What do you pull it with?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:38 pm

len19070 wrote:I pull with a Dodge Dakota, 4.7 V8

Update..New Truck 06 Nissan Fronteer, 2.5, 4 cyl Stick

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Usually I use the '65 Mustang. It was a good trip to Minden last summer. Sometimes I use the Escape (4 cyl 5 sp). Both do very well altough the brakes on the Escape are a lot better than the drums on the Mustang. :o Image
Image :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 pm

I will be pulling my Box Kite with a 1990 white Toyota 2 wd Dx cab pick up
5 spd chrome wheels(some rust), sunroof, 225,000 mile on orignal engine.
Needs some work, I am having the wheel barrings replaced tomarrow.
and if I am not pulling it it will be in the bed of the truck.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Spadinator » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:04 pm

1984 Nissan Kingcab 4X4......175,000 and still running strong...ugly as hell though!!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby IndyCubby » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey Spadinator...I have an old pickup too and I think it may be even uglier than yours! It's an old white Ford Ranger...but there is more rust on it than white paint. :)

Here is what I will be towing with, though. I was towing the Cubby with a TDI Golf, but on a whim traded it in on this new Honda Civic back in November. I'm still kicking myself for that decision! Nice car, but not a 50 mpg car.
Hope this Honda can handle it... Think it can? :thinking:

4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:28 am

IndyCubby wrote:Hey Spadinator...I have an old pickup too and I think it may be even uglier than yours! It's an old white Ford Ranger...but there is more rust on it than white paint. :)
Here is what I will be towing with, though. I was towing the Cubby with a TDI Golf, but on a whim traded it in on this new Honda Civic back in November. I'm still kicking myself for that decision! Nice car, but not a 50 mpg car.
Hope this Honda can handle it... Think it can? :thinking:

You shouldn't have any problem with 140hp. Is your Cubby under 1000# loaded? Just be sure to get a good
hitch on it. And what the hey, you'll get better than 40mpg once it gets broke in (we're not talking 500 miles).
I'm going to get one in a couple of months and most likely it'll have nav in it. Got to wait for the demand to
calm down. Taking a second look at the lower pic, I see you have a hitch. Is that custom built of factory?

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby IndyCubby » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 am

Hi Gage.

You're right, I do already have a hitch installed. It is a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com. Their design for this particular car is anything but hidden, though. Most of the hitch hangs under the bumper, but there's really not any room up under there to hide anything. It's pretty ugly.

The owner's manual actually says that towing is not recommended with this car and that it may void the warranty, but I have decided to ignore the warning. My tear is well under 1000 lbs. and I only tow short distances occasionally.

I've been fairly pleased with the car so far. Driving VWs for several years, it's been a big adjustment for me. I had always heard about how Honda's are known for their reliability. I have not had that great of luck, though....but I think the bugs are finally worked out. The engine was leaking oil at the main seal and the tranny had to come out to replace it. Also, had some airbag warning light issues. Like I said, both things seem to have been resolved. This car has a very quiet ride and handles very well.

I have clocked 10,000 miles on the car already and still only average about 30 mpg. People on a Honda forum to which I subscribe rarely break the low 30s.....so the 40 mpg highway rating on the sticker is inflated. If I had known that before buying the car, I would have kept my little diesel VW.

The Nav system is pretty neat. It was a $1750 option, so I chose not to get it. There is talk that Honda is having trouble with the Nav units in the Civic and they have stopped producing them with Nav temporarily....so it's probably good that you are waiting. Probably a good idea to let them work the bugs out anyway.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby TD4FREEW/CTD » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 am

this is the overkill i will tow my TD with if i ever build it!

its actually part of my username. love my Cummins Turbo Diesel!
TD4FREEW/CTD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 am

Which one?? The loader or the loadee??? :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Indy-

That's interesting, we are a Honda family, I've had one or my girlfriend/wife has had one ever since I started driving. We decided to get a VW Bug in 1999. It had so many problems that it was declared a lemon and VW bought it back. After 7 times at the dealer, they were never able to get the airbag light to shut off for longer than a month. I'm not saying that the Hondas are perfect, or any car for that matter, I just find your experiences interesting. No matter the reputation, all cars have their quirks.

A buddy has/had an MDX, he preferred the nav system in it over the nav system in his BMW. He said that the BMW system wasn't as smart. Don't know exactly what he meant but he is a computer guy so I figured he'd know.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Spadinator » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 pm

Hey Indy ugly trucks are the best!!!! You can't hurt them!!! What you can't see is the bashed in front fender from a lady that backed into me and the black doors salvaged from another truck and the primered roof!!!

I love the truck though!!! :thumbsup:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby IndyCubby » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:30 pm

Hey Asianflava-

My VWs always had electrical quirks. Seems like each one had a major issue right after I bought it, but then it was great. There's just something about the way VWs (and German cars in general) drive/handle that I love.

I'm almost positive that the issues I've had with the Honda are due to the fact that it is a brand new design this year.....mine was an early production car. I'm sure they will work the bugs out. One thing about the whole situation is that my service experience at Honda has been EXCELLENT! I have never in my life been offered a rental car for free from a dealership (they offered before I even asked). That is a nice change from VW...who is widely known for their terrible service departments around the country. :roll:

Spadinator:

The best thing about old trucks is that you can park them right next to the cart-corrals in a busy Walmart parking lot and have no worries whatsoever! One more dent just adds more "character", right? :lol:
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:48 pm

IndyCubby wrote:The best thing about old trucks is that you can park them right next to the cart-corrals in a busy Walmart parking lot and have no worries whatsoever! One more dent just adds more "character", right? :lol:

When there is a cart in th space where I want to park, I just push it out of the way with my truck. No way I'd do that the plastic bumpered cars. My truck is about to hit 195K, it looks like crap but it runs good. When people found out that we were driving it to FL everybody would say, "will it make it?"
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:59 pm

I've been known to own a few VW's, also raced a few (of some sort). I was also a test driver for Honda for a couple of years and for the last couple of years I pickup and/or deliver Honda's that are bought over the internet. In my opinion, the Honda Nav system is one of the best out there. As far as factory supplied. And it won't be a $1750 option for me. That's the only reason I would consider it over one I could get at the local electronics store.

Have a good day.

8)
Another way to enjoy life is to do a little bit of everything. Or at least try. :)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Endo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm

My winter project was installing a lift as well as a number of other modifications on my Jeep.
I thought I would share a picture of the Jeep and the Teardrop.
I had to buy a 10 inch drop hitch so the trailer would be level.
Maybe I should buy some 35 inch tires for the Teardrop. :lol: :lol:

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls