Fuel prices and camping....

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Will fuel prices influence your camping in 2011??

Yup....it's gonna be close to home camping <100 miles
20%
No problem...I'll go anywhere
11%
I've got a major trip planned...it's going to happen
10%
It will cut into my camping significantly
9%
It'll hurt, but I'll still go anyway, find other cuts to make
48%
Stay home and drink
No votes
Switch to a new Tow Vehicle
1%

Total votes : 79

Re: Deja Vu all over again!

Postby caseydog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Guy wrote:Dear All,

Here is a link to the first time this question was asked on the board, in 2005. Makes for a funny trip down memory lane. Note that the outrageous expected gas price was $2.00/gallon, up from 1.77.

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1802&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gas

That is funny. We are like the proverbial frog in the pot of slowly heated water. As long as gas prices go up slowly, we can't get enough of our big, gas-guzzling SUVs. The Ford F150 full-sized pickup is still the number one seller in the USA, even with it's terrible fuel economy.

That's why I have my doubts about big oil raising the prices too much, too fast. They need to boil us slowly. But, on the other hand, there is a big election in 2012, and they really want a rich white guy back in the white house, so I'm not sure what their top priority is.

It's a crap shoot. And. it's out of the hands of a regular working man like me.

All I want is for more European cars to make their way here. I would really love my next tow vehicle to be a Q5 with a diesel. But Exxon-Mobil wants my next tow vehicle to be a Suburban. After November 2010, I'm pretty sure what's going to be available to me.

BTW, Ford, GM and Chrysler could easily build the kind of TV I want to buy right here in the US, but so far, they aren't.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Gas prices in Humboldt County

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 pm

I'll still be going places cuz anywhere away from HumCo. is always cheaper $$ for gas. This area consistently "wins" for having the highest gas prices in the continental U.S. anyway, so towing out of the area will probably result in the prices I usually pay here in town. However, if this IS the trend, it would definitely influence the attendance at IRG 4.0 in 2012.
Joanie :vroom:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Doug, I remember in 2008 (June) we went on a 15 hour trip from Indiana to the Adirondacks in New York State. It was more expensive at $4.34/Gallon but it must not have hurt too bad because I really don't remember the "pain".

I'll still make some long trips but I'll try to combine them. There are two good Blues Festivals about 4 hours away and they happen to be "back to back" weekends again this year.

I'll just have to go to both and make a 12 day trip out of it. I love it when that happens. :twisted:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Re: Deja Vu all over again!

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm

caseydog wrote:
Guy wrote:BTW, Ford, GM and Chrysler could easily build the kind of TV I want to buy right here in the US, but so far, they aren't.

CD

CD, I bought a 2008 Ford Escape V-6 Front drive and have gotten pretty good economy from it. My best milage (ideal conditions) was 27 mpg towing the TD (at 60mph).

Normal average HWY mileage with the TD in tow is about 24 mpg in hilly terrain like Kentucky, West VA. and Virginia.

So far it's been perfect for a TV and I'm glad I bought it. Sure it could get better mileage but it's not too bad. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:56 pm

The greedy oil companies :thumbdown: are hell bent on returning us to another recession.
I remember paying $4.99.9 a gallon at Crane Flats just inside of Yosemite a few years ago.
I've always lived for my yearly getaway so I cut back on other spending and we just enjoy ourselves. Life is too short to just stay at home
Like Gage... we have no house payment 8) .
Besides we have a teardrop not some gas guzzling motor home and
sharing traveling expenses helps significantly.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Gotta Go Now

Postby mechmagcn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 am

blumie wrote:Part of our decision is also based on asking ourselves, If not now, when?

This my thinking also. A while back we were talking about "bucket lists" and I intend to keep checking things off of my list. If prices go as high as forecast, I'll just have to dig a little deeper into my pocket for the $$ to keep going. Having pretty much everything paid for helps tremendously.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:46 am

For me, a lot of it sorta comes down to, do I want to spend 125$ in fuel to go someplace like the Glyphs and back on a regular weekend? Nearly a 600 mile RT...Nope, those long haul weekend trips are in the past for me. Lots of us still have a mortgage and a daily fuel expense for commuting to deal with, so another 100+ in fuel just to get there for a weekend of camping might not be worth it to some. I'll stick closer to home. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 am

doug hodder wrote: I'll stick closer to home. Doug

That pretty much sums it up for me to!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:05 pm

69central California is said to be the most expensive costo was 4.22 on 4/19/11 it is said that a city I think Carmel is at 5 now.

maybe i should hook up the Prius and see it it will pull... :lol: This trailer is heavy it makes the carolla drag on steep driveways and bumps. I saw a third wheel set up but it cost over $3000 and would cost more to pull.

We just save up and go. So far all the place we are thinking of camping are 500 miles away. But we get about 30 with the corolla. We always make sure our cars have a tank that is no more then 1/2 full. It hurts less when I fill up. :R
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

GMC

Postby BrandonCormier » Mon May 02, 2011 6:45 am

I have a 1997 GMC 1500 with a 6cyl. Gas mileage is 28 to 30 hwy per gallon. I tow a 5 x 10 trailer with a golf cart, ice chests, firewood, etc and still get 26 mpg. I don't think a small camper will make much difference. (I hope anyway)
BrandonCormier
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kens » Mon May 02, 2011 12:26 pm

I just paid 4.15 in upper Ohio on Lake Erie. If you are not camping at 4.15 what will you do at 5.00.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls