What do you pull it with?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby 2bits » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:24 pm

My 71 Chevy Stepside is my daily driver and will be my tow vehicle! I've got a 6 cylinder under the hood which gets great gas mileage too.

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby dhazard » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Thomas interesting way to up your post count! :lol:

I am having problems finding a hitch for my 69 Camaro, but I did pick this up.

An all original 67 C10 with a 283, 4 speed.
:D
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 pm

:o my old Toyota truck may not make it to New Mexico and back... so I thought I would look at this site to see what was a popular puller. well that is like looking on the steet and see what passes you up the most.

It does not seem to matter which unit you pull with ... they all seem to do it.
Ford Rangers seemed to be the most used. but old chevys came in a close second. several beetles, a prius, a miata or 2, we even have Bike members who did not raise there hands on this poll.

So what ever you like driving or what ever will suit your needs in every day travel or for long distance trips .... get what you want or want to restore they all will work model T to an old studabaker.

I am looking at Toyota 4 runners, Rav 4's, chevy Asto's, even VW Westies.
For long trips with 2 to 4 people a small SUV or van, but a simple sadan could work just fine. but when traveling with a trailer I like to ride a little bit highter then most cars. Just like to see the road ahead. My truck is to small for 3 people when traveling a thousand miles or more.

But what ever you drive saving gas is the main game now adays and unless you have several sets of wheels and it will only be used for the trailer trips you will not need a big car or truck, front or rear wheel drive, stick or automatic to pull most TD or TTT's

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 pm

When we get one or build one we plan to pull it with our 2006 VW Rabbit :) Any suggestions on how to haul the kayaks? We have two of them and they are really light weight.
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby billnut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Dam gas mileage is great! But the elec. cord is short!
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby satch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit wrote:When we get one or build one we plan to pull it with our 2006 VW Rabbit :) Any suggestions on how to haul the kayaks? We have two of them and they are really light weight.

Design a roof rack when (or if) you build, you should check out the "hall of fame", have some great ideas there. Just ask for help, and you you will be surprised at the feed back you will get. btw, WELCOME 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby B-Bop » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 pm

Here is my tow bomb. 29 Ford, 350 with 700r behind it gets everything down the road with plenty o speed. Tows like a dream.

B-Bop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete.wilson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey

Ingvar,

I love your 1957 Volvo Sugga military command car. It just has cool written all over it.

When I get or build a tear, I will pull it with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee or my 94 GMC Suburban. I will have one 5x10 and made for off-road.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby JeremyL » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:50 pm

If my teardrop ever gets farther than the planning stages I'll probably tow it with this until I get back into the hot rod/rat rod scene.

It's an 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S that I've owned since high school. Stock they're rated at 142 horses with a 2.2 turbo 4 cylinder. Mine's got a bit more go power, it's currently got larger injectors, a manual boost controller, and a performance computer in it. And if that's not good enough I've got a fresh long block on the stand that's about ready to go in there. That motor has a lot more goodies in it.

I've got a couple 60's suicide door Lincolns, and eventually I'll get one of them back on the road to cruise around in. Or I may even tow with the old F-250 diesel. It really just depends on how everything comes together.
JeremyL
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I remember those. There was an Omni GLHs that used to troll my home town in FL. Loved his license plate it said, "OMNIVR" I think it was Grassroots Motorsports (back then called Auto-X) project car.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JeremyL » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 pm

asianflava wrote:I remember those. There was an Omni GLHs that used to troll my home town in FL. Loved his license plate it said, "OMNIVR" I think it was Grassroots Motorsports (back then called Auto-X) project car.

For the longest time I lusted after an 86 GLHS. I'd still like to have one, along with an 89 CSX-VNT. I really don't have any room here for a car collection, but up until a couple years ago I generally had anywhere between 15 - 30 cars in my "collection." Nothing too terribly special, mostly Galaxies, Falcons, shoebox 49 - 51 Fords, and suicide door Lincolns. I also had an unhealthy turbo Dodge addiction, but never did have any of the special numbered Shelby stuff.
JeremyL
Teardrop Builder

Postby chorizon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:42 pm

The wife's car, whatever it is. When I originally planned on starting to think about building a TD, we had a relatively new Saturn L100. Now that it has 100,000 miles on it, not so much. I always have a gas-guzzling truck, so that's only good for short jaunts. For the Saturn replacement, we've been looking at the Nissan Murano, Toyota FJ Cruiser, and the BMW X3. Fuel mileage is a concern. Any thoughts?
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

How Hoss pulls his

Postby hoss 46 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:41 pm

Hoss 46
hoss 46
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wanders » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Towing with a 2001 VW Jetta TDI diesel. Car has larger injectors and heavy duty clutch along with a few other little modifications :) for power. I added some coil spring helpers after I took the pic. Car and trailer are now level.

Wally & Cathi

Director- Old Dominion Tearjerkers

Pied-A-"Tear"

wanders
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 pm

dhazard wrote:Thomas interesting way to up your post count! :lol:

I am having problems finding a hitch for my 69 Camaro, but I did pick this up.

An all original 67 C10 with a 283, 4 speed.
:D

Nice truck! (Sorry I didn't check into this thread again until now). I was thinking that I would just make my hitch since it's just square steel anyway.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls