Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy?

Build?
76%
Buy?
24%

Total votes : 84

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:55 am

Grant...just my 2 cents worth on it, and that's about all it's worth, however....maybe post a question that states something like..."All Lurkers" or "All Teardrop wannabe's...what do you think?" Once you have their attention...then post your question....I think you need to get to the potentially interested people...the bulk of the posters on this forum are either builders or have a tear that they have already bought or restored..However...there are an incredible number of people that have never posted...draw them out as they are the ones with the info you seek.....your original post was asking the "Lurkers"...make it specific to them, draw them out of the woodwork for the answers you want..just my opinion, and a thought....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

I voted to buy and would llove to see this trailer.

Postby Cory_In_Iowa » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 pm

I do think the 6' width would be an advantage over the 7' as well. Either way :thumbsup:
Cory_In_Iowa
Teardrop Builder

Postby grant whipp » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Hi there, Corey!

The 7' width on my design is dictated by the fact that the main bed (Mom & Pos's) runs crosswise over the wheelwells, and most standard size beds (double, queen) that they'd be comfortable in are near 7' by the time you add wall thickness and working space to tuck blankets in, etc. If you were building this trailer for yourself and you didn't NEED the 7' width, then obvioously you could build it any width you wanted, but I aimed this project at the "general consumer" and tried to cover the bases. There are a lot more factors involved, but I won't go into them right now.

If you stop to think about it, 7' isn't really all that wide - a not-so-typical 5' wide teardrop with the fenders outside the body is almost 7' wide - and if you are careful, diligent, and aware, you won't need extended mirrors (unless you're pulling it with a Mini Cooper, in which case you WOULDN'T be pulling it anyway ... ;-} ;-} ...).

Lastly, remember that this trailer is aimed at the FAMILY that wants to experience the Teardrop Camping lifestyle in much the same comfort that the COUPLE who experiences the same, and they probably won't be dragging the family around in anything much smaller than, say, a mini-van or mid-size station wagon.

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Ahh so the wheels would be underneath the bed instead of

Postby Cory_In_Iowa » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:32 pm

outside the cabin? I have been debating buying a Little Guy Doublewide for the 6 foot width and since my wife and I are relatively short (5'6") I figured we'd get a little more room by sleeping crosswise in the cabin. Your trailer sounds pretty intriguing to me though and I haven't seen anyone attempting to build one simlar to it.
Cory_In_Iowa
Teardrop Builder

Re: I voted to buy and would llove to see this trailer.

Postby goldcoop » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Cory_In_Iowa wrote:I do think the 6' width would be an advantage over the 7' as well. Either way :thumbsup:

My C'tear is 6' wide and one can lie in it width wise, but you better be 5' tall!

It's OKAY to lounge with the door open in SOFA mode, but not as a BED!

It's more comfortable to lie the 8' direction!

Grants right on the money with a 7' wide rendition, gives you some arm flailing room! LOL!

Grant I say build it, they WILL buy! JMO...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby davel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:13 am

Grant,

I think that would fit the need for younger families that are interested in tears. I know my son is hooked but hasn't started building yet. He would definetely go for one that would take care of one or two small kids.
davel
Donating Member

Postby weasel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Grant, since I'm new with this style. Owned 3 popups 8',10'and 12' and now a 24' with bunks. I think bigger is better. When I first looked at the ''Weekender'' started thinkin' how to enlarge it some. I'm gonna go 120'' with the 18'' overhang. Built a 5x10 trailer, why I like the room. I'm keepin' track of the weight,cost and hours. I'd buy one like your talkin' about. Why? A weekender is a simple build a tear I wouldn't try. But thats me. :thumbsup:
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 pm

Dave,

Has your son seen how we do our 560 Raindrop? It is basically a 5' x 10' teardrop with bunkbeds in front that sleep crossways for kids. The main bed is still standard teardrop fashion for grown ups (well, as grown up as a teardopper can be).

With ours the bunk beds knock down and convert into a pretty comfy sofa too.

I too have too little ones and that is my solution. Once they get too big to fit in the 5' bunks it is time for them to tent it anyways. If he is building one I would think he could do something along them lines.

Check it out on our website tinycamper.com

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby thobbs » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 pm

I would love a bigger tear to fit kids. I've been playing atound with some layouts. My problem is that my kids are TALL. My nine year old is 5' already. My 12 yr old is 5'3" and I have a 5 yr old who will be just as tall. Three kids might be a bit snug. Any ideas.
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:33 pm

Thobbs,

I'm thinking maybe something like a 2+3 teardrop...

It could look like Andrew's 2+2 with a rainbow front end on it...

You could put 2 kids in the front bunks, and one above your feet.

Or 2 above your feet, and one in a front bunk...

8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 pm

thobbs wrote:I would love a bigger tear to fit kids. I've been playing atound with some layouts. My problem is that my kids are TALL. My nine year old is 5' already. My 12 yr old is 5'3" and I have a 5 yr old who will be just as tall. Three kids might be a bit snug. Any ideas.

...a tent for the kids...they will love the independence from mom and dad and their younger bones can stand it better than the old folks....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nytewyng » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 pm

If I had the time tools and talent I'd build ..........Didnt someone build a 2+2 teardrop here.....seeems like that would fit your needs ( designed to your needs ) perhaps copy Mike's T@b , that would also be adequate.just my 2 cents ;)
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Elumia » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 pm

As a parent (9 & 11 year olds) I would be interested in the concept.

Tent for the kids - They don't like sleeping in a tent in the rain any more than I do.

Small trailer with 4 bodies - Condensation condensation condensation

Tent trailer - too much set up hassle

Small Travel trailer - Tab is close, but to get a queen bed you have to have an inside kitchen. I'm 6'4 and both my kids are pushing 5' tall.
many new travel trailers have too many ammenities. A teardrop offers a level of "set it up fast" simplicity for the weekend outing. Sometimes the old 10-12' TT's had it right - Simple & light, except I'd prefer the kitchen outside. I found this site after I found the TAB. It has a great vintage look, but I think the layouts could be way better.

Tow vehicle - Now with rising gas prices, people will still want to camp, but not have to tow it with a truck, so a lightweight trailer has a definate advantage (2000lb tow capacity on my car)

Just my thoughts, I think I will have to build what fits my needs - and budget!

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Elumia wrote:As a parent (9 & 11 year olds) I would be interested in the concept.

Let me give it some more thought...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:43 pm

For anyone who is interested, I am building a modified version of Andrew's 2+2H that is just under 7"wide, about 13'4" long and will have two separate 30" bunks with private storage areas in each. Headroom over the footwell should be close to 66". Everyone will be able to stand up in it except Dad. It width combined with Andew's 3 piece hatch will give TREMENDOUS counter space and huge storage in the galley. 2 or 3 times a year we camp in a big group with folks from our church. I love to cook and do it big for those gatherings. I am really looking forward to that galley for those times. I cant draw worth a darn, but I will try to explain my modifications if anyone is interested.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls