best trim for aluminum, filon, fiberglass etc.

Finishes, paints and coatings

best trim for aluminum, filon, fiberglass etc.

Postby gene so » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm

I am building a faceted trailer with several angles. After spending considerable time in the rainy Northwest I am seeking the best trim to unite the cover for my trailer in such a way that the sections joined won't leak. I have seen some trim that had been bent to form a perfect seal. but could gain no information concerning it.
So, without being able to prove it, I believe some aluminum trim exists for the trailer industry which has some degree of flexibility to it so it can be molded or shaped to fit perfectly to two different angulated surfaces. Am I dreaming or does such a material exist?

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: best trim for aluminum, filon, fiberglass etc.

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:03 pm

All of the trim I've used on my three builds is dead-soft. All purchased from teardrop suppliers.

It's the sealant that you apply under the trim that makes it bulletproof. Not the trim. Lots of threads on sealant types.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gene so » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am

Tony,

Thanks so much for the reply. I am not afraid to seek the sealants and trim on this site, which I regard as really special as a source for constructing one of these trailers. Now that I know this trim is readily available, that is a relief. I had already determined that regarding the plywood being joined on the roof-sides, that I would be applying epoxy and mats to this junction before attatching the surface skin to the trailer. Silicone is good, but as I am determinging there are better grades of it.

Thanks,

Gene So :x
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Silicone is good, but as I am determinging there are better grades of it.

I've been in the silicone camp but would probably move over to the polyurethane side of the road if I was going to crank out #4. But make sure if you use silicone, only use the G.E. Silicone II. The rest of it is corrosive to aluminum.

I make sure my roof/wall joints are closed with PL Premium polyurethane construction glue. And that's before I epoxy the exterior wood.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gene so » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am

Tony,

Thanks so much for this very valuable information that should really pay off in the years ahead.
Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets