Pod #1 was shipped assembled! Help, too much ventilation!

A place to talk about homeless shelters, design and construction. (No politics)

Pod #1 was shipped assembled! Help, too much ventilation!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Pod #1 was shipped assembled! Help! too much ventilation!

Here's a quick photo essay of the prototype, which I made lots of mistakes on...

Here's the pieces I started with...

Building up one of the end walls...

How it looks with the spars and one of the sides...

How it looked early on..

Added a window...

Added barrel bolts...

Added insulation...

Added paint...

Packed it on the trailer for the trip...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Pod #1 was shipped assembled!

Postby High Desert » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Very cool Mike. I like your use of the vardo styling, function and style too. Looks like your CNC has been busy.

This subject looks like a new passion for you.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Nice! Form and function! If you were to cut a handhold slot on each side towards the front overhang, it would give a person something to grab onto so you could drag it a bit easier....
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:11 pm

We got some feedback on the first pod. This was from Pastor Judy on her facebook page...

Judy Howard-Stater Hey Chell Schneider!!! Glad you all made it home safely!!! Loren one of our homeless men got the first pod (that's what we call the shelters) came to church Sunday morning and He said it was the best nite's sleep he's had for a long time! And it got so warm in there with just his body heat that he was about to open the window!!! He was tickled like we gave him a 3 bedroom home!!! Thank you all for all your hard work!! God bless you all abundantly!!!

It's not frigidly cold yet. But I'm encouraged by the fact that the pod with the insulation and the body heat can get so warm! :thumbsup:

Juneaudave wrote:Nice! Form and function! If you were to cut a handhold slot on each side towards the front overhang, it would give a person something to grab onto so you could drag it a bit easier....
:thumbsup:

Yes, that's a good idea. But it's only 5mm luan. I think it needs to be a bit heavier so it doesn't break. Maybe if we glued a backer plate onto it... like 3/4" pine...

High Desert wrote:Very cool Mike. I like your use of the vardo styling, function and style too. Looks like your CNC has been busy.

This subject looks like a new passion for you.

Thanks. Using the vardo seemed to fit in with the homeless theme. And surprisingly, Rev Floyd suggested it initially!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Verna » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 pm

That's great, Mike!!! You 're doing a great thing!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:31 pm

What a testimony that is awesome... I can see the candle cookie tin heater coming into play now...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:18 pm

My one concern would be running out of oxygen.

reminds me of a mishap my brother told me.....

When he was in the army, he went to 3 different month long training session at the national training center near Barstow, CA. Troops would play war games and camp out for long stretches in pup tents. When it got cold (near or just below freezing) some soldiers would light off a streno can heater to get rid of the chill. Work many a times from what I understand, until one young man fell back to sleep and never woke up again. His little heater used up all of the oxygen. Needless to say, that practice was banned.

As we have said before "Airtight will kill you"
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Verna » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:My one concern would be running out of oxygen.

reminds me of a mishap my brother told me.....

When he was in the army, he went to 3 different month long training session at the national training center near Barstow, CA. Troops would play war games and camp out for long stretches in pup tents. When it got cold (near or just below freezing) some soldiers would light off a streno can heater to get rid of the chill. Work many a times from what I understand, until one young man fell back to sleep and never woke up again. His little heater used up all of the oxygen. Needless to say, that practice was banned.

As we have said before "Airtight will kill you"

Aren't there three vent holes in the rear wall? Up high on the wall?
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 pm

I've been wondering what you've been up to Mike. Now I know that is so cool, or actually I guess warm would be a better description.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Good point. Both pods have a 1/4" gap under the door, and 3 holes up high on the opposite end.

I looked at my smoker to get the idea of the size and qty of holes I need, and made them about the same. When my smoker is running, the smoke just pours out of those holes... I suspect I am getting enough air through there..

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:I've been wondering what you've been up to Mike. Now I know that is so cool, or actually I guess warm would be a better description.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Glad you could drop by. I've been thinking about your stove that you always talked about, and wondering if there is anything in that stove that would help with the cookie tin candle heater... the thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18902

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

This is wonderful, Mike. The pod not only serves the function for which it was intended very well, but it is also attractive, and a great example of good engineering.

You ARE doing a great thing. And God bless you for it!! I doubt you can even fully realize the value of the gift you are giving to these people.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 am

:applause: :applause: Wonderful for places that try to house over flow on cold nights. A Wagon type trailer would do great to move around. :worship: :applause:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:28 pm

mikeschn wrote:Good point. Both pods have a 1/4" gap under the door, and 3 holes up high on the opposite end.

I looked at my smoker to get the idea of the size and qty of holes I need, and made them about the same. When my smoker is running, the smoke just pours out of those holes... I suspect I am getting enough air through there..

Mike...

Okay, I just found out that I am getting too much air flow through the pod. I was told that as the temp approaches freezing too much body heat is going out those holes.

I suggested plugging a couple of the holes...

But I had another idea and wanted to run it past you guys.

Since there is a 1/4" gap under the door where the air comes in, can I just put 3 holes in the wall above the door? (and block the holes on the opposite side)? This way instead of the going all the way across the pod, it comes in and goes out on the same wall, leaving most of the pod air warm.

Is this a reasonable idea?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I wrestled with this problem in Chubby, the lexan roofed teardrop. I woke up early in the AM and was totally disoriented and felt like I was on a really really bad drunk. I opened the door and sat in the opening afraid to try and stand as I was so wobbley. About 3 deep breaths and the fog began to clear. No one is going to convince me otherwise it was oxygen deprivation and it is a scary feeling (scarier if you don't wake up I guess).

I now leave a 12" wide window open 1" and the problem has never reoccured. I also use a small fan as a ceiling fan to break up the stratification. I realize you don't have this luxuary in these pods so I would damper the 3 little upper vents with a little paddle shaped damper blade that could cover or partially cover each of the 3 exhaust vents. I personally think the travel from end to end is important to keep the fresh air from entering rising and exiting on the one end without any benefit to the sleeping occupant at the other end.

Just my 2 cents

P.S. my personal homeless shelter is coming along beautifully.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Homeless Shelter Design & Construction