lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Mike Yes PahaQue makes custom covers and most anything else you can think of related. http://www.pahaquecustom.com

We have a PahaQue cover for our 2011 Silver Shadow, and have used it for the last 2 winters. Most of the time in the summer it's not covered. The PahaQue covers are very well thought out and are a durable fabric. Ours has zippers by the door to allow for access without removing the cover. It has faded over time, but still seems to be in good shape otherwise. We had to have them do a little custom work on it - they were very good with that as well - we would recommend them to anyone who needs a cover.

In the winter we also put one of those buckets of dessicant - Stay Dri or some such.

Our Silver Shadow has the hurricane hinge on the galley covered with a reinforced waterproof fabric of some sort, and the hardware for the hinge goes slightly wide, so that any runoff won't go into the galley.

We haven't had any leaking issues with the tear as yet. We did have a lovely time with our 2004 Fleetwood (Coleman) popup leaking however, so we'll be sure to double check every possible place for water instrusion on an annual basis.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:59 pm

How about just using an easy up or two in the backyard over the teardrop? Folks do it at the campground all the time. And surely those easy ups can handle a little bit of rain and snow and wind...?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Rvankeur » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 pm

mikeschn wrote:How about just using an easy up or two in the backyard over the teardrop? Folks do it at the campground all the time. And surely those easy ups can handle a little bit of rain and snow and wind...?

Mike...

We've got 2 EZ Ups, one is 8 years old, the other one we got last year. Both are brand name EZ Up. They are sturdy, and we take very good care of our equipment, but you can see the age on the old one. The corners sag now, catching rain. They would not hold up to a large amount of rain or snow collected on them. As for wind - we ALWAYS tie ours down - either with straps down to the picnic table, or to the tear.

We had one of those "garage" things blow away once, and we thought that we'd had that one tied down well. We had to go fetch it from the neighbor's yard.

I wouldn't count on EZ Ups for long term storage.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 am

mikeschn wrote:I wonder if a garage type roof could be designed, that could bolt onto the top of the teardrop for the 50 weeks a year that you are not camping. In theory a bolt on roof would not be subject to the constraints of the village, that allow a maximum shed of 10 x 12 feet. Hey, that might work!!! :thinking:

Mike...

I have considered putting an aluminum skin over mine but leaving an air gap between the Al and the current roof. Land Rover did this with some early models. besidws the extra rain protection, it also keeps the roof inconstant shade, keeping the tear cooler. this could also allow better drying when water did get inside.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:38 am

"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:04 pm

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but what about cranking the nose of the trailer up high when stored? This would reduce the likely hood that water could settle on the roof. If it can sit, it will find a way in.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Rvankeur » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm

slowcowboy wrote:my teardrop getts dried every day by the constant wind in wyoming. trapped moister or water with our daily windy dry no
as for a ez-up all winter up. good luck in wyoming.

trees don't even stand up here all winter.

slowcowboy

:lol: :lol:
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Larry C wrote:How about one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/ff/ff324b44-36f2-4b22-af20-8fd6ffaa152b_400.jpg

That would be perfect. Problem is, the village won't let me put one of those up in the back yard. :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larry C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm

mikeschn wrote:

That would be perfect. Problem is, the village won't let me put one of those up in the back yard. :cry:

Mike...

Would they allow a Pergola? Add some roof panels to keep water out, and I won't tell anybody about your new carport :twisted:

"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm

The second roof idea would be a good idea when camping as well. An easily attached second roof skin, reflective of course, and waterproof, could be made from a "silver tarp" and put up as needed. I've seen examples of old-school trailers that used a double-layered roof (with air gap) for insulation. The Texas sun is brutal, and I see this as a way to carry "portable shade" with me. I finally cleared a bay in my garage to store (and complete) my TTT, so idle time storage is not a problem now. But, I like the detachable cover concept for this other use.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Larry C wrote:
mikeschn wrote:

Mike...

Would they allow a Pergola? Add some roof panels to keep water out, and I won't tell anybody about your new carport :twisted:

The pergola is an interesting concept. I wonder if I could get away with that!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby LarryB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:21 pm

I keep mine in the garage, under the car cover.... and the car sits outside ! :D
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalms 118:8
LarryB
Teardrop Builder

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:24 am

In the winter I have a barn to store mine in. Really nice, until I forgot which way the barn door slid, and took the door off the slider. So there I was out in the middle of "above the washboard section of that road?" and no where, holding up a 15 foot piece of aluminum door, wondering how I was going let go without hitting the car with the teardrop attached, or me (really I was more worried about me, but hoping not to have to explain a flatter car to my husband).... I got lucky and found a rope to tie the thing up, but when I went back the next day with the barn door guy to get it back on the slider, he said "geeze lady, you are lucky to be alive", I said, "well I suppose its the luck God gives drunks and fools, and I wasn't drinking".

Anyway now it is time for the rig to come home for the summer, and I called pha que, and they said "you need something that breathes" well that's nice, I figured that part out from reading posts here, but I couldn't quite get a definitive answer to "if I buy one of these, will my woodie be "safe" outside for the summer?" I am totally willing to pay for a custom cover, if I know that the woodie sides of my rig will not delaminate under one of these covers. I KNOW tarps are bad, but what about other RV covers on a woodie?
:wine:
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby Txbum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Mike, ...a big foamie box, with one end hinged like a galley. You can slide the teardrop/trailer in/out as needed. Probably light enough for two people to carry the foam teardrop/trailer cover off/on as needed. Thick foam cover might also protect against hail . Think also of making a folding version, just thinking and thinking. :thinking: Txbum
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 pm

The big foamie box is a good idea! :thumbsup:
Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Protection