If you were to build it all over again ...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

If you were to build it all over again, what's your main reason for rebuilding?

I really wanted better quality
14%
I really wanted it longer
8%
I really wanted it taller
4%
I really wanted it wider
21%
I really wanted it lighter
17%
I really wanted a woodie
3%
I really wanted a vintage looking aluminum one
3%
I really wanted a more modern looking one
0%
I really just want to purchase a factory model
3%
Other, I'll add my note below!
26%

Total votes : 205

Re: If you were to build it all over again ...

Postby Donutboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:My next build, if there ever is one, is probably taking shape somewhere in Elkhart Indiana.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I've seen a couple of gutted out air streams come up for sale locally where the owner started the work and then gave up. This is intriguing...
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:29 am

My overweight tank of a build 4x8 has almost everything I imagine I'll need for solo camping...however, if ever the occasion occurs where my wife could join me (I started the build for her), then I see the advantages of a 5x10 (if a teardrop/derivative) or even a 6x12 (if a standy). Extra width for dual occupant sleeping space, extra length to fit in all the necessities. I would incorporate somewhat lighter materials, but not where strength counts. If the wife wants a standy, then one with a raisable roof-line. I don't anticipate building either for a while; we travel solo 99% of the time, and we have a 20ft TT standing by, unused, if we do travel together. Actually, I wish to try building a 5x10, just to fit the equipment in better, and to satisfy my need to keep on working on it.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I am presently on build #2. My new one will be narrower, off road capable, completely self contained. Trailer will have full size tires and electric brakes with independent suspension. body will be 5 wide instead of 6 wide and will have basement storage. We will also have foam mattress(no more air), prefabed doors, and a pull out fold away kitchen. Our goal is five minute setup including awnings and side tent.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby anntann » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 am

woot! old poll...still relevant!
Our first was 5'x10'. heavy-ish, but towable by a car if you're careful (we use a van). but...fiberglassed wood sides/top. hmmm
2nd tear is ultra light, 42"x8'. easy tow. Trailing arm springs/axle things. easy for offroad. rides like a dream. but again...fiberglassed wood top, painted wood sides. it's...okay. but darnit..

I Want an ALUMINUM early styled tear! :beer:
anntann
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ArtMini » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

If I was to build it all over again..........

I would like it:
longer
wider
lighter
better outside finish
larger tires
vintage look
taller
better kitchen
Last edited by ArtMini on Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I would design more complex. I want a high\low to lessen wind resistance. A lower profile sure would be nice for towing.

It would have a round front with Windows, for style.

Five feet wide instead of four.

Gosh, but I love our little camper just the way she is!

Tomorrow
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby VT800C » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm

well it's coming along. What would I like? wider (so wife would try it) Insulated (so I don't need to worry about condensation) make sure it doesn't leak (a constant fear) just a lot of little tings. but the main thing is, it's a PROJECT. it will never be finished. I will find some little doohickey to add to it, whether it's a solar powered 'BAR' sign to a porthole window I can try outing in the door to the TV mount to the shelves and pass-through to the backsplash to the....you get my point.

I guess the answer is...want what you have.
VT800C
Teardrop Builder

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 pm

When I did Conch Fritter's cedar strip siding I decided to take a chance and use just 7 coats of poly instead of going epoxy/poly. I regret that decision. This spring I completely stripped one side and will do the other this coming fall, but still only using spar poly, as I've never done epoxy/FG on a vertical surface. In the meantime, between camp trips, I'm going to try my hand at practice layup of vertical epoxy cloth layup and see how it comes out. If practice works, then I will take down both sides (again) and do it properly.

We are considering building another, but going much bigger while keeping the weight about the same (1,340# loaded). We love Conch Fritter and have no intention of selling, so we'd probably have two if we do build another. Our present one is probably 60%+ foam. If another I'd go for much higher level, like maybe 85%.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm going to start over.

About 10 years ago I started to build a 5 x 10 Grumman II inspired teardrop on a custom built trailer frame. Construction progressed to attaching the side walls and galley bulkhead. Ooops. My home made doors warped probably because I used wood framing with too high a moisture content that I leaned against my workbench for1 to 2 months. Life intervened and my plans stalled, changed, and considerably evolved

I'm going to start over using just the trailer frame, Dexter torsion axle and the 14" wheels I began with. Plus other parts like LED lights, wiring, a PD 4045, plywood and much more that I purchased over the years. I'll tear down the existing walls, bulkhead and floor. The warped doors will be junked too.

For the do-over I'll build a 64" wide by 121" long Benroy(ish) inspired teardrop. It'll have more spacious and functional interior cabin and galley areas. The strongest motivation to build a Benroy, instead of a Grumman II, is to have plenty of flat roof area for a permanently roof mounted 160 watt solar panel so its comfortable to boondock for a week or so at a time. I'm 6'4" tall so the two door cabin area will have enough room for a 60" x 80" queen sized bed. The galley will have room for a Camp Chef Oven on a slide out drawer and a chest style ac/dc fridge freezer on another slide out drawer. An AGM battery stored inside the teardrop will be able to be re-charged by shore power, solar power and/or the tow vehicle's 7-way wire connections.

My Subaru Forester has a 1500 pound towing capacity for a trailer with brakes. I'm using a Dexter #9 torsion axle with brakes. The goal is to build a teardrop that weighs 1200 lbs. or less unloaded. To help keep the weight down it will be skinned on the outside with fiberglassed 1/8" plywood, not aluminum sheets. I'll need to be very weight conscious as its built in order to have enough available towing capacity to load the teardrop with cooking and camping gear, food, water, (adult beverages), bedding, clothing, etc.

:thumbsup: :thinking: I'll start a (re)build thread soon.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Whelp ... after building 9 or so ... I've got a book of things I'd like to (and have) done over!

Here's one not often talked about. I'd pick the best darn tapes I could get my hands on. That's right, tape. I swear by premium tapes now. Use the right tape - VHB, EternaBond, 3M All-Weather, CornerSeal, Tite-Seal Steel-Loc, 3M Scotch Super 33+ - and the build becomes SO MUCH BETTER.

Cheap tapes - and adhesives in general - just waste your time.

I'd also have bought every single Kreg jig I could get my hands on :thumbsup:
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:40 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:My next build, if there ever is one, is probably taking shape somewhere in Elkhart Indiana.
why there?? and how will it change??
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:Whelp ... after building 9 or so ... I've got a book of things I'd like to (and have) done over!

Here's one not often talked about. I'd pick the best darn tapes I could get my hands on. That's right, tape. I swear by premium tapes now. Use the right tape - VHB, EternaBond, 3M All-Weather, CornerSeal, Tite-Seal Steel-Loc, 3M Scotch Super 33+ - and the build becomes SO MUCH BETTER.

Where do you use that tape?
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 am

Ron Dickey wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:Whelp ... after building 9 or so ... I've got a book of things I'd like to (and have) done over!

Where do you use that tape?

- VHB: Just getting started with it. So far, it's the best stuff I've found to attach aluminum siding to plywood without oil canning.
- EternaBond: Seals the bottom edge of all aluminum siding and the backside of riveted lap joints.
- 3M All-Weather: Flashing for window or door rough openings. Most conformable.
- CornerSeal: At the wall-roof edge joints.
- Tite-Seal Steel-Loc: Same as 3M All-Weather. Not as conformable, but sticks better to polystyrene.
- 3M Scotch Super 33+: Electrical tape. Strong adhesive; no residue.

And that's just the start of the list! :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby compassRose » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Esteban wrote:I'm going to start over.

About 10 years ago I started to build a 5 x 10 Grumman II inspired teardrop on a custom built trailer frame. Construction progressed to attaching the side walls and galley bulkhead. Ooops. My home made doors warped probably because I used wood framing with too high a moisture content that I leaned against my workbench for1 to 2 months. Life intervened and my plans stalled, changed, and considerably evolved

I'm going to start over using just the trailer frame, Dexter torsion axle and the 14" wheels I began with. Plus other parts like LED lights, wiring, a PD 4045, plywood and much more that I purchased over the years. I'll tear down the existing walls, bulkhead and floor. The warped doors will be junked too.

For the do-over I'll build a 64" wide by 121" long Benroy(ish) inspired teardrop. It'll have more spacious and functional interior cabin and galley areas. The strongest motivation to build a Benroy, instead of a Grumman II, is to have plenty of flat roof area for a permanently roof mounted 160 watt solar panel so its comfortable to boondock for a week or so at a time. I'm 6'4" tall so the two door cabin area will have enough room for a 60" x 80" queen sized bed. The galley will have room for a Camp Chef Oven on a slide out drawer and a chest style ac/dc fridge freezer on another slide out drawer. An AGM battery stored inside the teardrop will be able to be re-charged by shore power, solar power and/or the tow vehicle's 7-way wire connections.

My Subaru Forester has a 1500 pound towing capacity for a trailer with brakes. I'm using a Dexter #9 torsion axle with brakes. The goal is to build a teardrop that weighs 1200 lbs. or less unloaded. To help keep the weight down it will be skinned on the outside with fiberglassed 1/8" plywood, not aluminum sheets. I'll need to be very weight conscious as its built in order to have enough available towing capacity to load the teardrop with cooking and camping gear, food, water, (adult beverages), bedding, clothing, etc.

:thumbsup: :thinking: I'll start a (re)build thread soon.

This is what I'm trying to design now. I have a Camp Chef oven/stove combo and want to get an Orion 35 cooler and do slides for both with a center sink in the galley. My husband is 6'3" so a standard queen bed is a must. Send me a PM if you start a build thread so that I can follow. We have a KIA Sportage that has a 2000 lb tow capacity. So, I want to keep the TD to 1000-1200 lbs max.
Christine
"I hear a wind
Whistling air
Whispering
In my ear."
From the song "Roam" by the B-52s
compassRose
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I'd use less wood and lighter foam for th e cabinets in th e rear.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls