Aluminum vs. Fiberglass

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum vs. Fiberglass

Postby Rivulet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Hey all,

I perused previous threads about this but didn't quite get the answer I was looking for, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I am a soon-to-be first-time teardrop owner, and I know next to nothing about maintenance and that kind of thing. My builder recommends a fiberglass skin because it is less likely to come away from the wood underneath after extreme temps, and I won't have to worry about leaks. But I really like the look of aluminum skin, way better than fiberglass. Do you think that checking for leaks (and fixing them) on an aluminum-skinned tear will be easy for someone who hasn't any experience with that kind of thing? Or do you recommend I just go with the fiberglass?

Thank you!
Rivulet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Aluminum vs. Fiberglass

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 am

Personally, delamination could potentially be a problem with either material if not installed properly. I think with fiberglass it's just more noticeable if delamination occurs. I had originally wanted aluminum as well, as I too prefer the look. That is until I spent a long weekend with a fellow teardrop owner who showed me what a challenge it was to maintain that "look" that I liked. Basically talked me right out of it. Now I'm going with filon and automotive paint so it will be wash and go. I want to spend my time camping not polishing. 8)
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets