mildew on exterior walls; none on open-vented interior walls

Finishes, paints and coatings

mildew on exterior walls; none on open-vented interior walls

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 pm

• I meant to ask this question earlier, as I started cleaning and preparing my trailer, after sitting untended in the garage for 18+ months. I noticed a little mis-coloration of my paint, while working on the trailer, in my badly lit garage bay. I haven't put the big halogens in the bay, yet, for better lighting, 'cause I'm using them for my room rebuild inside the house. I grabbed a nearby kitchen wipe (I have them stashed everywhere), and wired a foot-square surface clean, until it shone in reflected light. The wipe was brown and lightly green.
  • I live on a sandhill, and our 8 dogs and the neighbor's horses stir up a lot of dust, so I expected the brown. But, is the greenish tint indicative of mildew? Why on the walls and roof of the trailer, unless it formed just after I backed it in 18+ months ago? I had just hosed it down, and put it away wet. I hadn't even opened that bay for over a minute or two at a time, just to reset the compressor or the GFCI breakers, in all that time, until recently. The trailer's exterior vents were left opened, and my garage is the metal shed kind, not sealed either, so I expected dust and mildew inside, too. But, there was neither. I wiped floor, walls, carpeting, sniffed the uncovered mattress, and noticed just a slight mustiness, but no dust, dirt, or mildew. My garage has spiders, scorpions, occasionally mice, rats, and snakes, but the trailer hasn't been bothered, just the mildew on the outside. Lucky, I guess.
  • I thought I'd never get back to camping, my health made me retire a bit earlier than I wished; but my health improved, so my trailer will get some attention, now. I won't neglect it after this.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: mildew on exterior walls; none on open-vented interior w

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:22 am

:thinking: Houses get mold and mildew on the outside; so, why not on a trailer that's in a closed up building where moisture can take its time working in but can't necessarily get out that easily. On my house, whenever I find mold/mildew/moss, (There's been a lot this year.) I wash it down with a bit of white vinegar and the problem goes away without hurting anything. Don't rinse it off until you have to, when the trailer gets dirty for some reason. Be careful not to get the vinegar on any plants. It can kill them. In fact, white vinegar is what I use to kill weeds, instead of the dreaded Roundup stuff.

Glad you're feeling better and ready to get back "in the saddle".
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Spring time around here when the trees are budding out everything gets a film of yellow/green pollen on it, sometimes thick enough to really coat a surface almost like a light dusting of snow.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:42 pm

KCStudly wrote:Spring time around here when the trees are budding out everything gets a film of yellow/green pollen on it, sometimes thick enough to really coat a surface almost like a light dusting of snow.
  • I don't know why that didn't occur to me; my white truck sits 10 feet from the trailer, outside the garage bay, and is turning light green, as I type this. But, I had to rub the trailer pretty hard to get the brown/green off. Probably pollen, as you surmise, or the interior (shielded from falling dust and pollen by the vent covers) would be in the same condition, if it was mildew.
  • vent cover with louvers downward.jpg
    vent cover with louvers downward.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
    downward angle of louvers keeps falling dust/pollen out of vents
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets