Alum Skin

Finishes, paints and coatings

Alum Skin

Postby mbonafide » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm

I am starting a new build and not sure weather to cut the holes in the walls for the door and windows skinned or not.

Is there an advantage either way? I am more concerned with protecting the exterior finish.

Opinions?
mbonafide
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Alum Skin

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Most cut holes in the sides for door and window, then put the aluminum up to the cut side to mark, then rough cut the aluminum, then fine trim it in place with a laminate trim bit router. You can use painters tape to protect the aluminum from saw scratches. You will have trim at every aluminum flat plate edge anyway.

Check my build log for ideas. I skinned in aluminum.
citylights
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm

I glue the aluminum to the teardrop side, after the door opening is cut out, and use a 1/4" flush cut carbide router bit to cut the aluminum from the door opening.
I drill several 1/4" holes from the inside for the bit to start and so I can see where I'm routing to.
The bit is a self pilot bit ( no bearing at all) so the door opening has to be perfect as it will mimic what it follows.
I need to route at a steady pace as friction is the enemy and the bit will burn in.

The aluminum I use has a protective vinyl covering to ward off scratches produced by aluminum chips while routing.
I use FASTCAP self stick vinyl tape to seal the plywood edge and it makes a smooth surface for the router bit to follow.
I apply counter top aluminum trim to the door opening after routing.

The window opening is a lot easier to route since the part you cut out is scrap.

I find this the best method as using shears or a sabre saw on unsupported aluminum will wrinkle it up at some point.
A 1/4" router bit takes out minimal amount of material so there's enough to trim on the door.
I've tried an expensive ($50) double bearing carbide bit for this process and the bearings & bit clogged up almost immediately.
Maybe slowing down my trim router would help, but I'm not fond of risking damage to the motor.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mallymal » Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 am

That's clever Danny, using countertop edging to edge the doorway. I had always assumed you needed a corner edge trim type affair, which seemed overkill to me.

Couple of questions....

Do you edge the door itself with the same too?

And Is it just flat with a gentle rounded profile?

You may have saved me £100s, as I was thinking shop built doors..... I may just think again ;)
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed May 28, 2014 8:15 am

mallymal wrote:That's clever Danny, using countertop edging to edge the doorway. I had always assumed you needed a corner edge trim type affair, which seemed overkill to me.

Couple of questions....

Do you edge the door itself with the same too?

And Is it just flat with a gentle rounded profile?

You may have saved me £100s, as I was thinking shop built doors..... I may just think again ;)

Mallymal, Yes I edge the door with counter top edging too but only after I apply the "T" molding to the outer edge for the seal.
The combination of the two makes a stiffer door at the edge.
The aluminum counter top edging has a small 90 degree edge (soft corner) at one side and is slightly tapered at the other.
http://vintagecampers.com/viewpart.php?partID=2089#
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mallymal » Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks Danny :thumbsup:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Return to Skinning secrets