cutting allumum sheeting or sideing.

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: cutting allumum sheeting or sideing.

Postby citylights » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 pm

slowcowboy wrote:what do most folks use to cut there alumum sheeting to shape? like a big sheet? slow

I used a jig saw to rough cut within 1/4 inch, then a router to fine trim after installed. The router was more to deburr than anything else, I cut it pretty close with the jig. For smaller pieces after I had broke down the 4x10 sheets, for the tongue box and such, I just cut it with a table saw.

citylights
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am

I use an air powered shear(Harbor Freight)...an electric will work nearly as well...you can cut a pretty fine line, I usually cut within 1/8" and then a router setup to get that fine line...be careful however you go(especially a saw) to avoid scratching up the finish on the AL.
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby citylights » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 pm

madjack wrote:I use an air powered shear(Harbor Freight)...an electric will work nearly as well...you can cut a pretty fine line, I usually cut within 1/8" and then a router setup to get that fine line...be careful however you go(especially a saw) to avoid scratching up the finish on the AL.
madjack 8)

Scratches, yup. I cut from the back side so the scratches are hidden, or blue paint taped everything before I cut.
citylights
500 Club

Postby CowboyKell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm

All this talk of power tools is making me jealous.

All I have is a carpenters hammer with a broken claw and rip saw with a bunch of missing teeth.

For the Aluminum cuts I am going to use my wife's kitchen shears. Ssshhh, don't tell her. I'll put them back when I'm through.
CowboyKell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bogo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 am

Thin aluminum can be cut with a shears, but I find it much easier to use a power shears. I have an air powered one. For tight turns, etc., I use a nibbler. A fine toothed blade in a skill saw will also work. Saws, and nibblers will leave lots of bits about. Vacuum them up with a shop vac before tracking them around. They will embed in the soles of shoes. While they may help with walking on ice, I'd bet a skinning would come after walking on the linoleum.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby citylights » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 am

CowboyKell wrote:All this talk of power tools is making me jealous.

All I have is a carpenters hammer with a broken claw and rip saw with a bunch of missing teeth.

For the Aluminum cuts I am going to use my wife's kitchen shears. Ssshhh, don't tell her. I'll put them back when I'm through.

Ha! Not likely living in Aliso Viejo, CA. I have seen those neighborhoods.
citylights
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 am

I use a straight edge and a scoring tool (Olfa laminate scribe - http://www.amazon.com/OLFA-1090486-Plas ... a+laminate) to make long deep scratches....it takes several passes with good pressure then bending back and forth to snap it off...but I get an edge that is close to a shear.

This is used for aircraft construction, definitely higher quality needed than for a teardrop skin ;). Cheap too....just take your time...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CowboyKell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

GerryS wrote:I use a straight edge and a scoring tool (Olfa laminate scribe - http://www.amazon.com/OLFA-1090486-Plas ... a+laminate) to make long deep scratches....it takes several passes with good pressure then bending back and forth to snap it off...but I get an edge that is close to a shear.

This is used for aircraft construction, definitely higher quality needed than for a teardrop skin ;). Cheap too....just take your time...

I'm going to give this a try. I would suspect it will only work on the harder materials. I am using 6061 in a T6 hardness so hopefully it will work.
CowboyKell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Martiangod » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 am

Knife, jig saw, rotozip, all work well, and the most awesomeness tip I got right here on tnttt, if using a jigsaw, rub the blade with bar soap numerous times during the cut.
Almost 30 years working on trailers and I consider soaping the blade one of the most valuable things I HAVE LEARNED ANYWHERE !!!
A bar of soap has become a constant fixture in my tool box
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets