Behr 1 part epoxy garage floor paint

Finishes, paints and coatings

Behr 1 part epoxy garage floor paint

Postby JamesDixonLR » Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

I came across this at Home Depot the other day and wondered if anyone has used it on a build? If some cover their camper with epoxy seems like paint with epoxy might be handy. Unless it only comes in gray with glitter. :)
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Behr 1 part epoxy garage floor paint

Postby working on it » Thu May 24, 2018 3:40 pm

http://www.behr.com/binaries/content/as ... _usweb.pdf More colors available. Besides, what's wrong with gray (maybe not with glitter, though)?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Thu May 24, 2018 4:40 pm

JamesDixonLR wrote:I came across this at Home Depot the other day and wondered if anyone has used it on a build? If some cover their camper with epoxy seems like paint with epoxy might be handy. Unless it only comes in gray with glitter. :)

Is it UV stable is my first question. Epoxy itself is not.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu May 24, 2018 7:05 pm

The manufacturer (Behr) states this product is for horizontal concrete or masonry, not wood or any vertical surface.

This review would seem to indicate the Behr product is simply acrylic paint with a small amount of epoxy added.

Epoxy Paint or Epoxy Coating; Do you Know the Difference?

There is an abundance of confusion today from homeowners looking to apply and epoxy coating to their garage floor. Should it be epoxy paint or an epoxy coating? Is there a difference? If so, which is best? The easiest way to figure this out is to learn the difference between paint, epoxy paint, and epoxy coatings, in order to eliminate all the confusion and be able to make an informed decision.

The first misnomer that we want to address is that an epoxy coating is not paint. Garage floor paint is a latex acrylic product. Many of the well-known paint manufactures do offer paint with a small amount of epoxy in the mix and refer to them as 1-Part epoxy paint. This allows for better adhesion and durability than standard acrylic paint, but it is not an epoxy product.

The term “epoxy paint” came about when epoxy manufactures took notice of the terminology that people were using when searching for epoxy coatings. The DIY public was intermixing the term “paint” with “coating”. So a marketing decision was made and many well known DIY epoxy flooring manufacturers that you see in home improvement centers decided to brand their products as “epoxy paint” since that is what consumers seemed to be calling it.

As a result, it has only made things more confusing for the consumer. Chances are that when you see something advertised as epoxy paint for your garage, it could be acrylic paint or it could be an epoxy coating. This has led to many people buying a paint for their garage floor when what they thought they were purchasing was an epoxy coating.

What is an epoxy floor coating?

Epoxy is a two component product consisting of one part epoxy resin and one part polyamine hardener. You are required to mix the two parts together prior to application. After mixing you are limited by time and temperature as to how long you have to apply it. With colored epoxies it is the resin that is tinted to give the epoxy color. If it’s not tinted, then it goes on as a clear coating.

https://allgaragefloors.com/is-it-paint-or-epoxy/
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby JamesDixonLR » Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 am

working on it wrote:http://www.behr.com/binaries/content/assets/behrdotcom/web/pdfs/concretewoodfloorcoatings_usweb.pdf More colors available. Besides, what's wrong with gray (maybe not with glitter, though)?

There's nothing wrong with gray, in fact some times it turns out right nice. :)
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby Zomby Woof » Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I was wondering about this also.

The company I work for epoxies the floor in various parts of the plant on a regular basis and often has leftover materials. It's very likely to be high quality commercial two part epoxy so I was wondering if it could/would make for a nice finish, if not a sealer that I could possibly paint over with something else
Zomby Woof
Teardrop Builder

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm

From my research, those paints do not respond well to flexing or expanding. they tend to crack and fall off of surfaces like that. You'll want to look for an epoxy with elasticity probably.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 pm

That stuff doesn't even work well on garage floors. I painted my garage floor once and it started chipping off. So, I scraped and cleaned the floors and reapplied for the second time. Most of it chipped right off again. IMO, it's not good.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vladislaoapp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:28 am

what is your opinion about epoxy paint now?
vladislaoapp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby accidentaljosh » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:34 am

Is it safe to use epoxy paint if my garage door is with windows? Will the sunlight affect the paint in any way?
I have just installed a new door from https://doorsdirect2u.co.uk/product-category/garage-doors/, and I would like to change the floor paint too. But I don’t know which one to choose because there are too many of them. I have got a door with windows because I like when the garage is not that gloomy and boring, and I also thought it could help to fight mold inside.
But won’t sunlight cause the epoxy paint to deform or something?
accidentaljosh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JasenC » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:12 am

Do your research, some of these store brand's come up short.
Still a neat idea and I think the gray with pink and lavender glitter will look great. :D
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Skinning secrets