Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy?

Build?
76%
Buy?
24%

Total votes : 84

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:16 pm

(That quiet voice from within)
"...If you build it, they will camp."

What are the price comparisons

Postby Guy » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:34 pm

Dear Grant,

What are the approximate price comparisons between buy or buid for your proposed pregnant teardrop?

I happen to agree with some of the posters that the market will be determined by the MARKETING. Given that the babyboomers begin to hit age 60 this coming year and do not seem to be slowing down in their leisure time activities, how you define your target audience will control the true outcome.

I happen to think many folk would love to take the grandkids camping. I have a great time when there are young children at a campsite. It gives you a great excuse to eat smores.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 am

Someone sugested it would be useful to know what size Grant was discussing in this thread, so I've done a quick sketch of a trailer the size Grant said - clearly, it's not the design that Grant has done!

With a trailer this size there are many possible layouts. This one has a transverse dinette that makes a 60" double for (blue) parents - the red panel is a fold-down extension of an upper bunk that has space for two (green) kids. The width of the kid's bunk is only 44" but it is 80" long.

As well as a huge galley at the back, there's room behind the bunk area for some serious storage and/or utilities like water tanks, batteries, propane, etc.

It's a 'real' teardrop, though its overall size is comparable to the smallest Scamp trailer.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:40 pm

Hey, Andrew!

That IS a great visual for a size perspective ... Thanks!
And, you are right - there are so many ways you can configure that kind of space.

I gotta say, though ... 29 out of over 2,000 members isn't the response I thought this poll would get. Less than 2%! Maybe there'll be more during the Holidays when more folks have time to read the 'Board?

Thanks, again, Andrew! BTW, would you mind dropping me a note at [email protected] please?

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Gage » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:48 am

Grant, I voted to buy. I'm not really interested in that type of a teardrop. Although after building one, I would buy the next. I have a Vintage Travel trailer which meets our needs just fine. Although I think the concept is good for the family who wants to go teardroping but want the kids inside and not in a tent. Marketing will be the key.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joseph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:32 am

goldcoop wrote:Isn't 4' too tight for two? Not knocking anyone's TD, I just think the vast majority of COUPLES would rather have a 5' !

The couple must be very, very friendly. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't want a teardrop any bigger than a 4x8. If I'm going to go any bigger, gimme a TTT like my 13' Scotty.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Joseph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:40 am

Grant Whipp wrote:I gotta say, though ... 29 out of over 2,000 members isn't the response I thought this poll would get. Less than 2%! Maybe there'll be more during the Holidays when more folks have time to read the 'Board?

Hey Grant,

Doesn't surprise me a bit. There is SO much traffic on this board that I seldom take time to read it and then I only read the subject lines that interest me - maybe two or three threads on any given day. I'm sure there are many others who do likewise.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Joseph wrote:
Grant Whipp wrote:I gotta say, though ... 29 out of over 2,000 members isn't the response I thought this poll would get. Less than 2%! Maybe there'll be more during the Holidays when more folks have time to read the 'Board?

Hey Grant,

Doesn't surprise me a bit. There is SO much traffic on this board that I seldom take time to read it and then I only read the subject lines that interest me - maybe two or three threads on any given day. I'm sure there are many others who do likewise.

Joseph

Yes, you have to also consider that out of those 2000, many don't post.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 pm

Andrew, nice diagram.. I printed it off as a basis for my next tear...... just the profile, the inside will be typical basic tear type..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby dhazard » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi Grant, The reason I didn’t vote is that I am not interested in a tear that is that wide. If I was going to pull a trailer that required extended mirrors I would go for something more like the T@B that I can almost stand in. But I don’t want the hassle of that, just want something small. IMHO Dan
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:49 pm

Not interested in that type trailer, so I didn't vote..................however, if I wanted any larger trailer than a teardrop, I'd buy a Casita!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:02 pm

DHAZARD wrote:Hi Grant, The reason I didn’t vote is that I am not interested in a tear that is that wide. If I was going to pull a trailer that required extended mirrors I would go for something more like the T@B that I can almost stand in. But I don’t want the hassle of that, just want something small. IMHO Dan

Chris C wrote:Not interested in that type trailer, so I didn't vote..................however, if I wanted any larger trailer than a teardrop, I'd buy a Casita!

I'm not interested in a trailer that big either. I voted to buy though.

You guys can still vote, Grant was asking which you'd rather do. :thinking: buy or build. You both said that you'd rather buy.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:45 pm

I voted to build as I like the challenge of creating something out of nothing. With that said, I am not in the market for something that big.
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:31 pm

I voted to buy. Here is why;

With that much size as you say it's easy to make changes, and that seems
about right for a Cabin Car variant.

Offer it in a 6' width and see what happens, too -- that would get you away from the complaints about needing towing mirrors, I think.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:48 pm

"The qualifier there is, are YOU really INTERESTED in a teardrop this size? If you are, then pop over and cast a vote ... if you're not, then please don't, because you'll skew the results. "

Let's see ... what was the purpose of this Poll again? Oh yeah, that's right ... to see how many folks on this forum are INTERESTED in a teardrop this size, and IF THEY ARE, would they rather Build It or Buy It ...
"... if you're not, then please don't [vote], because you'll skew the results. "

Help me out here, Gage ... you do cynicism a lot better than me!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls