Feedback on Slide-in Camper Plans

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Feedback on Slide-in Camper Plans

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 am

Hello,

I recently acquired a 5.5' x 10' trailer. I have been in love with the idea of building a camper since I first found out about teardrops. The problem is because I use a CPAP to sleep, I wanted to build something squarish to mount my solar panel on to in order to provide power for the CPAP. So I apologize in advance this isn't a teardrop. The design is a simple framed box around a queen-sized bed that I could put .25" insulation on the outside of, then fiberglass.

I know you folks have way more building experience then I do, so I wanted to share my plans to see if I was over-engineering it.

Please see attached. Thank You in advance!
Attachments
Slide in Camper Framed on Completed Base.skp
(296.83 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
Slide in Camper Mid-Section Framed on Completed Base.skp
(276.07 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Slide in Camper Base.skp
(111.61 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Re: Feedback on Slide-in Camper Plans

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am

cryptojones wrote:Hello,

I recently acquired a 5.5' x 10' trailer. I have been in love with the idea of building a camper since I first found out about teardrops. The problem is because I use a CPAP to sleep, I wanted to build something squarish to mount my solar panel on to in order to provide power for the CPAP. So I apologize in advance this isn't a teardrop. The design is a simple framed box around a queen-sized bed that I could put .25" insulation on the outside of, then fiberglass.

I know you folks have way more building experience then I do, so I wanted to share my plans to see if I was over-engineering it.

Please see attached. Thank You in advance!

My older version of Sketchup wouldn't open your files.

I too use a CPAP. My Philips doesn't use much power. All CPAPS are DC devices that come with an AC converter in the cord --that black box. The way to reduce your CPAP power consumption is to get your brand's 12V power plug. Otherwise, if you are planning on using the CPAP's stock cord, plugged into a 120V outlet ––that's powered by 12 volts and run through an inverter and then the machine's converter–– you'll be sucking juice.

There are numerous traditional teardrops with a flat solar panel on the roof so don't let your little CPAP dictate your build. (The Generic Benroy in the Design Resources section begs for a solar panel with its flat roof.)

For build #4 I'll be using a semi-flexible 100 or 120 watter on my roof. Our current 'drop has a 20 watt panel on the tongue box and our Group 27 battery** did great on the 3-nighter this last weekend. For longer camps, I'll pull out our folding 60-watter that is stored in the tongue box. The folders allow you to park in the shade and put your panels in the sun. But since we seldom camp for longer than two or three days in the same campsite ––and our tow vehicle charges the battery while enroute–– we almost never have to put them out.

:thumbsup:

Tony

** On the next build I'll downsize to a Group 24 AGM. Plenty of juice.
Last edited by tony.latham on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am

You will get more feedback if you post a couple of screenshots of your design. I'd like to see what you've got but can't be bothered to try to get it into sketchup.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Ottsville wrote:You will get more feedback if you post a couple of screenshots of your design. I'd like to see what you've got but can't be bothered to try to get it into sketchup.

Aye, good call. Sorry about that. I didn't even think to post screenshots.
Attachments
Slide in Camper Mid-Section Framed on Completed Base (1).jpg
Slide in Camper Mid-Section Framed on Completed Base (1).jpg (378.49 KiB) Viewed 7265 times
Slide in Camper Framed on Completed Base (2).jpg
Slide in Camper Framed on Completed Base (2).jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 7265 times
Slide in Camper Framed on Completed Base (1).jpg
Slide in Camper Framed on Completed Base (1).jpg (316.08 KiB) Viewed 7265 times
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ottsville » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 pm

I like the direction you are going. Are you planning on sleeping side to side or putting boards in to sleep front to back? '
The drawing looks like you will be framing it in 2x material, is that your plan?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Ottsville wrote:Are you planning on sleeping side to side or putting boards in to sleep front to back?

I guess you can't tell without measuring but the flat space in the back perfectly fits a queen matress at 5'9"x6'x8".

Ottsville wrote:The drawing looks like you will be framing it in 2x material, is that your plan?

Yeah. I went with 2x4 because I that is what I am familiar with. I could split them and do 2x2s.
Attachments
Measurements.PNG
Measurements.PNG (607.37 KiB) Viewed 7229 times
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:58 pm

I could split them and do 2x2s.

Using 2x4's is gross overkill. It'll weight a ton.

A better way would be a classic sandwiched wall using skeletonized 3/4" plywood.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:It'll weight a ton. Tony

Each 2x4x8 weighs 13 lbs. It would require 154 to reach 2,000 lbs. This design does not use anywhere near 154.
Last edited by cryptojones on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:(The Generic Benroy in the Design Resources section begs for a solar panel with its flat roof.)

I do like the aerodynamic aspects of the Benroy's design. It would be much easier to haul than a square box.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby cryptojones » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 pm

My biggest fear with the benroy would be I've never done anything like those curves before. I guess there is no way to learn without trying though, right?
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 pm

cryptojones wrote:
tony.latham wrote:It'll weight a ton. Tony

Each 2x4x8 weighs 13 lbs. It would require 154 to reach 2,000 lbs. This design does not use anywhere near 154.

You're right. With the trailer chassis, it would come in somewhere below that. I'll guess about 1600 pounds. My sandwiched walled teardrop weighs 1300 empty.

Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Builder's Shop Manual is a great investment. It shows you how to build 'em.

http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cryptojones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 am

Wow, this looks awesome. I'll grab a copy next paycheck. Thank you!
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 am

The weight adds up quickly. The only place I have any stud lumber in my build is the blocking for the side door latches, and the blocking for where the floor bolts to the trailer frame, maybe 2 or 3 ft total.

I suggest you start at the very beginning with a mind set of making everything just 10/ct heavier than "this is too weak", instead of 200/ct heavier than BMFH (Big Mother Freakin' Hammer).

Sure it's more effort to find, buy and/or rip down suitably sized sticks, but of all of the stud lumber builds we have seen, not a one has said, "I wish I had built heavier". On the contrary, we have seen broken tongues, broken springs, and maybe even a bent axle (IIRC).

Have a look at Sharon's finished build weight comparison chart (and a companion thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=60392). Take a look at the campers of similar size to what you have planned and look at their build journals to see the type of construction they used. The campers outlying the graph on the heavy end of the plot (for a given floor size) will be those that overbuilt using stud lumber (and possibly lots of extra features, such as onboard water, a/c, generators, solar panels, extra batteries, etc.); whereas the ones in the "sweet spot" of the plot used more commonly used materials and methods, with some restraint of features, to keep things at a more manageable weight.

Remember, even if your TV has all the pulling power you could ever need, your hauling experience will be better when the actual finished weight is less, and especially when that finished weight matches the axle, spring and tires you have selected. There are plenty of examples of people that ending up heavy and wishing they had not started with stud lumber.

As they say, "think airplane, not tank".
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs