastic to hopefully better protect. Oh, and shades of burning man (we were just off the Black Rock Desert) Need to beef up the seals to keep out the dust! 8)
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby FireLion » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 am

len19070 wrote:
No nothing. No tent (just an EZ UP.) no stove, no showers, internet, DVD player, Cell Phone service, Microwave, heater, toaster oven, video games, twitter, facebook, electric lights, flush toilets, running water...Hot or Cold......No Nothing!

Thats called Camping.

Happy Trails

Len

I've done that, just headed into the woods with nothing but a good knife. Built a shelter, made snares, found fresh water, had a blast. I've eaten stuff that would make most people sick! Survival skills are essential. I teach my grandsons how to thrive & survive. Ya never know when life's gonna throw ya a curveball. :shocked:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby EffieRover » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Many, many times. Mostly truck stops, wal-marts, rest stops and the side of the road. Occasionally, on a friend's driveway or front yard. Rarely, dirt roads or fields. We do it when getting from point A to point B takes more than we can safely drive in one sitting, sleeping in the car (now) or in a full trailer (when I was a kid and had one). I don't consider camping outside of a campground to be boondocking, tho. Done that before on friends' land. Maybe my definition is out of whack.

As long as you've got your toothbrush, you can always get by.
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby jeep_bluetj » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 pm

I've never NOT boondocked. (In the generally known parlance)
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

While looking up others definition of Boondocking I found this ........

http://www.escapees.com/edocs/boondocking%20letter.pdf

By most definition it is dry camping if it is on improved property. Leaving no evidence of ever having been there is important!

Boondocking is generally on unimproved land off of the beaten path and is a bit less restrictive. Here perhaps a small well attended fire may be all right.

We just this year experienced this style of camping after joining a small conservation club. The only convenience is a single porta potty way off in the distance. ( allow for travel time) ! When it is dark it is dark. This style of camping is what lead me to install all 12 volt DC lighting in " THE BARN" This single improvement makes boondocking/ dry camping much easier with battery on board capabilities. I am very glad we experienced it, it has allowed us to be much more self suffecient in that we no longer HAVE TO plug in to function. It's a good exercise in self reliance.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:35 am

On the old Pennsylvania Turnpike east of Breezewood is a bike trail with an end trail head parking lot. I just pull in and park on the far end of the lot where an old bridge was removed to disconnect the old pike from the new. No one ever checks on that site and it is almost isolated. N.40 degree 2.913 W78 degree 5.661 Elev 1,121
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby 4123 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:18 pm

A couple of years ago, Olga and I accompanied Jonathan (oregonguy) and his wife Jamie on the "The Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route". It is a series of maps available for purchase on the internet that are used in conjunction with a GPS that took us diagonally across the State of Oregon using only logging roads, skid trails, powerline roads etc. Lots of 4 wheel drive stuff. It took us a couple of weeks to negotiate. The only time we used surfaced roads were to cross them at certain points. Throughout the entire trip we were 'primitive camping' in some of the most beautiful out of the way places I have seen in a long time. Lakes, rivers, waterfalls, dense forests, panoramic views etc. The only problem was that this took place in mid to late July and the roads were quite dusty. Next time we would do it in the Spring. Here are a couple of websites: http://oregonbackcountrydiscoveryroute.com/ and
http://www.cycoactive.com/obdr/
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby lazerus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 am

I can't remember the last time I camped with any facilities... And I'm sure it was under protest at the time. I just can't bring myself to pay for crappy service when I'd be happier in a clearing at the end of a logging road.

Shadow Catcher wrote:There is a LOT of Crown land north of Superior. I have heard that you could cross Canada with no more than a 13Km portage.

Bit more than that in the middle provinces but not much.
Once you get to my side God stood the world on end so the rivers tend to move a little faster. It can be very frustrating moving from one valley to the next. Logging roads will stop 1/4 mile apart on the map but be 1000' different in elevation on opposite sides of a ridge.

Shadow Catcher wrote:You do however have to have a US passport (a solution in search of a problem concerning Canada (the most porous border).

lol I know of a pub on the US side that has room for 8 cars in the parking lot. A footbridge across the border ditch to a farm parking lot for the 20+ Canadians in the pub. In the 90's Blaine's sole source of industry was selling gas to Canadians.
lazerus
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to User Polls