HEATWAVE...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

HEATWAVE...

Postby vinoscooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:00 am

W/this heatwave there must be some ideas for keeping cool while you are ouside..I came across a mister at walmart,5.99...has 2 tips,about 3 ft tall..Hooks up to a hose.It works great,just haveing the mist close by realley helps...Could be home made,w/pvc..but couldn't find the tips...It works anywhere that has a water hook up..Camp grounds etc..light weight,cheap,& portable...So how do other's keep cool?...Heat stroke has beeb on the news alot lately...
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 pm

I've seen similar misters around pools (and outside bars) in Las Vegas.... in areas of low humidity, must cool by evaporation....

In places like AZ, they used to use evaporative a/c, not sure if they still do, or how efficient it is..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:52 pm

When I peddle home from work first thing I do is grab 12 ounces from the fridge :beer: then set up a chair next to the dog's wading pool 8). Twelve ounces in the gullet and feet in the pool. :R. Cooling from one end to the other. :lol:
Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Those misters work great................but you pretty much have to be in a lower humidity situation. Of course, a mister in front of a fan makes for some pretty cool air whether or not the humidity is up there. But I will caution..................a mister causes a LOT of rust, and don't kid yourself it doesn't. I had a misting setup in my barn once to help my llamas. It sure helped cool things off, but after only one summer, every piece of raw metal in the place looked as if it had set outside for 20 years. No kidding. :shock:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby ceebe » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:37 pm

I have a mister system on my porch. When the dewpoint is below 55, they're fantastic. If you go to an outdoor bar here in AZ, they all look like they're on fire from the clouds of mist rising!
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:45 pm

What Headwave? Only got up to about 80-82 today with humidity 55 - 60%. :D Cool weather does not make for 'safe' teardrop building. :fb I ripped my left thumb open today with my cordless drill. :cry: I was working on my door opening trim installation and did not predrill the .032 sheet aluminum that is my door liner and when I tried to drive a screw to hold the aluminum trim piece and applied too much pressure - you guessed it, drill slipped and the bit went right throught the tip of my thumb. :O :BE So, predrilling is important!! :oops:

Kerry

PS Hope it cools off everywhere else, sooooonn!!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Brad Lustig » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:03 am

Sorry to drag up an older thread, but I was wondering where these misters can be found for a reasonable cost. Looked everywhere in Walmart and can't find them. Been looking there for about 6 months so must not be a seasonal item there down here. I'm looking for them to put around my in-laws pool along with some fans. I wonder what the longevity of them would be because we have a lot of crap in our tap water. I'm not worried about increasing rust problems. My inlaws are on a saltmarsh so things couldn't rust out any quicker.
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:12 pm

It may be a regional thing because I've seen them at Wally world. I checked and I found some on eBay. Just put "Arizona mister" in the search box, they look fairly inexpensive.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:19 pm

I went to Home Depot and bought Rainbird mist heads ( about the size of a sewing thimble) for irrigation and used 12 of them for a misting application thing like you are describing. Works pretty good, don't remember the price. I don't think they were that expensive at all. You might find these will work for you also
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

brad...

Postby vinoscooter » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:32 pm

brad said:I wonder what the longevity of them would be because we have a lot of crap in our tap water. I'm not worried about increasing rust problems.

Do you mean the tips will clog up? most of the tips ive seen are made of brass..they don't rust up very much...
we have bad water here also..Ive been useing a single stand of wire off of one the old style drum brushes..to clean orfices ( the tips) of everything from carbide lamps to propane equipment since the 60's...I tryed it out on the mister from walmart..slide right in..Ive also stripped wire & used a single strand of the wire to clean them...Just ream them out once and a while...it'l keep the tips clear..The brush strands are more sturdy though..A stronger metal..I will try HD for the single tips...would realley like to build a large mister next year..W/a dozen tips or so..It's going to be 100 here today...mister time..& or maybe Miller time.. 8) Just think, another mo. or so we will be trying to keep warm... :) Toypusher :x OUCH ...take care
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:38 pm

Vinoscooter, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to use misters to cool my llamas. The brass tips won't rust, but they do tend to get a build-up of minerals...........just as your showerhead will, only quicker because the opening is so small.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Chris...had the same problem with my misters....get a gallon of Muriatic acid like used to clean up concrete. at HD and drop them into a cup full...it dissolves all the calcium....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby s4son » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:12 pm

Here are a couple links to companys that sell various sizes and types of misters.

http://www.bigfogg.com/index.html

http://www.advancedmistingsystems.com/evaporative_cooling.htm

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Return to User Polls