Pre skin sealing

Finishes, paints and coatings

Pre skin sealing

Postby jgerqano » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Help me out guys. I know I have read about this in the past and I hear conflicting opinions. I have 1/8 plywood over my wooden frame and the ply is attached with screws with a few seams. She is going to get skinned with aluminum in the next couple of weeks. I am worried if water gets under the skin it will seep through the screw holes and on the edge where the top meets the side. Should I glass the seems and caulk the holes or should I rely on the aluminum only to keep her all nice and dry? I am planning on buying molding for the edges. Or do any of you have another solution. Also, do most of you use screws to hold the aluminum in place at the roof seem. If so what type? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Attachments
Resized_20171221_162322.jpg
Resized_20171221_162322.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
jgerqano
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pre skin sealing

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

I am worried if water gets under the skin it will seep through the screw holes and on the edge where the top meets the side.

I think worrying about water getting under the skin is a good thing. At the very least––it's my opinion––that the wood should be soaked with "the mix". Me? I use thin Raka epoxy.

On my first build, I fiberglassed the edges with home-cut bias tape. I think it was overkill since the roof was glued to blocking between the spars.

But if you're concerned about it... I'd do it. You've got a lot of time and money into that good-looking build. Here's a link on cutting bias fiberglass tape (so it rolls over the edge easier):

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34887&p=633840

Most builders attach the edges of the aluminum to the cabin by screwing down trim with stainless screws. Dry fit the trim and then reapply with a bead of sealant. I use countersunk flathead screws under the galley hinge.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets