How many consecutive days camping in teardrop??

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby Jonpachla » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:05 pm

We are supposed to be gone for 18 days with a TD and tent for two kids. So four altogether. Wondering has anyone gone this long?? I'm a little nervous. I'm wondering if we should just take the 20ft motohome
Instead. Half and half, rustic/modern
Jonpachla
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How many consecutive days camping in teardrop??

Postby coop74 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:56 pm

We have gone 10 days. If the weather is good and there is a store near by and we have power I could live in mine... Then again I was in the military and could live out of a rucksack.
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 pm

I spent 21 consecutive nights camping in my teardrop last summer in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. It rained eight of those days/nights.

I spent 27 consecutive nights camping in my standie this past June in Calif, Or, Wa, BC, AB, MT, WY, ID, UT, and NV. It rained 11 of those days/nights.

Long trips require a different kind of planning, for instance instead of planning meals, you must plan provisions so you can be flexible about meals.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby coop74 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I spent 21 consecutive nights camping in my teardrop last summer in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. It rained eight of those days/nights.

I spent 27 consecutive nights camping in my standie this past June in Calif, Or, Wa, BC, AB, MT, WY, ID, UT, and NV. It rained 11 of those days/nights.

Long trips require a different kind of planning, for instance instead of planning meals, you must plan provisions so you can be flexible about meals.

<Chas>
:beer:

remind me not to go camping with you... 8)
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Bear and Jen over at the CampInn forum full time in theirs...there's probably a couple years of combined time there :).

My record is 10 days. We would have gone 15 but we ran out of resources on the road....we had to trim a couple nights. Bad planning on my part. Bug it was pretty easy once you fall into the routine...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 pm

To date, my longest trip was 21 days/nights and, I think it rained 11 or 12 of those days. Trips of that size do require some detailed planning. Because it was just the dog and I, I was able to pack enough food so that I only had to purchase a little ice, some fresh 'dairy' and some fresh spinach plus I think I ate two dinners and two lunches elsewhere. All of my food for those 21 days could fit in a bear box* and I even brought some of that food home with me. With your kids along, you probably won't be able to pack enough; so, hopefully, you can plan your stops ahead of time and know where the grocery stores are before you get there.

KOA's are especially nice for family because they have activities to entertain kids plus you can take showers and do your laundry there. Many of the KOA's even have breakfasts and dinners available for purchase on site. While traveling, I've only run into one really bad KOA. Even the dog hated that one. Ironically, it was the most expensive one that we stayed at. In my opinion, KOA is quite often a God-send to a weary traveler, regardless of which RV you take.

(But, I think, with 4 people, I'd be mighty tempted to take the bigger RV.)

* The Bear Box measurements that I found are 36”D x 43”W x 28”H
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jonpachla » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm

We plan on moving every few days. So we will be mobile. My biggest concern is multiple days in a row of rain. We have the TD a tent and two canopies. Along with a large tarp to do a ridge line if needed. I think it will be an adventure. But the cautious side of me is screaming. Take the MH. This trip will be in Mi upper penisula
Jonpachla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:13 pm

14 days .
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Twenty-three days this June to July.
I think "Bear" said he's been full time in his Camp Inn for 7 or 9 years.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Arne » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Shirley and I had planned a trip South back in 2006 (?). We were going to camp in my Honda Odyssey van with dog. I just knew we would start off all neat, but after a couple of days it would be a big mess. I was reading notes on the Honda Odyssey forum and tear drop trailers were mentioned. I googled them and it was like a light went off (or on).

It was a bit over 4 weeks before our planned departure date. Thanks to information from this board (found it via google as well), we left one day late with a newly built tear drop trailer.

The trip was from CT to FL over to Avery Island, LA (Tabasco sauce), up to Chicago for my college reunion, and back to CT via Canada. About 5,000 miles and 30 days..... Not one problem with the trailer.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:59 am

8 days same camping spot on the north shore of lake Superior and one month traveling to California and back.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Jonpachla » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 am

What was the biggest challenge for stays over a week?
Jonpachla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ParTaxer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:28 am

I like to spend every few days while traveling in a motel. Especially if it is just for a touch and go. Gives me a chance to research up coming spots using the WiFi.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 pm

I can honestly say that I planned well enough that the only challenge I had were my navigating skills. :roll: Summer road construction detours threw me off my planned route a few times, causing confusion and, ultimately, getting lost sometimes; once, ending up on a reservation; and, once, even ending up in the wrong state! :lol: Ah, the adventure was priceless and made for good memories and chuckles.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:39 pm

24 nights as of last night. Leaving for another 6 or 7 nights tomorrow morning. Yes, it rained, but I had a 5x7 screen room with rain fly and outter walls to be able to sit in a chair. I was also very busy with site seeing, so I kept busy.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to User Polls