Aluminum over bubbled wood roof.

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum over bubbled wood roof.

Postby Spotman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 am

I have been getting many bubbles in my wooden roof on my 8 year old Teardrop. I did a search on here and couldn't find an answer! I have several sheets of .040 aluminum already and was wondering if it should be "floated" (what exactly is that procedure?), or should it be permanently installed, and how? Would like this to last a few more years. Also, how would you seal the edges and the butting of the sheets? I have ordered more butyl tape and lap sealant (self leveling) for the Fantastic Fan removal and re install.

TIA Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Re: Aluminum over bubbled wood roof.

Postby swoody126 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 am

bubbes in plywood will knot go away

they will keep working/rotting/growing and eventually fail under anything you cover them with

at that point the resulting needed repairs will be way more difficult and expensive than doing them now

i know that'z knot what you asked about or want to read

it just kneaded to be brought to your attention

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:32 am

If the delamination is only due to a dis-bond between the wood and the outer-whatever-the-skin-is, then you may be able to inject some epoxy into the void to reattach the outer skin to the wood. If it's the plywood that had dis-bonded, then it might still be possible to do but not particularly easy (you would have to inject some epoxy resin into the void and provide a path for it to exit so it can flow though the void.

If the delamination is occurring because of rot... you are kind of screwed; but, even then you can always fix it; but, the fix is just more involved. You would need to remove the rotted section and replace with good wood so that is is structurally good and then either redo the same style as before, or you could do aluminum over that. In any case, if there is rot, you'd have to stop the water intrusion so that it doesn't happen again.
Last edited by kennyrayandersen on Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:15 am

What caused the bubbles is important. Is it the top coat, the glass or whatever you covered the wood with or is the plywood delaminating?

As long as it's not caused by rot I think you can knock down the high spots and float the aluminum over it.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets