Winter Warrior Jr. mod

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Winter Warrior Jr. mod

Postby SteveW » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Okay, so I really dig the Winter Warriors, but need a design that's small and light enough to be removable. At other times during the year the bare trailer will house our Yakima racks and be used to haul our kayaks, bikes, etc. Still working on the most efficient way to affix/remove the cabin since it will still be a few hundred pounds, but first I wanted to at least get an idea of what the design would be like so I had somewhere to start. The attached plan is the beginnings of my vision for my modified WW Jr.

The cabin interior is JUST large enough for a queen mattress and that's about it. The floor, walls, and ceiling will be 2" Foamular 600 sandwiched between 1/8" ply. I toyed with the idea of a foam/canvas TD, but will have to see one in person before I decide to go that route or not. Ply blocks will be positioned within the panels to act as mounting points. There will be a vertical and horizontal "shelf" to help act as a cross-brace. I'm going to try 1/8" ply for the side skirts adjoined to the hatch, but might need to go with something more substantial (hopefully no more than 1/4). When in transport, the hatch will be all the way down, latched, and pegs of some sort will help stabilize the side skirts. For three seasons, we'll raise the hatch up 30 degrees and peg it in place. To save a bit of weight, the opening will have tent screen and zippered tent fabric that will be rolled up during transit, but then unrolled and affixed to the walls. We'll also have rolled up Enerflex radiant barrier that can be lowered for times when the weather becomes a bit more extreme. A tent door (tent pole framed) will be able to attach to the top of the solid door to allow for easier egress. During colder weather, we'll probably bump the hatch up only 3 degrees so the solid door can opened, peg it in place, and use the tent mesh and radiant barrier to keep temperature exchange to a minimum. One thing to note, in the final plans the solid rear door and wall will be taller. Not sure how I messed up the calculations on this one, but it was intended to be about 3 or 4 inches taller. I didn't notice until I was too far into the design to bother with it, since this is just a mock-up.

Would love any feedback from those who have traveled this path before. Any glaring faults in my design (other than the obvious lack of trailer and missing one side of the hatch) ?
Attachments
ww mod.skp
(95.17 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Re: Winter Warrior Jr. mod

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:57 am

Steve
You have a good start. I have a few questions though. Your less than 8' long and I was wondering why. What is the dim. of the trailer that you are using? You're also only 4' high when down but only 5' high when up. The main Idea behind the WW is to be able to stand up and cook inside in bad weather and with these dim. you won't be able to do that. Moving the hinge point more to the front should get you the extra height in the back with the hatch up but than you will have problems with the side curtains dragging the ground. This is why most of the WW built are 5' high when down. The Wild goose used canvass sides which solves that problem.If you use the top back wall to support the weight of the top when up it doesn't matter what you use on you side curtains, 1/8" ply would be fine. I've built 2 of these and what I've found is that there is a relationship between the length of the hatch and amount of rise you get. My first had a 5' long hatch and got 26" of rise when up the second has a 6' hatch and gets 31" of rise.
It looks like you hatch is just under 5' and you gotten close to 24" of rise so that would be about right.

If you go a little over 6' wide instead of 5' you could run your bed side wise and give you more room in the back. As far as getting it off the trailer a scissor jack on each corner would do the trick and would be easy to set up if the cabin was a little wider than the trailer.

With what your design is showing me I'm confused as to why you are wanting to use the WW design since you aren't going with enough length and hatch height to use the design the way it is design for. It seems that your going to a lot of extra work when a rear entrance tear would be easier and do the same thing. I'm not trying to be a critical I'm just wondering.

Hope this has been helpful and I'll look forward to watching how your project goes.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:24 pm

http://www.johnweeks.com/tour/campers/index.html Here is a site with a couple designs that were made that you could get inspiration from. Mostly the Aliner Lil Demon.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveW » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Hey Gary, you definitely raised some good question. A couple of them I had considered since I posted the plans...specifically the length of the hatch and the lack of rise. I started wondering why I didn't bring the hatch way toward the front in the first place. I hadn't considered using canvas for the sides. That's a bonus for weight and utility!

In regards to the trailer, it hasn't been completely designed yet. The main purpose it will serve is to house my Yakima racks and tote our sports gear around. The removable ttt is just to satisfy my own desire to get out of tent camping.

Of course since I posted this plan I've already started playing around with some other ideas that would allow me to have a lightweight foam/canvas teardrop and our kayaks mounted at the same time. I'd love to be able to take both, but had pretty much given up on that idea. Our kayaks are 60 lbs a piece, and with the mounts, we're already over 150 pounds into our 1000 pound tow capacity. So both the trailer and the teardrop will need to be exceptionally light for the MINI to pull everything. If I really want both, I think the foam/canvas may be the only way to pull it off. More investigating and playing around with plans.

IF I go with the WW Jr. idea, I definitely think I'll consider your idea about going wider and turning the bed sideways. I'd need to build over the wheels, but not that big of a deal. That would actually allow us to have a sitting area in the back that could turn into smaller beds for the kids. Maybe even a mini galley, though my wife swears we'd never use it. Honestly I think it would be great to have access to a basic galley from the inside for those really cold mornings.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveW » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Sonoma ZR2 wrote:http://www.johnweeks.com/tour/campers/index.html Here is a site with a couple designs that were made that you could get inspiration from. Mostly the Aliner Lil Demon.

Thanks for the link. Some great ideas to browse. That Lil Demon has a lot of the utility that I was looking for in my plan.

I wish there was a website where you could prioritize all the things you want in a trailer and it would tell you the design you should...or must...build. I'm finding there are just too many options out there! :lol:
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Steve
That lil demon would diffidently have some possibility. And the weight is in your range just add some light weight Alum racks and your kayaks and your in business. We bought our first, a 4x8 little guy, and used it for a year but wanted more comfort so when Mike did the WW design I jumped in and built it.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby SteveW » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Alright, looks like this idea has been permanently put on the back burner, as I think I came up with a foamish design that's to my liking. One that will likely be used for my build. Spring Break is rapidly approaching, so I need to make some final decisions very soon. Otherwise having this thing ready by summer will be a pipe dream.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:58 am

SteveW wrote: I think I came up with a foamish design that's to my liking.

Where's the link to your foamish design? :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Hah, lemme clean it up first. It's styled (very loosely) on the Grumman 2 design posted by danlott, using pretty much the same ellipses, but shorted about 2 feet. It's quite minimalistic and designed to use 2" foam for just about all the construction, with a few ply blocks here and there for anchor points. We wanted it as light as possible so that the "removable" idea was more than just an idea. Anyway, here's what it looks like so far, although it will likely change a bit before the final design. Once I get it a bit more finalized, I'll post up the actual plans.

Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 am

Hrm,

If you're hauling bikes, why not make the interior of the trailer removable instead of making the camping trailer removable from the frame? Sort of a teardrop toy hauler.

Pull the mattress, fold back any cabinetry or rail mount it so it can come out and bingo! Covered trailer for the bikes.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby SteveW » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Covered bike camper! Hey, not a bad idea! :thumbsup:

Our main desire for having the camper removable is to haul the kayaks with the MINI. Would be a bit weird having about half of them hanging out the back end of the camper. :lol:
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Could take care of that with a rack on top of the teardrop!

I guess that depends on how many you are hauling, though.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby SteveW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm

2 14-footers at 65 pounds a piece. Probably more than I want to put onto of the camper, especially not knowing how the wind will affect it.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 am

To anybody reading this, ALWAYS put the kayaks on the TV roof! Unless you are always going to camp on waterfront sites, avoid the anguish of a great spot to paddle and no boats with you.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs