We are in the newspaper!!!

A place to talk about homeless shelters, design and construction. (No politics)

We are in the newspaper!!!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:09 pm

We are in the newspaper!!! Click on the link to read the article!

http://madisoncourier.com/main.asp?Sect ... leID=80373

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: We are in the newspaper!!!

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:13 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jonw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Nice, Mike. You've really gotten the ball rolling on this... :thumbsup:
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dodgedartgt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Plans? PLANS??? Where are the PLANS ?!?!?!?!?! ALL the plans! LOL

Seriously, this is wonderful. So many in need of help. Its great that you were already on this page with design thoughts. So, can we see the plans... I mean design ideas?

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey Mike,

Are you planning on building a pod?

I'm going to work on the design this week. As soon as I have something I'll post it, okay?

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dodgedartgt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad to see what you are doing here. There is a LOT of need for secure shelter out there.

Actually, I have been thinking of something like this for a long time, I'm very interested in alternative living arrangements. I've spent a lot of time surfing TNTTT, and today is the first time I ever noticed this category, "Homeless Shelter." I see you know of the Tiny House Blog, as was linked in the Square Sleeping Pod thread. Take a look at the Mad Housers (of Atlanta) "Low Rider" for something similar to what you've built, http://madhousers.org/construction.

I'm not sure where I saw it, but there were pics of a small pod (painted red, white tunnel style roof) that was transported in the back of a truck to a music festival. It looked like it had stand up room. Though we don't have what you would call winter (yes, we do drop below freezing on occassion), I like to camp out in some of our undeveloped areas in cooler weather. I've also thought something like this would be ideal for large group get togethers, family reunions, church groups, etc. I really like the portable aspect.

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 pm

dodgedartgt wrote:Hi Mike,

Glad to see what you are doing here. There is a LOT of need for secure shelter out there.

Actually, I have been thinking of something like this for a long time, I'm very interested in alternative living arrangements. I've spent a lot of time surfing TNTTT, and today is the first time I ever noticed this category, "Homeless Shelter." I see you know of the Tiny House Blog, as was linked in the Square Sleeping Pod thread. Take a look at the Mad Housers (of Atlanta) "Low Rider" for something similar to what you've built, http://madhousers.org/construction.

I'm not sure where I saw it, but there were pics of a small pod (painted red, white tunnel style roof) that was transported in the back of a truck to a music festival. It looked like it had stand up room. Though we don't have what you would call winter (yes, we do drop below freezing on occassion), I like to camp out in some of our undeveloped areas in cooler weather. I've also thought something like this would be ideal for large group get togethers, family reunions, church groups, etc. I really like the portable aspect.

Mike in FL

Hey Mike in FL...

Are you thinking of Ed's sleep pod? http://tinyhouseblog.com/tag/sleep-pod/

And of course, Nick Hess of the Madhousers has the HighHat and the Lowriders... http://madhousers.org/

Did you ever check out Gary's Homeless shelters? http://dignityrollerpod.blogspot.com/

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wanna Be » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm

TOO COOL !!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

:thinking: This might turn into a full time job for you now !!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Now to kick back with a few of these :wine: :wine: :wine: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:34 pm

:clapping hands:
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Mike,

Good for you, and even better for the folks that really need help. :)

How are the two prototypes working for the new occupants, have you had any feedback yet?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby prodart » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm

job well done sir :applause: :applause: :applause:
prodart
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey Rob,

They had a cold spell down there last week, and they as I understand it, they all hung out in an old trailer, running a propane stove for heat. I heard there were 5 folks in something kinda small... I'm picturing a 10' or 12' shasta, because I don't have any better intel than that right now.

I've started sending information their way about winter camping,like this page here...
http://www.wintercampers.com/2010/10/30 ... r-camping/

If anyone has any good links to camping in the winter, sleeping in the snow, etc... please let me know so I can forward them to Rev Floyd.

The pods are fully insulated and with a good sleeping bag, or two regular bags, one inside the other, they should be able to sleep at the north pole. I am going to rebuild the square pod in the backyard next week to more closely resemble what they have down there in Madison, and then spend the night out there. The intent is to show that they don't need supplemental heat. Chemical hand and feet warmers are allowed!

Mike...

48Rob wrote:Mike,

Good for you, and even better for the folks that really need help. :)

How are the two prototypes working for the new occupants, have you had any feedback yet?

Rob
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dodgedartgt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Mike,

Ed's pod and Mad Housers were exactly it. I've never seen Dignity Rollers before. I like them. I'll be watching this forum and keeping eyes open for your drawing proposals.

Thnx much, Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dodgedartgt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey Mike,

I keep coming back to this section... Did you ever finish the drawings? Also, have you had anymopre feedback from the folks in IN about their use in really cold weather?

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:40 pm

Mike,

They left the electric on in the campground all winter, and the guys just ran electric heaters to stay warm.

I've not done anything on the drawing side. There doesn't seem to be a need at this point.

I've been wondering what more we could do to help. But it seems like these guys have some of the stuff figured out...
http://safe-growth.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... amily.html

In addition, it appears that they are going to close down the campground, forcing these guys to use traditional shelters.

Mike...

dodgedartgt wrote:Hey Mike,

I keep coming back to this section... Did you ever finish the drawings? Also, have you had anymopre feedback from the folks in IN about their use in really cold weather?

Mike in FL
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Homeless Shelter Design & Construction