Is 1/8" Luan available anymore?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Is 1/8" Luan available anymore?

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 am

fm-usa wrote:1/8" Lauan is thicker and will hold up to elbows and most night time knees. Unless the two of you are rather spirited. :R

Depends what you're looking for integral strength or lightweight.
Oh good, that's what I want to hear. It's going to be the skin of a composite panel with framing and styrofoam glued between so it will have support. The exterior will be PMF on top of it, so that should be durable.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Dutchoven61 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 am

I just ordered 12 sheets of 1/8" x 4 x 8 from Menards. It was on sale for under $10 a sheet. :D
Dutchoven61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 am

Dutchoven61 wrote:I just ordered 12 sheets of 1/8" x 4 x 8 from Menards. It was on sale for under $10 a sheet. :D

Please post about it as I'm looking at same.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 am

Dutchoven61 wrote:I just ordered 12 sheets of 1/8" x 4 x 8 from Menards. It was on sale for under $10 a sheet. :D

12 sheets.
SOOOoooo ah... how YUGE is this camper going to be? (kid'n)

Still in design my micro trailer currently looks to be taking 8-10 sheets but there will be a fair amount of scrap due to its design.

GOOD LUCK on your build. :thumbsup:

`
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm

I happened upon HD site and they have it at several local outlets for $9.97.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dutchoven61 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:42 am

fm-usa wrote:

12 sheets.
SOOOoooo ah... how YUGE is this camper going to be? (kid'n)

Still in design my micro trailer currently looks to be taking 8-10 sheets but there will be a fair amount of scrap due to its design.

GOOD LUCK on your build. :thumbsup:

`

Well its a small standee. It takes 3 sheets on the inside and 3 sheets on the out side of each side. Thats 6 before the roof and front and back walls.

We have a local store called Menard's and you can order online and have it shipped to a local store. It was under $10 a sheet. the SKU# is 125-2003. it took like 3 days to get the stuff.

:D :applause:
Dutchoven61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fm-usa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:48 am

Dutchoven61 wrote:We have a local store called Menard's and you can order online and have it shipped to a local store. It was under $10 a sheet. the SKU# is 125-2003. it took like 3 days to get the stuff.

I'm WELL aware of Nards and their plywood (lack of) quality.
If I may HIGHLY suggest... Before cutting that plywood, do the fingernail scratch test, the sound will change when running over an unfilled void.
Partial trailer side and the whole rear were VERY short lived once ambient moisture crept in and de-laminated in several areas.
I hope yours is better quality.
BTW:
Before buying, I asked Nards is the plywood used interior or exterior glue. They looked and it stated exterior on the mfg's printing. NOT!
so... Do seal it well.
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby Dutchoven61 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:45 am

fm-usa wrote:
Dutchoven61 wrote:We have a local store called Menard's and you can order online and have it shipped to a local store. It was under $10 a sheet. the SKU# is 125-2003. it took like 3 days to get the stuff.

I'm WELL aware of Nards and their plywood (lack of) quality.
If I may HIGHLY suggest... Before cutting that plywood, do the fingernail scratch test, the sound will change when running over an unfilled void.
Partial trailer side and the whole rear were VERY short lived once ambient moisture crept in and de-laminated in several areas.
I hope yours is better quality.
BTW:
Before buying, I asked Nards is the plywood used interior or exterior glue. They looked and it stated exterior on the mfg's printing. NOT!
so... Do seal it well.

Seems ok to me. You paid $18 a sheet? The regular price was under $10 and i got the rebate. did you seal the wood? how did moisture get in? If you had a bad experience with Menards you should have contacted their DC and asked for a corrective action. Giving a bad review here is a little harsh. again my 12 sheets are fine.
Dutchoven61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fm-usa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:44 am

Dutchoven61 wrote:Seems ok to me. You paid $18 a sheet? The regular price was under $10 and i got the rebate. did you seal the wood? how did moisture get in? If you had a bad experience with Menards you should have contacted their DC and asked for a corrective action. Giving a bad review here is a little harsh. again my 12 sheets are fine.

$18 per sheet?
I'm guessing I paid around $11 sheet (2008), been a while. Rebates are always good. Good to hear your sheets are fine.
The info sticker of the product said all voids were filled. Once I got into a filled area, I found the voids were filled with the same porous rust color filler used in their bench top vises. I bought a large vise back in the late 1970's for truck maintenance. China castings are marginal to VERY poor which produces many voids. On the flat anvil I used my sledge hammer to pop 'x-part' out. On that heavy vibration sent through the anvil a rather large chunk (3/4") of filler loosened. Luckily it was a place of non-support. BTW: That vise quit clamping so I opened it up. Good steel screw into a POORLY cast threads. Buyer beware. Now I never buy a vise without first seeing the threaded nut. It used to raise eyebrows of clerks at the store. The kids these days simply don't care, they'll never use one.
>>>Back to the wood. Yes, I knew there would be issues for the low price so I was aware at purchase. Pops didn't produce any dummy's in our family.
BTW: I tested that porous red stuff that popped out of the vise, it absorbs water and turns soft. :frightened:
I assumed you might have known about this filler so I didn't go into deep explanation. These supposedly filled voids were the main reason for my caution to you. BUT IF you're not interested in my friendly warning, please ignore.

Me... seal the wood?
Of course it was sealed, 3 coats worth and a 4th after the 2 week vacation.
I've been living near Lake Michigan pretty much all my life. The last 14 years just 1.25 miles away. I used that plywood on a trailer which will see adverse weather conditions both parked and traveling. The one thing you can not protect against very well is ambient moisture unless it's parked in a building.
A bad experience... see Menards for adjustment.
Ummmm, yes I did go back and complain but it did little use for the product started de-laminating 6 months after purchase. I already knew it was a loss cause but still I felt they needed feedback. They since got a little better product in, maybe I made the difference? I did get one sheet exchanged after cutting into it, the void was way to large for use. Any other smaller voids I filled as i went with a mix of sawdust & wood glue. I was in a rush, that was the quickest fix at that time. I use 2 grades of wood filler, area dependent.
Bad review...harsh.
How can giving a viable (good or bad) experience be harsh? Menards has a reputation of buying the cheapest and marginally poorest quality material from china. It wasn't that way when Nards first started, decades ago. You see, I've been around long before there were big-box stores. When I traveled to stores with dad, the largest buildings that sold 'x' were lumber yards and Warshawsky's in Chicago. That was when they had Model A cars in the store just as you walk in. Now THAT is old.
My, as you call it, review is a warning what to watch out for. With my void warning and suggestion on how to find it so you can avoid it, curiousness has me asking, was that a bad thing?

Sorry for the loooong spiel but I feel all that needed to be said.
I'm not into retail sales anymore but I still have a CARE to give to those who will listen.
I also don't like hearing about BAD (here, trailer) experiences, especially if someone COULD HAVE received warning info first.

HAPPY BUILDING :beer:

A new phrase of mine. "If you must do something twice, do it wrong first."

`
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby Dutchoven61 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:56 pm

fm-usa wrote:
Dutchoven61 wrote:Seems ok to me. You paid $18 a sheet? The regular price was under $10 and i got the rebate. did you seal the wood? how did moisture get in? If you had a bad experience with Menards you should have contacted their DC and asked for a corrective action. Giving a bad review here is a little harsh. again my 12 sheets are fine.

$18 per sheet?
I'm guessing I paid around $11 sheet (2008), been a while. Rebates are always good. Good to hear your sheets are fine.
The info sticker of the product said all voids were filled. Once I got into a filled area, I found the voids were filled with the same porous rust color filler used in their bench top vises. I bought a large vise back in the late 1970's for truck maintenance. China castings are marginal to VERY poor which produces many voids. On the flat anvil I used my sledge hammer to pop 'x-part' out. On that heavy vibration sent through the anvil a rather large chunk (3/4") of filler loosened. Luckily it was a place of non-support. BTW: That vise quit clamping so I opened it up. Good steel screw into a POORLY cast threads. Buyer beware. Now I never buy a vise without first seeing the threaded nut. It used to raise eyebrows of clerks at the store. The kids these days simply don't care, they'll never use one.
>>>Back to the wood. Yes, I knew there would be issues for the low price so I was aware at purchase. Pops didn't produce any dummy's in our family.
BTW: I tested that porous red stuff that popped out of the vise, it absorbs water and turns soft. :frightened:
I assumed you might have known about this filler so I didn't go into deep explanation. These supposedly filled voids were the main reason for my caution to you. BUT IF you're not interested in my friendly warning, please ignore.

Me... seal the wood?
Of course it was sealed, 3 coats worth and a 4th after the 2 week vacation.
I've been living near Lake Michigan pretty much all my life. The last 14 years just 1.25 miles away. I used that plywood on a trailer which will see adverse weather conditions both parked and traveling. The one thing you can not protect against very well is ambient moisture unless it's parked in a building.
A bad experience... see Menards for adjustment.
Ummmm, yes I did go back and complain but it did little use for the product started de-laminating 6 months after purchase. I already knew it was a loss cause but still I felt they needed feedback. They since got a little better product in, maybe I made the difference? I did get one sheet exchanged after cutting into it, the void was way to large for use. Any other smaller voids I filled as i went with a mix of sawdust & wood glue. I was in a rush, that was the quickest fix at that time. I use 2 grades of wood filler, area dependent.
Bad review...harsh.
How can giving a viable (good or bad) experience be harsh? Menards has a reputation of buying the cheapest and marginally poorest quality material from china. It wasn't that way when Nards first started, decades ago. You see, I've been around long before there were big-box stores. When I traveled to stores with dad, the largest buildings that sold 'x' were lumber yards and Warshawsky's in Chicago. That was when they had Model A cars in the store just as you walk in. Now THAT is old.
My, as you call it, review is a warning what to watch out for. With my void warning and suggestion on how to find it so you can avoid it, curiousness has me asking, was that a bad thing?

Sorry for the loooong spiel but I feel all that needed to be said.
I'm not into retail sales anymore but I still have a CARE to give to those who will listen.
I also don't like hearing about BAD (here, trailer) experiences, especially if someone COULD HAVE received warning info first.

HAPPY BUILDING :beer:

A new phrase of mine. "If you must do something twice, do it wrong first."

`

I am new to the trailer thing and find these forums very helpful. Your experiences may have actually had an effect on Menards. I looked my sheets over very well. It has void fills but its filled with wood (footballs) not putty. It is comprised of Mahogany on one side and in the center and Birch on the other side. Both sides are sanded. the footballs I see are all in the Mahogany side. The birch side is good enough to varnish. In fact I plan to varnish the interior side. gonna do PMF on the entire outside.

When I saw your post I was afraid I may have gotten ripped off. I don't have alot of money here and a ripoff may mean I stop working. At any rate, I don't have any love for Menards infact I worked for them here in S.E.Wisconsin untill John Menard Screwed us all on profit sharing..... Well thats another story.

I an glad however that I looked closer at the wood. I feel better now. And If I had the same issue you had I might have had to do something bad to them.....
Dutchoven61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fm-usa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:49 pm

WELL I'm glad to hear you got quality 1/2 Birch plywood for $10 sheet. ANY SLIM CHANCE you still have contacts for 8 more sheets that I can get?

Ya, I was (like ALMOST) ready to start work in a Nards but when I got wind of that profit sharing, I backed off real quick.
I lost a YUGE chunk of my retirement $ from a bus company I worked for. Real shame I didn't secretly photocopy the... ummm 'x'. I'd be sitting really pretty via a lawsuit. JEZ it still makes me mad after 30 years. There straw on me was I suggested the mechanics rotate the jobs, without that they'd never learn the different areas of mechanics. 2 years after I left... ya, they're rotating the jobs. THAT PO'S ME IMMINENCELY!
Allis Chalmers engine division. I was one of the VERY few who could run any machine in the 2 shops. I was the rotater for vacations. But cause I was the bottom of the totem pole on hiring, I got laid off first.
1980's Penski's 3rd car. I was asked to be the engine builder. Sorry to say I couldn't afford the traveling expenses between Joliet, IL and Indiana.
AHHHHHHhhhh the life I could have had. :roll:

Let me know on the ply!!!!!!

Effect on Menards? HOPE SO! Hate to hear American sellers selling nothing but CCC.
I had a HUGE hand in Sherwin Williams paint in the early 2000's. If you used there paint before 2K you know it was pretty much the bottom of the barrel in quality and coverage. It's now rather good stuff. ONCE AGAIN..... I get no retirement $$$ from it.
GRRrrrr :x
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesDixonLR » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 pm

I was looking into it today and Home Depot carries it. I have not put eyes on it but the local store claims to have 20 or so 4x8 sheets. If you have HD but they don't carry it maybe they will ship to store for free. Jim Dixon
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets