Hinge (and hatch) placement makes me wondering

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Hinge (and hatch) placement makes me wondering

Postby jongaud » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm

On the picture below you can see (in green) where I was about to place the hurricane hinge. What I fear is that both parts almost horizontal. Could it leak with such placement?

I'm sure some of you will have some insights for me.

Thanks! :)

P.S. I want to place it so high in order to maximize hatch opening (the trailer will be used for camping during the summer but to transport HUGE mountain fat bike during the winter).

jongaud
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hinge (and hatch) placement makes me wondering

Postby printer » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Why not a little further down and lower the bottom of the hatch. Easier to get the bike out.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:54 pm

I had leakage with my hurricane hinge. I just rolled 6" wide rubber sheet over it and that stopped the leak. I used a metal carpet transition strip to seal the edges of the rubber sheet. You can buy these strips at a home center store.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:08 pm

Looking at a few of the designs of hinge out there Im not sure what there is to leak about the hinge specifically. If anything a more horizontal placement has less of a flow of water crashing into it trying to force its way in. I might be more concerned about its long term mechanical resilience to that sort of mounting due to forces being in a slightly different direction. But that probably depends on which design hinge you use.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 am

With mine, the hinge leaked due to capillary action. The first time I opened the hatch, water from dew dripped inside. Knowing that the hinge doesn't work well on a flat roof I would use an inexpensive conventional hinge if I built the same again.

But in the hurricane's defense, it is nice having two methods of water rejection stacked on top.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:22 am

Tomterrific wrote:With mine, the hinge leaked due to capillary action....

* I don't use a continuous hinge, using gate hinges instead, and there's a 2" gap left between the roof and hatch door when opened. I covered the gap with old conveyor belt material, very durable, but it surprised me at first camp when it rained; there was a constant drip along the covered gap, because the conveyor belt material has thousands of tiny pinpricks in it, probably to let air pass-thru to make it slide on the conveyor surface easier. I never thought about it before.

* I grabbed a can of Herculiner bedliner spray when I returned home, and lightly coated the upper surface of the material. It leaks no more.
Attachments
hatch hinges, gap cover, & seals.PNG
hatch hinges, gap cover, & seals.PNG (545.04 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Sketch up designs