Skinning questions -- canvas...

Finishes, paints and coatings

Skinning questions -- canvas...

Postby CLChastain » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:35 am

When people talk about canvas for skinning trailers, do they mean the fabric actually sold as "canvas" in fabric stores? Or will other types of fabric also do? If so, what types?

Also, what about the painters' dropcloths so many women use in crafts? It seems a lot less expensive than canvas. Perhaps it may work well for dining room drapes, but not work at all for a trailer skin?
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Re: Skinning questions -- canvas...

Postby Ned B » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:15 am

Here's a thread over in the foamie sub forum discussing canvas sources: Canvas Tarp Suppliers
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=44150
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:31 am

I covered my tear with the drop cloth canvas from home Depot. It doesn't matter what fabric you use as long as it is natural fiber. I used bed sheets on one project and found one is a synthetic blend, that one has been coming loose ever since.
I first got the idea from a boat builder who used unbleached muslin for a smooth finish.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 am

The cheap drop cloths have a seam every 4 feet or so. On my latest build I cut them out. Once the paint is cured on the filler coats, you can sand the seams or use filler to smooth them if it bothers you.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby CLChastain » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:18 am

Revisiting this thread about how to finish a wood exterior without fiberglassing or glue-and-paint canvas. I had asked about just priming and painting the exterior with a good quality exterior house paint, but there were cautions about it letting the wood get wet.

I recently ran across a building thread for a plywood caravan on an Aussie vintage van forum. The poster wrote:

The next picture is just after the first coat of a waterproofing membrane. This product I thought was the best to use as after you prime the van you apply this thick paint-like colour. The manufacture's say it will waterproof ply and also has UV protection. I applied it with a roller and once dry it was fairly easy to rub back. I removed all the bits to seal all the joints and ends of exposed ply ( for extra protection). To do the van I used approx 2 litres per coat. In the past bitumum paint was used with a layer of canvas over the top. When I got the product I made a ply box and painted it inside and filled it with water.

That was three days ago and it still has not leaked so I think it will do for my van. Thought I would post a little picture so it downloads quicker.

Here's the pic: http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/th ... llTo=10180

So what do you suppose he means by a waterproof membrane that gets painted on with a roller? Would it be something like the elastomeric roof coating (i.e., Kool Seal) some people put on their trailers? He later painted two "top coats" on the exterior, which I take to mean regular paint. Here's a pic after painting. (I note the little wood "drip caps" look very neat.)

http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/post/10189/thread

So what kind of paint-on membrane would protect a plywood exterior, and what kind of paint would go over it? Anyone?
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Postby Talia62 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:54 am

CLChastain wrote:So what kind of paint-on membrane would protect a plywood exterior, and what kind of paint would go over it? Anyone?

If you read through the thread, he references it later. It's an acrylic coating made by http://www.gripset.com
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby CLChastain » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 am

Thanks ... Australian company. I wonder if it would cost tons to buy it and have it shipped to the USA ... or if there's an American equivalent...
CLChastain
Teardrop Builder

Postby ArtMini » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the canvas used for convertible car tops? What about the canvas that they use over hard tops? Can I just glue either of these 2 materials onto primed wood? Would they remain water tight glued down flat?
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets