Satin, Semi Gloss, Gloss ???

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

what do you use to finish your tear?

Satin
25%
Semi Gloss
14%
Gloss
52%
Natural Wood Color
7%
Stained Wood Color
2%

Total votes : 44

Satin, Semi Gloss, Gloss ???

Postby ralaco » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:58 am

I’m going to finish the interior of my tear and I ‘m a little confused about how to finish it, I know I’m going to use Minwax spar urethane over birch plywood, but not sure how to get a real charm and cozy teardrop.

I would like to know what others had used.

:thinking:

Raul
Last edited by ralaco on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby Michael W » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Raul,

First and foremost, finish it how you want it. It is really a matter or your personal preference. Some like the shiny high gloss finish, others like the more muted low gloss. If you like a high gloss finish keep in mind high gloss will highlight any surface imperfections. Low gloss hides the little scratches, gouges and the like. Our local hardware store has a Minwax display with samples of different woods stained with different stains. You may want to see if you can find such a display to help you see what your birch would look like in different shades of stain.

Regarding the interior color, a lighter finish will make the interior appear larger (something usually desired in a teardrop) a darker color will give a more cozy feeling.

On our interior, we used red oak paneling, stained with Minwax Golden Oak stain and finished with Helmsman Satin Spar Urethane. It came out just as we wanted it. http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/woodfinish-color.cfm
Last edited by Michael W on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Ralaco, as Michael mentioned, a surface with less than a glossy appearance shows fewer imperfections. I personally would vote for using a Satin finish on most anything on a tear................that is, of course, unless you were doing an epoxy and polyurethane exterior. But on interiors and galleys I'd use Satin. Much easier to take care of..........and if you need to fix a ding later, it is easier to repair.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby ralaco » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Michael and Chris

Sorry, I already edited my post.

:whistle:

I’m talking about the interior of my teardrop trailer

I already bought Gloss spar urethane, :cry: but I think I’m going to change it for a satin one.

Michael in fact your tear finish is what I would like to copy, :thumbsup: but my wood is birch and I have heard horrible stories about staining birch. :frightened:

Raul
Last edited by ralaco on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby Michael W » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:53 pm

You may still be able to use what you have already purchased. The gloss level is determined by the final coat. and you should scuff sand between coats anyway. You can use the glossy urethane for the base coat buy just enough of the satin for the top coat.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:53 pm

To get the best polyurethene finish, you should use the gloss for the 1 and even 2Nd coat. It shows the tiny impefections more and gives you the chance to sand them out before putting the final coat of whatever 'sheen' that you want. Just my experience!

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Typically on finishes, you want to use a satin on the interior, cuts down on any harsh glare, a much warmer feeling, even in the house typically you would use semi-gloss in the kitchen, easier to clean...but I've never seen a gloss or semi gloss in a bedroom or living room... and you don't need the UV protection......on the exterior, I went gloss...gloss repels dirt, offers more uv resistance, and is easier upkeep...The flattening agents used in finishes also don't hold up to UV like gloss will....Just my experience...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby emiller » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:53 am

:D Seams to me that gloss is easier to wipe down and clean.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Stephen G. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:28 pm

ralaco its what ever makes you happy! My wife and I are going to use semi gloss. Its very classy looking to us. Take a look at the wipe on poly Minwax sells its very nice stuff and have used it before (semi gloss) simply wipe on and let dry and steel wool or sand and repeat. May take about three coats.

Please post some pic's when you get done and some pointers too ;)

Best wishes to you
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:07 pm

top Glossy 3 plus coats and primer
sides semi-Gloss 2 coats and primer
may add more in time.
also minwax sealer where natural wood is seen.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:11 am

olympic White gloss exterior! gloss- the only way to shine
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Whatever sheen you decide, boatfinisher's trick is to dilute your first coat of varnish 1/2 and 1/2 with paint thinner. Dilute the second coat 75% varnish, 25% paint thinner, then full strength varnish after that. The first and second coats penetrate into the wood, deep sealing it and giving really excellent adhesion to the top coat.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby hoytedow » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I just use good old Rustoleum Gloss for all exterior finish over a good Zinser oil based primer. Inside I use white for better visibility in low light conditions.
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Return to User Polls