PMF questions

Finishes, paints and coatings

PMF questions

Postby GTS225 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Have a couple questions about PMF that I can't seem to find answers to after a search.
I'm thinking of using it, not only for a teardrop, but also a wood boat hull.
Does it dry to a clear, or translucent finish? (I'm thinking that I might be able to use low-cost, colored sheets from Walmart, in a multi-colored scheme, if it does.)
How might it hold up without an additional weather-proofing coating? (Should I put a coat or two of Rustoleum Marine Topside paint over it?)

Thanks.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Re: PMF questions

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:08 am

PMF ( Poor Man's Fiberglass ) is a method of waterproofing surfaces exposed to weather w/o the exposure to epoxy or real glass fibers

https://www.instructables.com/id/Poor-M ... -weatherp/

the guys who build high $$$ surf boards do use colorful fabric on their boards butt it is bedded in epoxy which somewhat defeats the "poor man's" portion of the process (i've even seen the process on boats)

bed sheets(absorbant fabric) and canvass are the most common

some times the fabric is glued to surfaces w/ Tite-Bond II or III and then painted

some times the fabric is bedded in paing on a surface and then painted over

PMF by definition isn't transparent or even translucent

don't forget if you do end up using epoxy for a colorful effect it will require a UV inhibiting varnish over it since epoxy by nature isn't protected from UV and will either get powdery or seemingly sublimate from the surface :-(

just this poor old man's take on the subject

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:11 pm

OK......I know what PMF is, so maybe I should be a little more detailed with my questions.
Does TB2 dry clear or semi-clear? (If clear, then a fabric color will show through.)
Will exposure to water soften the TB2?
Will UV from sunlight harm the TB2?

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:49 pm

GTS225 wrote:OK......I know what PMF is, so maybe I should be a little more detailed with my questions.
Does TB2 dry clear or semi-clear? (If clear, then a fabric color will show through.)
Will exposure to water soften the TB2?
Will UV from sunlight harm the TB2?

Roger

I've never used PMF, but plenty of Titebond 2 (and 3). They do not dry clear; they turn from a light brown to dark brown when cured.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 am

as for UV, i never leave it as the final/top coating

as for water, brief exposure will not soften it butt prolonged exposure can soften it

if it is top coated w/ a good UV inhibiting finish(i use water base house paint) and keep a good surface w/o flaws/scratches/dings... (touching up as they occur) it doesn't seem to cause issues

my personal experience is from building small(8' - 12') wooden boats w/ TB III and the experiences i've seen w/ others who built w/ TB II before TB III was on the market and some of their little boats are 10+ years old

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 am

I can't help on the PMF questions, but maybe this will help with your glue selection.

TB3 will not adhere to dried TB3 according to Titebond. TB2 will stick to dried TB2. Titebond says you have five minutes to get a TB2 joint together and ten for TB3.

:thinking: Food fer thought.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm

OK! Swoody came through with the final answer.
I will NOT be able to leave the PMF bare, but will have to topcoat it, and it would be useless to attempt to use colored fabric. As I had mentioned, Rustoleum makes a oil-based, marine topside paint in a half dozen colors, that I think is also UV inhibitive.

I do wonder what is meant by brief and prolonged water exposure. Would a 6-8 hour fishing trip be considered "prolonged"?
(It may not matter, as it'll be top-coated anyway.)

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets