Attaching Corner Trim

Finishes, paints and coatings

Attaching Corner Trim

Postby JMailbox8 » Sun May 05, 2024 2:27 pm

I am planning to put aluminum corner trim around the outside of my filon skinned squaredrop camper. In order to eliminate or reduce screws, I was thinking of placing Eternabond Doublestick or 3M VHB tape over the corners to seal my edges, then use a roller to really work the material to the surface, pull back the peel, then stick my corner trim over the tape and press on hard. If needed, I could put screws in at the ends. The trim is black, so concern about the sun heating the trim and adhesive may be real. I have never used these products before. Does anyone have any experience with this application that could give their thoughts on my idea? Good, bad? I just want to limit water intrusion by the screw holes. TIA.
JMailbox8
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Attaching Corner Trim

Postby philpom » Mon May 06, 2024 6:14 pm

For my aluminum black corner trim I used 3M automotive double sided tape - the stuff for molding on doors for example. Put the tape on the camper and then applied the trim. You only get 1 shot to get it on straight but so far zero issues for me. It sets outside now for 3 years I guess.

I used it because I wanted to minimize the number of protrusions.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 07, 2024 5:56 pm

Not my idea, but someone else suggested preforming the trim over the unskinned shell to avoid marring the finish. Then install skin and already formed trim. I would recommend that, at least. Trying to form the trim over the tape with the adhesive exposed sounds tough to me.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Wed May 08, 2024 8:09 pm

That is exactly what I do preform before skinning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Thu May 09, 2024 4:41 pm

KCStudly wrote:Not my idea, but someone else suggested preforming the trim over the unskinned shell to avoid marring the finish. Then install skin and already formed trim. I would recommend that, at least. Trying to form the trim over the tape with the adhesive exposed sounds tough to me.

Indeed, if you have any odd curves etc then certainly I would preform it. In my case it was a perfect 90 degree corner with a pure straight edge so trim forming was required.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets