Latex or oil. Over canvas

Finishes, paints and coatings

Latex or oil. Over canvas

Postby theshanester » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:31 pm

I covered the entire camper last year with canvas and latex pain . Both to hold the canvas and on top to cover. The problem is there's cracking on the surface. Should I recoat with latex again or use an oil base paint to recoat now
theshanester
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Latex or oil. Over canvas

Postby Talia62 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:38 pm

If you paint oil over latex or vice versa, you won't get a good bond. There are primers that you could use that will fix this, but then you're looking at probably scuff-sanding, special primer, and then paint. I'd think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just go with a high quality exterior latex.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Stick with the latex that you've already started with or use something similar. Hopefully, it's some sort of house or outdoor paint that will last. With oil based paints, you sometimes have to sand quite a bit between coats to get the top coat to adhere and getting it to stick between the canvas threads and indented areas might be difficult. Anyway, some states (like Calif.) are slowly discontinuing oil-based paints. Latex paint has improved immensely over the years. ...My 2 cents. Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby theshanester » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks for the advice. I just thought I saw some where to use latex to embed the canvas then coat with oil base. Just wasn't sure why the crackin . The first time I used this technique it was on foam and thought it was just the foam flexin . But had same results on wood as well. Thanks again for response
theshanester
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:20 am

I would be looking at the wooden canoe folks for advice, Painted canvas has been used to more than a hundred years. http://www.canoeing.com/canoes/canoerepair/repairwoodcanoes.htm
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:16 am

As sharon said not all latex (,or acrylic as we call it here ) are made equal.
There is so much variation in quality its rediculous.
Next time your in a paint shop pick up similar sized tins of paint from the cheapest to the most expensive and feel the weight difference. Its quiet astounding.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets