2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advice?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Hey Mtbikernate, I've said this before, and will probably be saying it again, but just so you are aware... in my state, CT, at least and maybe in yours too, it is actually illegal to have brakes on a trailer and not have them hooked up and working. Yes, even if the trailer's weight doesn't require brakes at all.

I think their reasoning is that they don't want excuses and they don't want the cops and/or inspectors to have to make common sense judgement rulings. Same thing for lights; if they are there, even if redundant, they have to be working. Probably too many people towing trailers that have, and are required to have brakes, using tow vehicles that they never bothered getting a controller installed in is what created the law, but it is what it is. Just saying. Better to know if you are breaking the law before you get into more serious trouble. It's not the ticket I would worry about, it's the insurance adjuster and civil suit lawyer that would be looking for a loop hole after an accident.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mtbikernate » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pm

Never heard of such a law. I don't believe such a law exists in Indiana where I bought it. Not sure about now in North Carolina.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi All Just an Update, made it to Georgia and back to Colorado safe and sound. The weather worked out great. Go google maps "No highways or tolls" was 8 hours longer but well worth it did not hit any traffic or major cities on the way back. The Trailer towed great. Love the electric brakes. My SUV did not struggle at all. Of course it was empty, let see what another 500 lbs will do.
Thanks to everyone for all your help. I will start a build thread, in the meantime I will be learning wiring and cabinet building... so see you in that class :lol:

BTW, I bought this trailer from makemytrailer.com which is Plain Ol trailer made by South Georgia Cargo in Pearson GA.

Very happy with the experience. Had to check for screws missing and they did not put the window in the door as per plans OPPS! But I guess that is another story.

Barney from Plain Ol Trailers was fantastic all the way so they are going to make it right and send a window and have it installed here.

So... I give you "Rolling Thunder" Plan on adding some of my Lightning Weather Storm and Scenic images to the outside as vinyl graphics. Set up conversion as Mobile camper / office. Kitchen in the VNose, grill area in the back. Found some great add on, awing for the back and 10x10 canopy room for the front. ( we have one on our pop up and love it.) I will post links to everything I use in the build tread learning as I go.

Again thanks for reading and all the input.

:thumbsup:
Attachments
0129180907d-500.jpg
0129180907d-500.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
0129180907a-500.jpg
0129180907a-500.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles