How about a some type of bike camper

A place to talk about homeless shelters, design and construction. (No politics)

How about a some type of bike camper

Postby Kenp51 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:29 am

I have seen several Youtube videos of coroplast bicycle trailer camper variants.
Here is one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiejAhol4Ps
I think cost could be cut down.
I would be very reluctant to have a fire or heat source in or real near one of these DEPENDING on the homeless person. But then there are those who would be fine. Judgment call. Would not want to see someone hurt themselves.
I see a lot of homeless where I live. Some have bicycles with cobbled together trailers that the use to scavenge with. Maybe some added carry capacity or even tow a second trailer for that purpose (a tractor double trailer micro rig :D ).
Scavenged coroplast signs are readily available in campaign season.

Ken
As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord
Kenp51
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How about a some type of bike camper

Postby chevyn0va1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 am

Kenp51 wrote:I have seen several Youtube videos of coroplast bicycle trailer camper variants.
Here is one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiejAhol4Ps
I think cost could be cut down.
I would be very reluctant to have a fire or heat source in or real near one of these DEPENDING on the homeless person. But then there are those who would be fine. Judgment call. Would not want to see someone hurt themselves.
I see a lot of homeless where I live. Some have bicycles with cobbled together trailers that the use to scavenge with. Maybe some added carry capacity or even tow a second trailer for that purpose (a tractor double trailer micro rig :D ).
Scavenged coroplast signs are readily available in campaign season.

Ken
he uses zip ties to stitch them together how does that not leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chevyn0va1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kenp51 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:20 am

Leaking zips?
Sure seams it would leak. Maybe duct tape over?
There are other fasteners that that would work but cost more.
I have seen numerous homeless around here that could benefit from some sort of portable shelter. We have a homeless fellow that sometime shows up at our church that preaches and ministers to other homeless people. I think he has enough on the ball to keep and maintain a portable shelter.

I am not physically able to build anything at the moment. Treasonous body!

I see a fair number of couples. That would be a tougher project to build a portable shelter for. Width. To wide reduces portability in some ways But maybe not as much of a problem as I think?
Kenp51
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chevyn0va1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Kenp51 wrote:Leaking zips?
Sure seams it would leak. Maybe duct tape over?
There are other fasteners that that would work but cost more.
I have seen numerous homeless around here that could benefit from some sort of portable shelter. We have a homeless fellow that sometime shows up at our church that preaches and ministers to other homeless people. I think he has enough on the ball to keep and maintain a portable shelter.

I am not physically able to build anything at the moment. Treasonous body!

I see a fair number of couples. That would be a tougher project to build a portable shelter for. Width. To wide reduces portability in some ways But maybe not as much of a problem as I think?

I have watched a few of his videos the stuff looks super easy to manipulate.-he uses an ice pick to put the holes for the zip ties. Yes he used yellow duct tape to cover the toes and seam but even that isn't gonna last very long. The sheets are sold at Home Depot normally special order about 11.00 each.

chevyn0va1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kenp51 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Glue would go a long way towards waterproofing. BUT,,,,, coroplast is not the easiest stuff to glue.
There are a bunch of radio control guys who use it and glue. They still use fasteners.
You have to scuff it and the they use flame to flash the oils out of/off of it.
Aluminum tape would work and last. I sealed a metal storage shed with it. It last for till I moved which was a good number of years..
I keep running over building one in my head every once in a while.
Just make sure it is suitable for bicycle trailering. Reasonably rugged, insulated for winter. The silver filmed foam sheets would work fine. For curved sections, a series of cuts (not all of the way through) would let you bend it.
A small solar panel to charge a cell phone or and a battery (would have to be a small deep cycle) for some LED lighting. But that would shoot the cost way up.
To really go all the way a bicycle with a small 2 stroke engine would be great.
Now how the heck do you go about designing a bike, camper (?) for a couple? Anything less than 4 foot wide would be uncomfortably small. A fold out or some thing that expanded would be complex. Just make it the required width and the end user just would have to accept that sidewalks were not a going to be navigable.

Scavenging, second hand materiel, donated materiel would be a prerequisite to make something affordable to donate.

Small 2 stroke engines can often be picked up for really cheap or free at small engine repair shops If you were going to build a motorized tow bike. Not at all legal in many states. But here in Ca they kind of fall between the cracks of the law and regulations. Cops almost alway ignore them unless they are to noisy or the rider is being a total jerk.

Ken
Kenp51
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chevyn0va1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Sure be something to watch get created

chevyn0va1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kenp51 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:19 pm

I have mulledit over for maybe a year.
Still have to get a work bench built first.
And maybe a new knee first.

But next election cycle I will try to score some 4 X 8 sheets of coroplast.

1/8" Luan might work just as good if you had very minimal curves. Bendy board would work splended but ramp up the cost a bunch.
The thin ply would be easy to work then water proof using canvas (or fabric of some kind) and exterial paint.
Kenp51
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Homeless Shelter Design & Construction