'Fess up! How many have had an accident with their TD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Have you had an accident with your teardrop?

1. I backed into whatever.
50%
2. I was rear-ended.
8%
3. Lost control of the tow vehicle/trailer in an emergency maneuver.
8%
4. Lost control of the trailer due to weather conditions--high wind or ice.
No votes
5. Damage due to high speed tire blowout on tow or trailer.
No votes
6. Got sucked into a semi's windstream.
No votes
7. Damage from mechanical problems with the hitch system.
17%
8. Forgot to place/remove wheel chocks.
17%

Total votes : 12

'Fess up! How many have had an accident with their TD?

Postby Namsayn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 am

Fess up! Who has had an accident with their trailer?
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Namsayn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:43 pm

OK, I'll start. I didn't realize that you needed to push down on the handle on the frame jack--if that's what it's called. Going across a dip in a service station drive, the plate hit the ground with a "KA-CHUNK." I think the upright handle rotated counterclockwise in the slipstream and slowly lowered the plate until it was nearly dragging the ground. THEN I saw the way to lock the handle down. No real harm done but it was an attention getter.
At least I think that's what happened? I am certain the plate was as far up as I could get it before starting out.
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Aw, that's just a little thing. Mine decided it didn't want to go to Sweetwater a couple of years ago and headed out into the desert, got lost and came back to the hwy so I could get it and take it on down to San Diego. Getting it back on the hitch was another story. :?

Have a good day.
8)
You need to add 'None of the above' to the Poll.
Last edited by Gage on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Namsayn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Great pic, Gage! Kinda makes my stomach turn tho.
Question is, how did it get loose? Did it bounce off the ball or get sideways relative to the tow or what? Enquiring minds...

:o

Yup, I should have put an "Other" catagory but I ran out of space.
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:01 pm

It wasn't on the hitch ball completely and for some reason I didn't check to make sure before I left the house. Don't know if you've been out in the desert but most of the roads have nateral dips in them for rain and flash flood runoff. I came out of one doing about 60mph and the front of the tear came up and departed. Snaped the safty chains and headed for the desert. Just before that happened, my wife and I were talking about how the tear looked like it was sitting a little high and I was going to pull over and take a look when it let loose. No damage except for the tongue jack that ground down to about nothing. The safty chains were the original chains and have also been replaced. Oh, and I had driven about 8 miles before it happened and it wasn't the first dip that I had gone through.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 am

How about adding, mine's not far enough along to have an accident. :cry:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am

bledsoe3 wrote:How about adding, mine's not far enough along to have an accident. :cry:

I'm wid ya...other than assorted accidents while building, our tear has a spotless record............................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 am

madjack wrote:
bledsoe3 wrote:How about adding, mine's not far enough along to have an accident. :cry:

I'm wid ya...other than assorted accidents while building, our tear has a spotless record............................ 8)

Jack, I don't think he's looking for number of times blood loss occured. :O :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

crack me up

Postby skacutter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 pm

You guys crack me up……

I wonder how many TD owners came across this page and thought "no way man...someone I know will read this" and chickened out. I haven’t crashed the Kasperwing sleeper yet but I don’t mind laughing at the stupid things I do. Here are some kickers

Towing back from my first trip 20 min into the mountains and it occurred to me that ya sposta put some kind of pin in that hitch latch. (stop #1)

1000' more down the road- Hey is that the clothes I took out when looking for the hitch pin blowing across the road behind me????? Why yes it is! (Stop 2)

15 minutes later after coming down a 2 mile BIG hill with twists- Gee I don’t think I taped the cabinets closed or latched the refrigerator door (Third very long messy stop) :oops:

If you can’t laugh at what you do wrong then what you do wrong is a problem. Somehow I think if you can just laugh at a situation that’s all it takes to resolve the issue.

My request for the poll list is
"Stupid things you did when you where drunk but had to be explained to you the next day"

Peace
Chris
please visit the Kasperwing site and click on the teardrop trailer link
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Rear Ended

Postby Michael W » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:16 am

I was bumped from behind while loading onto a auto ferry. I was already on the ferry and parked with the incident occured. The ferry attendent was directing the next vehicle in line behind me and waived her right into the back of my trailer. Luckily it was a very low speed impact adn no damage was done to the hatch, but I was really upset/concerned for a few moments as the trailer took a pretty hard and direct bump. I'm planning to build a removable bumper that will slide into the receiver hitch, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 pm

No accidents so far (knock on my faux wood Formica desk top).

I can't decide if this thread is a good or a bad thing before we all leave for Noth Meets South. On one hand, we can all learn from other's mistakes. On the other hand, I don't want to jinx myslef.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:24 pm

Don't worry Tom, just lay off the martini's a couple of days before the trip and you won't make any mistakes! :tipsy: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have a good and safe trip!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby RKH » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:51 am

No accidents with the Little Guy but I did have one with a similar-sized UHaul. We were about 75 miles out from home when apparently the receiver pin came out. The drawbar stayed attached to the trailer and the chains kept it pretty much under control although dragging on teh ground until we got onto the shoulder. I walked back along the highway for about a mile but never found the hitch pin. Only thing I can figure is the clip came out somehow.
I discovered (and you may want to file this into the Book of Knowledge files) that a standard lugwrench/jack handle is ~the same diameter as a hitch pin. I put the jack handle in and bungeed/duct taped it and drove on to the next town where I bought a new hitch pin.
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm

No accidents yet (knock wood), but I did lose a grease seal off one wheel in a not-so-nice section of Utica, NY.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 pm

After having the drawers fitted on it's very first day on the road, I tried to fit vehicle and trailer into a space big enough for the vehicle only while changing lanes. Needless to say the cab driver was not impressed with having a TD trying to come in through his passenger door. Luckily only minimal damage to the cab and only a bit of paint taken off of the fender on the TD.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

I used the high speed manouvre accident clicky to list in this.
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Next

Return to User Polls