need some input please

Finishes, paints and coatings

need some input please

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Hey Guys & Gals, I'm a newbie & ex-lurker, so I hope for some feedback from the vets. I've done the intro forum, but I'll very briefly summarize - I'm starting a lightweight version of Mike Schneider's venerable Weekender. Probably 5 x 9 on a H-F 1750 lb trailer. Basic & utilitarian. Primarily 5MM sturdi-floor sandwiched over 1x2 & 1x3 framing. However, after spending some time in the foamie forum, I'm thinking of a combo - plied sandwich sides & galley with a foamie front & top. I'd like some opinions on the suitablity of this. Any successful combo's out there?
However, the big item for this forum is the finish - After lurking and reading lots of threads & Mike's composition adhesive tests, I'm pretty well sold on poor mans fiberglass (used bed linen edging out canvas) and using exterior latex as the "glue" rather than TB2. This method has been around for awhile, but not a lot of new info (for or against) the last year or so. So I'm looking for experience, insights, and devil's advocates on both of these topics. I've seen that latex doesn't adhere nearly as well to foam as it does to wood. But for the upper surfaces, how much is enough? Pease help a wandering soul here........ thanks in advance...doug
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Re: need some input please

Postby ChasCABQ » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 pm

I can't comment on your proposed coating but recommend you locate some local teardrop builders who you can meet and talk to directly and see their trailers.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets