lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Postby grantstew8 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am

Depending on how protected the storage area is, you could use a coleman event shelter. From reviews, they don't like too much wind...
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm

I put a roof on my tear for the winter
two sheets of metal roofing, some conduit, and a bunch of scrap wood
I'm not worried about rain from the sides, I could make the roof wider as the steel is overlapped more than it needs to be in the middle.
the whole thing cost less than $100
so far so good
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm real fortunate to have a shop with what was once plenty of room when built 15 years ago, but now I'm going up to compensate for lack of room on the first floor.Image
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby inthewoods » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:40 pm

We are trying this cover for our trailer's first winter outdoors. We bought a Classic Accessories "R-Pod" cover. It's apparently waterproof but breathable. All the RV dealers around me say they work and wear well. To get a nice fit since the Rpod is a much larger trailer than my 5x10, my wife and I took the cover apart and cut the cover down for a near perfect fit on our trailer. We are happy with the DIY mod to the cover and it worked out cheaper than having a custom cover made.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389566396.369464.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389566396.369464.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 13655 times
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 am

I talked to a local gal here that does a great job on sewing up boat covers. $400! or was it $500? Anyway, it was too much. I bought one of those RPOD covers from Amazon for a $100. I think it was a return.

I piled it onto my 5x10, marked it, cut some off the bottom, took some in at the corners and it's like a gal with a well fit prom dress now. It came out great.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ystava » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm

I used this in my popup that was stored outside. Mounted it to a wide flat board and put it in the middle of the camper. They're usually used in gun safes, but with a low-volume camper like a teardrop, should still work to keep the mildew away. Needs a power supply though.

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/
Ystava
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tdprice54 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:23 pm

mikeschn wrote:

That would be perfect. Problem is, the village won't let me put one of those up in the back yard. :cry:

Mike...

About 25 years ago I was building a carport for my 65 year old dad. It looked alot like the one you are showing Mike. We lived in a small town in west Texas. Some really nice areas of town, some not so plush. Anyway my Dad had a nice house and wanted a carport. We had a new city manger that had just hired in from suburbs of chicago. I was on the board that hired him but he did not know me from Adam. He pulled up as me and Dad were putting the finishing touches on the shed. He ask for permit,which we didn't have but my Dad explained he moved there the day he got back from WWII and didn't need a permit because he owned the property lock , stock, and barrell. The fellow said that carports were not allowed in that paricular sub-division. There were a couple of words exchanged and the new city manger/city inspector said he would have to take the shed down. A few more unpleasant words were exchanged and Dad told him his problem besides being a yankee from Chicago he didn't recognize a " covered swing set " when he saw one. Dad ask if there was a city ordinance against that. The CM looked confused and left. I had to hang a swing in the end and was never bothered again. This is a true story. You had to be there to see how funny it really was. When Dad sold the place 20 years later the new owner ask what the swing was for? You might see if your village has a sense of humor!! :thumbsup:
tdprice54
Teardrop Builder

Postby mezmo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:07 am

Great little story tdprice54 !

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I built a hybrid foamie this year, and just tucked it away for its first winter. I used tarps, because I had them already and I'm not quite sure how much protection my little trailer will need. We get lots of snow in Alberta, but mostly the weather is dry and windy, with mold not being much of a problem. The roof of my trailer is angled, as well, so that rain will tend to run off it. I will check on it during the winter and see how it holds up.
Attachments
tucked away for winter.JPG
tucked away for winter.JPG (66.77 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:46 am

For Sheryl and others using tarps on their TDs over the winter - don't you hate when the tarp gets beat up from the wind and the grommets blow out after a few good wind storms ?
We are full-bore into our winterizing and storing regime for customers' boats and it occurred to me that everyone might not know these little 'tricks' that will let the same tarp survive all winter, despite some wicked windstorms we get here on the wet coast:
1) Instead of tying the bottom down tight, use the lines to hang to hang bleach bottles a foot or so off the ground. Then add enough water to the bottle to give it a bit of weight (adjust to suit). This will give the tarp a bit of give when the wind blows and it won't get blown out and ragged.
2) instead of using rope or string to tie it down, tie a loop of shock cord (or a bungee) through the grommet, and tie your line to that instead. That too will allow some give when the tarp tries to inflate or lift from the wind, and it will suck back down again. Adjust the size of the loop and the thickness of the cord to suit (1/4" thick cord should be lots for these)

Let's hope everyone's TD makes it through the winter dry and happy till camping season rolls around again 8)
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks for the tips, Wobbly Wheels! :thumbsup:
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby McGuffin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi ,

I know I'm coming to this very late but... I have recently invested in a 20' shipping container so I can store my tear drop in. It was already sprayed with insulation so it's dry and snug. I,m going to fix it up with storage across the top like this:

The weather is pretty bad here in Ireland so it is not really overkill :)

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shar » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 pm

This is an update: my little trailer is looking fine after its first winter under a tarp. The dry climate here in Alberta is a help- mold is not much of a problem. Best wishes to everyone for camping season! :thumbsup:
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby albion2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:11 am

At the moment mine is sitting under 8 inches of snow in 15 deg cold. Its all plywood, Only protection is several coats of waterproofing and several coat of paint. Its the first and only time it has been left outside since I built it last summer.Its been outside in rain all winter so far and no leaks.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laurette » Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 am

Has anyone tried this?
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-80-200-161001-00-Overdrive-Teardrop/dp/B00GZLR754

If so, could you please let me know what you think about it?

Planning to leave my teardrop for 8 months outdoors in Montana ....

Thanks

Laure
Laurette
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Protection