Hunting out of a TD or Tiny Trailer

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Hunting out of a TD or Tiny Trailer

Postby ae6black » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Curious how many use their little trailers for portable hunting cabins?
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Hunting out of a TD or Tiny Trailer

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

I no longer hunt, but the first original teardrop I ever saw was on a deer hunting trip, a fellow camped near us with one, probably in the mid 1970's or so and I was infatuated even then with it. Beats sleeping on the ground by a long shot. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby TESKELLY » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Yep I do up here in British Columbia
TESKELLY
Teardrop Master

Postby pjsauls » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Not yet - hope to soon.

John
"Fate is the hunter for those least prepared." -Ernest K. Gann
pjsauls
Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Building mine for the main purpose of hunting I hunt a lot of public land and will really enjoy the gas mileage pulling the tear and not having to pitch tent and unload gear to hunt next morning usually arrive after dark not to mention no more wet sleeping bags when it storms
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby atoddy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:19 am

Am building mine for that purpose also, the odd trip away with the family to keep them happy as well. The ability to have everything you need already to go, just add food and rifle and I'm gone for the night or weekend. Awesome!!
atoddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ae6black » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Had a great time hunting out of my TD in both 2013 and 2014. Both years hunted out of Chapman Dam State Park in northern Pa. 128491122752 Lots of other campers hunting out of their rigs. But because they were so much larger, they had a tendency to burn through a lot of Propane. I kept warm with a little ceramic heater. Also got to enjoy a fire each night. These little trailers shine for use as a base camp in winter.
Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 pm

ae6black wrote:Had a great time hunting out of my TD in both 2013 and 2014. Both years hunted out of Chapman Dam State Park in northern Pa. 128491122752 Lots of other campers hunting out of their rigs. But because they were so much larger, they had a tendency to burn through a lot of Propane. I kept warm with a little ceramic heater. Also got to enjoy a fire each night. These little trailers shine for use as a base camp in winter.
Art

I have a 6 leg, 10 x 20' model of the canopy. It takes two of us about 45 minutes of dedicated time to,set it up.
Yours is smaller and looks quicker to set up. How quickly can you do it? Can you do it with one person?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm

I have arthritic fingers it's cold when I camp so I always look for the easy way. For me this has proven to be put half the ties on per side until the the tarp is attached to the frame. After the tarp is partially on I go back and install the remaining ties. Then I put two poles in one side and then stake them down. Then go back and insert the third pole and stake it down, and then the fourth. If you don't stake the poles down as you go it's going to flop all over the place. Putting the tarp up isn't much of a problem as long as you stake the thing as you go. I like the heavy tarp for cold winter camping because of all of the snow and ice. This thing is heavy duty enough that it'll take freezing temps and blowing snow. I rarely even use a tarp or easy up during the summer unless I am camping out in a field in the hot sun for days at a time. My only problem this last year was a mouse I named "Wolverine" that got in my tow vehicle while I was setting up camp. Vicious little pest chewed up a whole roll of toilet paper, got into my candy bars and ate one of them and left his calling cards everywhere. He also chewed a hole in a sock and was into my bread which I stored in the TV. His cousins also raided my TD's galley area and stole some peanuts and chocolate chips off of me. I let them have the rest. I've never liked eating someone else, let a lone a rodent. Couldn't catch him until I got home a week later. Got him with a mousetrap.

Happy camping!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks Art.

I am going to have to add this my things to look at after my other build tasks are done; for the trips where I do not want to wrestle with the big one. But I want to back my CT in one end. So I will have to do some measuring.

PS. I understand it about the critters. Mine was a small bear who raided our outside cooler and stole our sirlon and ice bag. Everyone has to learn the hard way and that was our lesson.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby DezPrado » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:14 am

ae6black wrote:Curious how many use their little trailers for portable hunting cabins?

That was the main purpose for me building mine. Years ago, got back to my camp one afternoon with my son, in the rain, to discover the tent had been removed by the violent wind. Slept in the truck that night.
First @ last time. Never again! Been great ever since, location appropriate of course.
DezPrado
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 am

I have not used mine for hunting as it is not offroad capable however my new one is and my design includes a gun and bow capinet and a separate area for hunting clothes to keep them scent free.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Hey how about showing some pictures of your modifications. Considering how few deer I've been seeing in the last few years, some sent modification might be in order. I used to hang my Hunting clothes in a garbage bag with fresh cut hemlock but haven't done it for a few years since I haven't been seeing as many deer. I also don't hunt nearly as hard as I did in those days.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:00 am

I would use mine too but it seems a little much when all I have to do to hunt is walk into my back yard, perhaps just a little way behind the barn. was watching two doe this morning out my bedroom window. but if I did have to a distance to hunt I would take my TD. I would build one just for hunting out of.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atoddy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:50 pm

The Todd Pod is up and running, my new home away from. I now have all the luxuries of home when I go hunting. I can even light a fire in the middle of my lounge and the wife is ok with it lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448686194.482437.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448686194.482437.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 6656 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448686155.952975.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448686155.952975.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 6656 times
atoddy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to User Polls