aluminum sheet source/ diy sheet paint / sheet thickness

Finishes, paints and coatings

aluminum sheet source/ diy sheet paint / sheet thickness

Postby Brankulo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:50 pm

hi guys, i am looking for source of aluminum prefinished/painted sheets that would be willing to ship. i have reached out to several places i found online but all of them are willing to only ship a minimum of 24 sheets. i am just looking for a few 5x10 sheets for my build. i am in Denver area, maybe someone here know local supplier here? i can not locate anyone.
i did find ACM sheets supplier in denver area but all they have is white. i might go this route but would probably want to paint. has anyone done diy paint on aluminum sheet?
and lastly, if going with sheet aluminum, whats the consensus on thickness, in my case it will go over 3/4" plywood so i am thinking 0.04" would do.

thanks
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: aluminum sheet source/ diy sheet paint / sheet thickness

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:59 pm

Are you building your box out of 3/4 ply? That's a pretty heavy route to go.

I don't know what to suggest for your thickness, but thin enough to shed water without being too thin to be easily damaged or show glue irregularities.

Some alternative options to consider for sourcing siding material - sign shops, tractor trailer repair places, and sheet metal fab shops. There's got to be somebody in the front range area that stocks or uses aluminum roll products or sheets.

If painting aluminum is a concern, consider a vinyl wrap.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:59 pm

so i am thinking 0.04" would do.

.040 is the standard for teardrop sheathing.

I too think you're looking at too much weight with 3/4" ply.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Brankulo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:39 pm

i am not concerned about weight too much. i prefer sturdy build and walls that i can attach to anything anywhere down the road. i toured 4x4 teardrop facility, they build their squaredrops out of 3/4" plywood and their 5x10 comes dry at about 1200lbs. it has heavy duty 30" off road tires and frame build out of 2x3 1/8" tubes. i am building 5x9 using 2x2 1/8" tubes so will come even less than 1200lbs. my tow vehicle is capable of towing 3500lbs so i am really not worried about weight.

correction: 1500lbs. still fine with me though
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets