Woody

Finishes, paints and coatings

Woody

Postby Starseeker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm sure that this has been covered a hundred times but my dense gray matter has not been able to locate it. Could someone please explain the process of installing, prepping and protecting the exterior wood on a TD?
Aaron
KF5VBV
Starseeker
Teardrop Builder

Re: Woody

Postby ctstaas » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Aaron, My walls are3/4 marine grade ply wood with a couple of coats of spar varnish. Latex paint does not stick to varnish well,so I have some paint re-work to do. Live and learn.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby NCBooger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Hey Star, Rookie here too. From what I've read there are several methods:
Aluminum skin, Penetrating epoxy followed by paint, fiberglass, varnishes, canvas... several different methods depending on the final "look" of the TD and the skill level / budget of the builder.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
NCBooger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm

If you don't want aluminum (I didn't due to all of the hail in Colorado) then for the longest lasting (not cheapest) finish I think you need to use epoxy (soaks into wood), fiberglass cloth (prevents plywood checking) , more epoxy to fill cloth weave, and then coat with varnish for woody look or paint (both provides UV protection).

Page 4 of my build journal last post explains the process I used for covering my teardrop in epoxy and cloth. I painted mine to match my Jeep but could have just as easily clear coated with auto paint or varnished for a woody look.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Woody - use marine epoxy

Postby ChasCABQ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm planning on building a woody and will fiberglass and epoxy all exterior joints then epoxy all walls and roof. Boat builders recommend and I'll use epoxy (marine grade), then varnish from local boat store. I have experience with epoxy (built some surfboards when I was a teenager) and local teardrop builder Capt. Bob says it's the only way to really protect a woody. Also, my woody will be covered when not in use.

When first using epoxy pay attention to the temperature since amount of catalyst is temp. dependent. Mix a small amount to get a feel for how fast it sets and paint some waste material with it. Do small areas at a time. Sanding smooths everything out just fine.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:55 pm

On using epoxy on a woody, make sure that you ease or round over any hard 90's. Epoxy will fail on those sharp corners over time, and don't use an oil based stain. FWIW. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby working on it » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:52 pm

kayakdlk wrote:If you don't want aluminum (I didn't due to all of the hail in Colorado) then for the longest lasting (not cheapest) finish I think you need to use epoxy (soaks into wood), fiberglass cloth (prevents plywood checking) , more epoxy to fill cloth weave, and then coat with varnish for woody look or paint (both provides UV protection).
I also didn't want aluminum (due to all the hail in Texas), and though I really liked the look of polyurethane coated wood (even plywood looks great, shiny and new), I had done research and concluded that the woody look wouldn't hold up here without constant attention. I coated mine with outdoor proven silo paint and tractor paint. My fall-back position was to top that with Dura-bak, or like kayakdlk did, Monsta-liner? or other super-duty bedliner-type coating, if the paint failed. But, I opened up a garage bay for my trailer to reside in, out of the weather and sun, so the point is moot. Good luck with your woody.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets