My build

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

My build

Postby Spazz86 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:38 am

I still have some tweaking to do, but I'm pretty happy thus far.

HF trailer, 4*8 widened to 5*8.
Going to change out the axle and leaf springs along with the Hubs, rims and tires. I got the trailer for $50 so it's more cost effective to change everything out.
Going to weld everything up together for make it nice and sturdy, and reinforce all of the corners as well as the inner joints.
Going to reinforce the tongue area as well.
Floors, walls and ceiling will all be insulated.

Decided to move the axle back about a foot, and lmore than likely going with a 15-in tire. Would like to get a trailer that could later down the road have the option to add brakes, but haven't decided yet. Stabilization jacks in the rears and will probably put two in the front as well.

Trailer itself is going to be coated in a rhino spray covering like they use in the back of truck beds. Gives it a nice rugged feel, waterproofs it and will stand up against elements as well as terrain.

Will probably leave the space to incorporate for an independent axle system but for right now I'm just going to go standard as it's cheaper and easier to install.

Has a shoreline input for a inverted generator, will also have a 12 volt system using a deep cycle battery. Generator will charge the battery when it's being used, then for the nights battery will be used for small things.... will probably add wiring for a solar system but not going to install one at this time. No

Solar shower on the roof.

Also going to incorporate a seven-pin for the brake lights and to charge the battery while driving.
I've not figured out what I want to do for AC yet, still got a place the lights and the roof vent along with a few other things.
I opted not to go for a small kitchenette in the back as it just adds more weight, and takes away from a cabin. Decided to go with a dual chuck box design for the kitchen area. I made build up the storage a little bit around the foot area, to allow for an accessible external storage to be added behind the cabinet.

Interior is large enough for a queen mattress and storage. Flip down small television. We'll also have a portable Wi-Fi unit inside.

I am trying to maximize space while minimizing weight.
On all I'm pretty happy so far however still not done. A few more tweaks here and there fore I have a final idea of what I want to do to begin my building.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Spazz86
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My build

Postby NevadaBlue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:50 pm

Watching! :D
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Great job working out the details.

You might consider moving the door back a bit. Here's what somebody once wrote in a book about the subject:

Door placement is critical. Put this book down for a moment and go lay on your bed. Now sit up and swing your legs off as if you’re getting up -–but sit there for a moment. Note that this is the same place that you sat on the edge of the bed before you laid down. Your pelvis will be about 30 - 33” from the headboard. This is where the doors need to be–- right next to where your hips rest when laying down and where you normally sit on your bed.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:56 am

Looks great so far! Tony is right, though. Those doors will need to move back. You don't want to crawl into the thing over your pillow on your hands and knees only to do a u-turn so you can close the door and lie down.

I'm curious about those red rods at the back of the frame. Turbo exhaust thrusters...? :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Spazz86 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:53 am

rjgimp wrote:Looks great so far! Tony is right, though. Those doors will need to move back. You don't want to crawl into the thing over your pillow on your hands and knees only to do a u-turn so you can close the door and lie down.

I'm curious about those red rods at the back of the frame. Turbo exhaust thrusters...?
No they are trailer jacks to stabilize it

Spazz86
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spazz86 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:54 am

tony.latham wrote:Great job working out the details.

You might consider moving the door back a bit. Here's what somebody once wrote in a book about the subject:

Door placement is critical. Put this book down for a moment and go lay on your bed. Now sit up and swing your legs off as if you’re getting up -–but sit there for a moment. Note that this is the same place that you sat on the edge of the bed before you laid down. Your pelvis will be about 30 - 33” from the headboard. This is where the doors need to be–- right next to where your hips rest when laying down and where you normally sit on your bed.

:thinking:

Tony
The doors are approx 26 inches from the front, though it may not look like it.

Spazz86
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:23 am

You might put a couple of strips of tape on your bed and see how that door location "feels". :thinking: No sense having to scrunch around. :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Spazz86 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:58 pm

tony.latham wrote:

You might put a couple of strips of tape on your bed and see how that door location "feels". :thinking: No sense having to scrunch around. :?

Tony
I have actually already done this using a tailor measuring tape. I may go a bit further but for sketchup purposes its ok for the time being.
I appreciate the input. Always good to make sure I haven't missed anything :)

Spazz86
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Sketch up designs