Exhaust Fans - a Necessity of Not

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How often, EACH time you camp, do you use your exhaust fan as an exhaust fan an not just as an open vent?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

almost never
33%
2 times/trip
11%
3 or more times
56%

Total votes : 9

Exhaust Fans - a Necessity of Not

Postby Todah Tear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I have had an exhaust fan in both tears that I have built, yet I almost never turned the fan on, never really needed it. I would pop it open for ventilation though.

I am trying to limit weight and since I don't use my fan, it started me to wondering whether an exhaust fan is really needed if a person doesn't camp in the summer or a hot climate.

I'm interested in your thoughts (pros and cons).

Todah :)
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:42 pm

all of my builds have never had an exhaust fan - Just either a window open or a regular top vent
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Haven't got a top vent so I have to run the exhaust fans to combat condensation on my all-metal walls.

Insulation is next winter's project. This summer's project is camping :D

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:41 pm

I've put them in all my tears. Mostly for resale value. I don't use them much, but then I camp mostly at higher altitudes, low humidity and it cools at night. I don't think I used it at all last year, just the vent. Didn't put one in the standy, or a ceiling vent. It's got 8 windows with screens and a screen door in it.

When I went to Minden Ne. I was glad I had one and ran it all night long. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Sam I am » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I didn't put one in my tear. I couldn't make myself cut a hole in a perfectly good roof, inviting leaks! I made a box with two 12 volt computer fans that can be hung on one of the windows. With both windows open, it makes a nice draft through the tear and cools it well. The fan box stows in a cabinet when not in use. The rotary switch on it will let either fan, or both of them run.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 am

Ours is strictly speaking not an exhaust fan as the two computer case fans blow in. One or both of them are always on usually on low when we do not need them for cooling. They sit far enough below the vent that if it is closed it will circulate the air in the cabin.
I think the key is that they are very quiet on low or medium speed so that they are not obtrusive.
When the heater is connected they will be on to help keep the air from stratifying and when the AC is plugged to the side of the trailer (think of it as a 5,000BTU pet cool) they will be on.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 am

I lock up my trailer all day and when I return it is hot inside and I get the heat out quickly with the exhaust fan. I also open up the doors and turn on the gen to get the lap top going which I have the regular counter fan on as well. Of course I live in the trailer as well. It has gotten to 100's when I get in on a hot day but quickly gets comfortable for me to goto sleep/nap after work.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Use them exclusively on all builds!! An acceptable difference in price vs. a non-powered vent, and they really do move alot of air. Use them every evening!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Both my builds have them and I will never build without one.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lytle1gw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 am

According to what we had for supper. :lol:
lytle1gw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 am

My tear isn't done yet, but Florida is on our yearly travel agenda so I figured we'd be needing one down there.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 am

A small 120 ac fan is used as a ceiling fan or placed in front of an open window as intake or exhaust.

We also have an O2Kool battery and 12 volt dc fan for off grid use.

I to, couldn't see cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof. :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rmclarke » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:02 pm

We just have a plain roof vent and big, opening vents placed low on our doors for cross ventilation. We also have pass thru/sliding door between the galley and cabin which I have a screen for, in case we want to leave the hatch open all night. (I haven't used it cuz camping so far has been on the cool side) Mostly we coast/mountain camp in Oregon/Cal. We have some O2cool fans also which weren't used this summer either.
I think where a person lives would be a big consideration as to whether or not to have a fan, but then, like doug said, considering resale value might be an important point too.
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 pm

We use ours quite often in hot weather besides it doesn't need to be hot to use one. :gas: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 pm

No fan but we have 3 doors and when we camp in the desert we need to keep all windows open and the back one a crake but we also have battery operated fans.
One is a tent fan the other a much larger one that sits by my wife who has lived in a medium environment her whole life.

I would love to have a built in fan, I even made space in the roof for one if I need but so far this system works.

You must live in a cooler part of Texas, the only parts I know are very very hot. Pan handle and NM & Texas line.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to User Polls