How long did you lurk before you became a member?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Love at first sight - I signed up immediately!
39%
Several days.
9%
Several weeks.
11%
Several months.
19%
1 year.
6%
2 years.
3%
3 years or more.
4%
I've regressed back to lurking (except for this poll).
9%

Total votes : 93

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm addressing the world behind this world that we were all in at one point. Whether just for a moment, months, or years - we were all lurkers to this forum. How long did you lurk before becoming a member?

I personally lurked for about 3 years spanning back to a previous teardrop forum. A gathering in Death Valley is what made me jump in finally and become a member.

I often see when Newbies introduce themselves, they too throw around big numbers for time lurked before signing up. If you hesitated in becoming a member, explain why? Do you think there is anything the forum can do to encourage more immediate sign ups?

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:17 pm

I knew pretty quick that I wanted to built a trailer. Took some time deciding what and how to pay for it. Did not have all the money needed when I started, but it was enough and I work on the trailer for more than 16 months, just in time for IRG III. :thumbsup:
That was my goal for the time line. I'm still working on the last 10%. Have not done a lot in the last 5 months, but I'm starting to work on her again.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby len19070 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 pm

No lurking at all. Met Mike and Michell at a gathering shortly after they started the board in late july of 04, returned home a week or so later & joined in August of 04.

At that time I was involved with other boards dealing with Teardrop's (which are all gone now)

I've been interested in Teardrop trailers since the early 80's, and built my first batch in about 1987-88 and...some are still out there.

Same Kid & Trailer, May of 2010

In 1997 Grant Whipp hooked me up with my good friend Todd Brunengraber and I was probably the first active member of TearJerkers.

And after 75-80 trailers/restorations the rest is History. (yeah, I'm pretty proud of that)

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I got asked by a friend about TDs...went to the web...found T&TTT...signed up immediately...6 years later and it's still a hoot(usually).........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm

I signed up immediately! Did I have a choice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, how long did it take you? and why so long?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hotrod » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm

I signed up immediately, got active posting and slipped into lurker mode for a few years.. nothing, no posts nada..while i was building my teardrop. Then I got active after I was done building..I dont know why it worked out that way.... :thinking:
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I had joined the other tear drop forum just a couple of weeks before it imploded, and started lurking here at the beginning. I was hooked on Tears and Tiny Trailers immediately but it took me 8 months to finally join and post. I felt like I didn't have anything to offer. Most days I still don't, but post anyway. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Lookfar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:39 pm

It took me a couple of weeks, so I voted "several". I'd never actually spent any time on a forum before. Once I read enough to decide I could build a tear, I joined.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:07 pm

I was mostly admiring these small trailers but still trying to get my husband hooked on camping and if that had happened we would have needed a larger trailer.
He finally said it wasn't for him but I should still go. So I joined, learned then decided on my Little Guy which he bought me.

They are both keepers. :)
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 am

I bought a teardrop before I found the forum.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 am

:oops: Right away cause I wanted to see the pictures. Truthfully I found Steve Fredericks, and Mike's sites first then from there this one. There was never a chance of not joining cause I knew I was going to need help and knew for a fact I was going to build. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:16 am

I lurked a very long time. At least two weeks after finding this forum.

I found the number of Texans exciting, hence my own intro thread: "Good Grief, Another Texan"

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=21814

I was searching for A-liners IIRC when I stumbled across this forum. I recalled the teardrop I walked past everyday going to kindergarten. I finally had a clue what it might have looked like inside.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby ERV » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 am

I found the site and spent about 2 weeks reading. Then I joined-up. Spent another month or so looking and making plans, that kept changing. Finally realized that if I kept making all these changes I would be buried in a half built tear drop. :lol:
So..... Janny and I bought one so we could camp and enjoy life a little more. Have been working way to much for everyone else!
I now have a start on MY tear, but it is just the frame. But I have a plan and am going to start this spring. :thumbsup: Between camp-outs and get-togethers with all the friends we have made here on the site.
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 pm

mikeschn wrote:I signed up immediately! Did I have a choice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, how long did it take you? and why so long?

Mike...

Hey Mike, for you it should read, "Love at first site" (ouch).

Yeah, 3 years for me. However, a lot of that time I was shopping and investigating all of the different tiny camper designs, so this forum blended in with many other websites. In the early years this place was more a builders forum and I was 90% sure that I was not going to build but rather buy. So I didn't even think to sign up.

In fairness, our forum has really evolved over the years and now touches every facet of the teardrop and TTT lifestyle, so it's much more user friendly. Now it's common get members that don't have teardrops and are just in the investigation phase but are asking questions, learning, and even going to the nearest gathering and tenting it. We've come a long way in the diverse subjects and information being offered. Nothing is too small. Hell, just yesterday I went and bought a milk crate from the Container Store to sit on while showering in my Porta Privy. I think that little ditty came from Arne.

So anyhow, I'm glad I sent you an email about the Death Valley gathering and how I can sign up, and it was very cool that you buzzed me on the phone and "encouraged" me to become a member. Lurking is one thing, but live interactions are much better.

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:
Hey Mike, for you it should read, "Love at first site" (ouch).

Cute one!!! :cheerswine:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to User Polls