Segregation?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Is segrgation Killing the forum?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes : 53

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:59 am

len19070 wrote:
Maybe this will become a "Super Post"?

Len

The powers that be won't allow that. They'll squash it long before it happens again. :DOH2: We have our fun (now perfectly named) chat rooms. 2 is enough.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Carter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:20 am

Took me awhile to find "New posts since last visit" Now that is where I start one or two times a day.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:44 am

Carter wrote:Took me awhile to find "New posts since last visit" Now that is where I start one or two times a day.

I've made it my T&TTT bookmark so that's all I ever see of the forum - works brilliantly.

Except.... (like just now) if you take too long to look through and reply to messages listed on the first page of new posts, when you jump to the second page, you get a blank page that says: No topics or posts met your search criteria

To avoid that, open each page of the new posts in a separate window or tab, before you start reading them. If you've not visited for a week or two, and there's 6 or 8 pages to go through, it's essential.

Andrew
Last edited by angib on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50 am

Miriam C. wrote::o Only 6 votes but they are all no for the same reason. :thinking: Wonder what the newbies are doing. :D

As a fairly new newb, I'm guessing that I joined after the segregation. At first, I cruised around the different areas but now that I'm familiar with everything, I just hit the "View posts since last visit" link. ;)
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33463
What if you were a cow and you had a cup of coffee?
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm another 'new posts since last visit' girl - and like Angib, it's my bookmark for the forum.
The only time I go specifically to an individual forum to see all recent threads is when work is completely out of control (like now) and I can only stop by every 4-5 days - in that case I'll load the main page, and be sure to check the Lady Teardroppers, Northeast, Cast Iron, Camping Secrets, Vintage Equipment and Recipes forums for new posts...just to be sure I don't miss anything when I click for new posts.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby bve » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 pm

angib wrote:Except.... (like just now) if you take too long to look through and reply to messages listed on the first page of new posts, when you jump to the second page, you get a blank page that says: No topics or posts met your search criteria

To avoid that, open each page of the new posts in a separate window or tab, before you start reading them. If you've not visited for a week or two, and there's 6 or 8 pages to go through, it's essential.

Andrew

I'll 'ditto' Andrew here, that's exactly how I surf the forum - been doing it that way since before I joined and I don't find that the site is any less active than when I joined. I think the 'super threads' do consume a lot of the activity that may have otherwise been unique smaller threads before. The 'Build Journals' forum has rounded up a lot of what would have been random threads too, and that is a good thing in my mind, I like the ease of finding and watching others' builds.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Endo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:56 pm

I just click "View posts since last visit" as well, then read the topics that sound interesting.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 am

Methinks the forum's death has been greatly exaggerated. What is the evidence of people being driven apart? I'm really curious about that. If there is a perception that posts are lagging it could be that thoughts are turning to other things as the holidays approach. Or are there specific individuals you think should be communicating who have not?

Guess I'm an oddball. I never even noticed the "View new posts" thing and had to search to find it just now and check it out. I usually check for the little tan icon at the left of each forum in the index. I'll look for tan icons in various areas starting with newbies to see if there's anyone I want to greet. Then I have 7-8 other areas I'm interested in and I just look for the tan icon to see if I want to check it. Might try it the other way for awhile.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:01 am

Like everyone else I goto "VPSLV". I only peruse the first 100.

I've noticed in the past some post the same question in multiple forums, maybe they are unaware of the function?
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dovaka » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 pm

i actually go one step further then everyone else and use this link to come ot the site
http://tnttt.com/search ... d=newposts
this shows te same thing as new posts since last visit but it is one less thing to click on. and unless im looking for a old post i always just use that and browse threw every topic and read the ones of interest to me
dovaka
The 300 Club

Postby humormeplease » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:28 am

We agree...new posts since last visit
John & Susan Image Yellow Jeep, Silver Shadow trailer, & a Dachshund weiner dog
humormeplease
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 am

caseydog wrote:I tend to come on the board and chose "New Posts Since last Visit" and go from there, so the segregation is not effecting me.

CD

I agree with CD. I just look over the posts since last visit. If there's something I want to check out, I go from there.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby jplock » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 am

I also use posts since last visit. That is the first page I go to, and was not aware of any segregation.
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:19 pm

" post since last visit" is the first place I go, unless I'm feeling a little narcissistic then I go straight to the "view your own posts" link and bypass what others think. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby pauld3 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:29 pm

caseydog wrote:I tend to come on the board and chose "New Posts Since last Visit" and go from there, so the segregation is not effecting me.

CD

Me too. :thumbsup:

Lynn
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls