RV Edge Molding/Trim

Finishes, paints and coatings

RV Edge Molding/Trim

Postby DrewWalden » Thu May 28, 2015 11:42 am

I am finding that a lot of the sources for edge molding are only selling it in 8' pieces. This is not enough material to travel from the front of the trailer to the galley seamlessly. How are you guys using 8 foot pieces to trim the edge of the camper?

Thanks,
Drew
DrewWalden
Teardrop Inspector

Re: RV Edge Molding/Trim

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 28, 2015 12:14 pm

DrewWalden wrote:I am finding that a lot of the sources for edge molding are only selling it in 8' pieces. This is not enough material to travel from the front of the trailer to the galley seamlessly. How are you guys using 8 foot pieces to trim the edge of the camper?

Thanks,
Drew

Drew:

I start from the front of the 'drop with an 8' piece. After the hatch hinge is installed, I fill the gap in with a 30" (or whatever it is) piece. I do it this way since the top of the trim needs to be butted to the hinge while the side of the trim extends under the hinge. (The side of the trim is about an inch longer than the top of the trim.)

Sure, there's a butt joint between the two pieces of trim but it has sealant under it. In the grand scheme of things, it looks and functions fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DrewWalden » Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you for the response and the photograph! That helps a ton. What trim are you using? I noticed it isn't the vinyl insert type.
DrewWalden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 28, 2015 2:19 pm

DrewWalden wrote:Thank you for the response and the photograph! That helps a ton. What trim are you using? I noticed it isn't the vinyl insert type.

I buy most of my trim from here: http://teardropparts.com/trims-and-mouldings.html

I live in the middle of nowhere and Missoula is the closest real city and it's three hours from here. This guy, George at Vintage, is on the way and thus I don't have to pay for shipping. I use his Top-Edge trim for the top and use his Door Edge trim along the bottom, front and misc other spots.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets