Can someone give me some ideas for a bottom trim piece for t

Finishes, paints and coatings

Can someone give me some ideas for a bottom trim piece for t

Postby lacofdfireman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:51 pm

So I finished my PMF today and am about 98% happy with it. The only places where I’m not 100% happy is at the bottom where it comes up to the frame. There were a few pieces that ended up not sticking very well to the wood. I thought I had it all down good but guess there were a couple spots on the bottom that are not perfect. I’m trying to decide on a way to make this look better and also protect the underlying wood. I’ve tried pushing up glue inside the pockets to no avail. It just won’t stick. So my only other option is to cut around the area and do a PMF patch but I think that’s going s to look cheesy because there is probably 5-6differnt spots where I’d have to patch at the bottom edge around the trailer.

So I was thinking of maybe doing a 6” wood trim board on the bottom that would actually come down to the bottom of my trailer frame and it would cover up the bottom of the PMF another 4”. I would use PMF on the trim board and then I would use some type of roofing sealant underneath the board to keep moisture out. Also at the top of the board I could also do ahead of caulk to help the water run off. Does this sound like a good idea? I’m thinking it would would pretty good. But wanted to check here first to make sure I’m not missing any other ideas. If you have a better idea let me know.

Here is the rubber sealant stuff I’d maybe use. Or maybe just roof caulk for RV’s. The stuff that doesn’t ever get hard.

Here is a pic of my PMF Job. Like I said I’m really happy with 98% of it. Just that dang bottom edge I’m not super thrilled about. You can also see my patch job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: Can someone give me some ideas for a bottom trim piece f

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:09 pm

You might consider Vintage's HT09 trim:

https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hinges---aluminum-trim.html

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 pm

tony.latham wrote:You might consider Vintage's HT09 trim:

https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hinges---aluminum-trim.html

Tony

Some great stuff on there for sure but I think I’m going to try the PMF wood border and see how that works out. I think I’ll use Henry’s rubberized wet patch underneath the wood so that water can’t get under the trim board for the top or bottom. I’ll make sure to put it nice and thick so it squeezes out of the top and bottom of the trim board. Nothing should get past that I wouldn’t think.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:58 am

Having a drip edge is good practice, especially in wet climates. I was going to suggest using something inherently waterproof like a strip of FRP or aluminum (if carefully isolated from the steel frame).
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 am

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-Commo ... 1000443085. I have used this or something similar as a drip edge. It is pvc so no rot and its waterproof. if you want to paint it scuff it up and use a good primer first.
Attachments
lattice.jpg
lattice.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with some FRP from Lowe’s. My plan is to caulk the top and bottom so that nothing can get behind it. Even if it does the wood underneath is treated with PMF so it should be good to go. I’m hoping to paint the trim black or gray. Was thinking maybe this Gripper paint might even work on it since it seems to stick well to stuff.

Anyone recommend a good caulk to use on the top edge of this FRP? Seems like people say stay away from anything with silicone. Also I need something paintable.

Here is what the FRP bottom trim piece ended up looking like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby redbicycle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:
Anyone recommend a good caulk to use on the top edge of this FRP? Seems like people say stay away from anything with silicone. Also I need something paintable.
Pro

BigStretch or OSI. Lowes will have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lacofdfireman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:04 pm

redbicycle wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:
Pro

BigStretch or OSI. Lowes will have both.

Lowe’s recommended this? Do you think it’s fine. Doesn’t say silicone. But does say silicone like.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby redbicycle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:24 am

lacofdfireman wrote:
redbicycle wrote:Lowe’s recommended this? Do you think it’s fine. Doesn’t say silicone. But does say silicone like.

I started with OSI based on a recommendation from this forum. I didn't like the clear version. I asked a peer what he was using on the custom home he was building. He said BigStretch. I tried it and never went bsck to OSI.

https://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/

I have used both and painted both.
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby redbicycle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:31 am

I used big stretch on some scraps this morning. I'll paint it tonight and give you an example.

redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 am

May I suggest you caulk the top of the trim only. If water does happen to get in on top and the bottom is sealed then it stays there.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:26 pm

redbicycle wrote:I used big stretch on some scraps this morning. I'll paint it tonight and give you an example.

I ended up taking my stuff back and bought “Big Stretch.” Already put it on. It was pretty easy and seems like good solid stuff.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby lacofdfireman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:27 pm

greygoos wrote:May I suggest you caulk the top of the trim only. If water does happen to get in on top and the bottom is sealed then it stays there.
. Yes for sure. Great idea.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:
redbicycle wrote:I used big stretch on some scraps this morning. I'll paint it tonight and give you an example.

I ended up taking my stuff back and bought “Big Stretch.” Already put it on. It was pretty easy and seems like good solid stuff.

Good plan. Elastomeric/tripolymer sealants will beat latex sealants pretty much every time.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Well the exterior is once again finished. Hopefully this time will be the last time.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets