To insulate or not to insulate, that is the question.

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Did you insulate your walls.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:04 pm

No
28%
No but I wish I had.
No votes
Yes
69%
Yes but I have since decided I didn't need to.
3%

Total votes : 36

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Becky one thing to remember is that the sun is directly over heard for a relatively short period of time the rest of the time the sides get direct sun as well.

Good point, Shadow Catcher. And I am definitely open to learning from you folks who have been at this a longer time, so I will take this under advisement.

I am planning on awnings, which I plan to make myself. A dining fly off the galley, an awning on the curb side and a cabana room for changing and such (read that porta potty) off the other side. I would think those would keep the sun off the sides pretty well, but please educate me if I'm wrong.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby greekspeedoman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 am

I did insulate on my first build. However, my second build I only did the roof with a 3/4" wall. I've camped below 10 degrees and above 100 without problems. If you're worried about the walls sweating, then just put a little auto carpet on them as insulation.

I've found that having the insulation in the roof really helps on a hot day in direct sunlight. Insulating the roof only adds a few pounds and seems worth it to me.

When you have to leave a vent or window open for ventilation anyhow, then why insulate? Just take a thicker blanket.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 pm

I belive in the over insulation for one purpuse.

heating the dang thing.

I don't need to use much heat to heat it.

I use a 12 volt cermamic heator from a truck stop to heat mine.

it is 300 watts and called a road pro heator.

it is very small on heat out put.

with the extra insulation. I can stay plenty warm at nights.

I live in wyoming where heating is not a option but a nessity from like,
1st of august. and at some of the high elevations where I like to camp it can get frost on the grounds even in the summer times.

I do like the guy posting before me have most my insulation in the roof.

I have a double layer roof and I am talking 1x6s boards butted up to each other.

I have 2 inches of blue foam insulation between them and as I built my teardrop and closed the foam in with the bottom layer in 2009. I could feel the teardrop getting cooler as I worked in my hot shop.

I just compleated my last inside wall today. and feel It made for a really not so hot trailer too.

I camped out in my teardrop in july which was baking hot around 98 degreas and I was thankful for that insulation.

My walls have never sweated with it. My car carpet is just on my ceiling so far. but will be going on my walls soon.

I never with my 2inch foam in my walls or ceiling get much on condesation in my teardrop.

One reason is no humity in wyoming and one reason is the insulation.

Slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls