Tube or Angle???

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Tube steel or angle steel for your frame

Tube steel
54%
Angle steel
34%
Combination of both
11%

Total votes : 61

Postby SteveH » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 pm

Still wondering what size and thickness those of you who built with angle iron used.

I used 2" X 1/4" angle building my frame. The tongue is made of the same angle with a 2" X 1/4" strap welded to the bottoms to make channels.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:09 am

While I'm no engineer...I do know this...I followed the Kuffel Creek plans on my Comet....it called out for 1 1/2 x 3 channel for the tongue....when it was all said and done...I hooked it up to the truck and stood and bounced on the tongue...It Bent!!!..I'm 6'2" 240....and I had 2 1.25 x 1.25 angles attached back to the frame....I boxed it with another piece of material...way stiff now....back further in his plans there is a picture of it and it is also boxed...I think he forgot to mention it up front...Just my experience....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby SteveH » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:24 am

it called out for 1 1/2 x 3 channel for the tongue....

Doug,

Am I reading that correctly, 1 1/2 X 3" CHANNEL for the tongue? Is that in a single tongue configuration with the channel open to the bottom, or a double V type tongue with the channel open to the inside?

EDIT:

Doug,

Went to your gallery and saw a picture of it. I would not have expected the channel to be strong enough in that plane, open to the bottom. Channel is strong in the other plane, and would have been super strong in a V configuration.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 pm

SteveH wrote:I would not have expected the channel to be strong enough in that plane, open to the bottom.

3" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" channel oriented with the bottom open has a Z value of 0.265 in3 if you want to compare it with other tongue sections on my tongue strength page.

The same channel oriented with one side open is over 4 times as strong (in vertical bending) and 2" x 2" x 1/8" square tube is more than twice as strong.

No wonder it bent!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ron Shaw » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:28 pm

I am using the 2X2X1/8. My wife and my youngest son are the ones who insisted. My son is going to do the welding and he has done the welding for a couple of dragsters that are still together, so I figure he must know what he is doing. I personally think it is a bit of overkill myself but he should know what he is talking about. Supposed to start the welding this Saturday. 8) I've been waiting for this for WEEKS. Please wish me luck on my tear.... :worship:
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Dreamer
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 pm

I used tube on the first trailer because it was actually cheaper..but on the next one, if i don't just buy a trailer, i'll use angle this time and like it.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:55 pm

I'm using a combination of both on my frame. I came up with a slightly unorthodox design that will be strong, have good support for the sides and still be completely hidden. The tongue and first two and last X-member will be tubing, with the side rails, tongue braces and any extra X-members being 2X2X1/8" angle. Only my angle side rails will be down and out so if you look at the frame from the end it will look like and L on the sides. This will give me a good surface for spring mounts and I will cut 2X's to sit on the angle and come up to the top of the frame. They get bolted to the angle and the deck will sit right on the frame and these 2X's. No need for a wooden under frame. And this will give the walls support without the frame showing.
I'll try to get a drawing done to make it a little clearer.

This is my current design for my frame
Last edited by Nitetimes on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:48 am

Tube or Angle???

Why is that the only option? I believe if I were to ever build another trailer frame, I'd use channel. Channel is significantly stronger than angle, not much more expensive, will not need mounting tabs as a tube frame would, and is much easier to double than angle over the axle mounting if you so desired. It is also stronger than angle in a V tongue installation than angle.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:31 am

Sorry Stephen for not responding sooner, but as I remember Camp-Inn uses 2x2x1/8" angle for their normal frame and 2.5x2.5x1/8" on their off road frame. I used 2x2x1/4" for mine because the road to my house is very rough. You can see the pictures of it in my Hall Of Fame link. Hope this helps
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 pm

My "first choice" is tubing. I used 2" x 2" x 1/8" frame and 1/4' for the tongues on the stripper and my 'Diner.
After reading this thread and re-visiting Denny's site, I'm gonna use channel on the next one. A fabricator in my area made the same comment about tubing rotting inside out. He uses channel exclusively for his trailers, equipment and car haulers. If you check Denny's frame, you'll see that a real nice job can be done. Just a tad more work in the fit-up.
I'd like to build an ultra lite classic, say a Modernistic, for my kids to fight over...er.. use. They both have lighter cars, So the lighter weight factor will be a big consideration.

Next poll?? Channel out or in?? Up or down??
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby elmo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:35 pm

Let me see if I have read between the lines enough.

I am going to be ordering steel tomorrow, and I want to go with tubing. It sounds like most of you would use 2x2x1/8th if you were going to use tube.

On the hitch I was thinking 3x3x3/8" or is this all over kill? I wasn't gonna use a A-frame or should I?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Elmer
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:43 pm

I can't seem to vote, but I used both. Tubing for side rails and tongue, angle for everything else.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Leon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:00 pm

I use tubing and miter the corners, and seal any open ends with a welded plate. That way there is no way for moisture to get inside to rot out the inside. I'm in the desert so what little might be in it when I weld doesn't figure to be a problem, and if you wanted to you could purge the tube by running some of the argon from the torch through the tube. Seems like overkill, trailers I've welded up 25 years ago still don't show any sign of rustout even when used in water.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 pm

A friend of mine built a boat trailer once. He was concerned about rust too as it was salt water mostly. But what he did was sealed the tubing frame on all joints & ends , then installed an tire air valve & kept it pumped it full of nitrogen at about 50 pounds & never had a rust problem. Just checked the pressure once in a while . Worked great! just an observation.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I'm just going to have the frame galvanized. Seems the most simple solution to me. :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls