Galley cabinets do how do you build them

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

When I built my galley cabinets I.

Build them in the shop then installed them as a complete unit
5%
Build them in the shop then installed them individual parts
12%
Build them in the trailer totally
21%
Build the basic frame in trailer then built parts in shop and inserted
23%
Cabinets where not what I did I just have shelves
5%
I used baskets and shelves
2%
Cabinets have no doors
7%
cabinets have doors and doors
14%
cabinets have just doors
9%
cabinets have just drawers
2%
I have access to the cabin from the galley
No votes

Total votes : 43

Galley cabinets do how do you build them

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 pm

More the question is do you build it and then put it in or build it in place in the galley?

"5" choices :)
you can change vote because you might have build a new trailer and changed the way you do it. :beer:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Galley cabinets do how do you build them

Postby citylights » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

I was paranoid about them fitting... So I built them in place, piece by piece, each piece of wood custom fit and glued for its location. For a one off custom project it worked. i can imagine the nightmare that would be for a mass production facility!
citylights
500 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I drew the design then made a frame out of pine making sure it fit. I then glued 1/8 inch oak plywood to the surface and routed out the openings. I build the drawers and then I ordered the doors and drawer faces through raw doors to my specific measurements. I surfaced the edges with wood tape, finished everything and then screwed the hinges on. Looks great! Check out my build thread below.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat May 17, 2014 10:24 am

I am not sure if this was for just TD's or if information for a CT conversion/build was okay, so I included my CT build data.

I purchased a CT without cabinets and decided to build my own:

1) I built the framing in the shop and cut the pieces to assemble the front, bracing, slatted shelves, and top in the shop and installed them in the trailer. Because the trailer dimensions were not as true as one would have hoped for, most pieces needed to be scribed and required trimming at the install.
2) I had planned for doors, but a few trips out have worked well without them, I have decided to leave them off for now ... but, I am still considering their addition. :thinking:
3) I have since acquired a small SS sink to replace the green enamel one in the photo (I am somewhat of a scrounger) and the counter top is to be changed at the same time to solid/glued-up wood (the plywood in the photo was from recycled wood and will be pulled) top.

The only galley cabinet photo I have in its current state is when I was camping the last time out. I have added it below, but the baskets are to be changed due to them not fitting in the cabinets well. The top is somewhat cluttered in this photo ... I have since added a shelf to the the left (street side) that will hold many of the small things and am building a small trash can holder that will get rid of the white bag in the left-center of the photo. I am glad I took these trips during the build (I will be using the trailer during my move to Minnesota over the next couple weeks) to help decide on what works best for me. :D
Attachments
The unfinished Galley at work - coffee and a great burrito on the stove - small.JPG
The unfinished Galley at work - coffee and a great burrito on the stove - small.JPG (136.67 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Looking thru CS Door at Galley Face Frame .JPG
Looking thru CS Door at Galley Face Frame .JPG (142.85 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to User Polls