what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 am

2016 Mazda CX5. Adequate, but just barely. On a flat freeway it can do 70+ MPH in top gear. On a slight grade it shifts down one gear. On a steep freeway grade it shifts down 2 gears and screams its little heart out, but it does indeed pull the trailer at 65 up the hill.

I notice most folks posting above with 6 cylinders get 15 MPG or so. My little Mazda gets the same when towing, without the teardrop it does 30 MPG.
Seems it requires about that much fuel to pull a small trailer rig down the highway. Bigger engine loafing along easy, or smaller engine screaming and working hard, it takes a half gallon of gasoline to go 8 miles either way.

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby AllenS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Last year, we pulled our teardrop with a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan, with a 3.3L V6. It could be a little sluggish going up a long incline but it did fairly well.

Last month, we bought a 2015 Nissan Titan, with a 5.6L V8. We'll be taking the teardrop out with it for the first time tomorrow, and then on a 3600 mile trek in July.

We're getting down to crunch time for the July trip, and the topper still hasn't arrived for it. So we're beginning to sweat a little bit. :frightened:
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby RTAMidwest » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:2016 Mazda CX5. Adequate, but just barely. On a flat freeway it can do 70+ MPH in top gear. On a slight grade it shifts down one gear. On a steep freeway grade it shifts down 2 gears and screams its little heart out, but it does indeed pull the trailer at 65 up the hill.

How heavy is your trailer? I'm towing about 1,300 lbs with a CX-5 and it tows it without any difficulty. I'm also usually getting 19-22 mpg while towing. Even driving through the mountains of Montana last year, I never saw mileage below the high teens, and was quite happy with how it performed.

RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm

RTAMidwest wrote:How heavy is your trailer? I'm towing about 1,300 lbs with a CX-5 and it tows it without any difficulty. I'm also usually getting 19-22 mpg while towing. Even driving through the mountains of Montana last year, I never saw mileage below the high teens, and was quite happy with how it performed.

I think you found the difference. I weighed in at 1485 but without several heavy items installed - stove, bed, battery, ...
When I add all that in I get 1727 empty, plus and extra heavy load of gear.

Your trailer is beautiful and is smaller than mine. Your roof is about level with your CX5 roof, mine is a foot or so above. I can't see your width but mine is wider than my CX5.

So mine is substantially heavier with a lot more aerodynamic drag. More weight, more drag, it makes sense my Mazda struggles while yours doesn't.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby McGuffin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi from Ireland,

I use a 2017 Toyota Prius. On a four week trip around France 3,500 kilometres it worked at 39 MPG (US). Very comfortable too.... kept the speed down to about 50 MPH though :roll:

Regards,

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 pm

That's quite good Larry. Was it mostly level driving or just your
speed that kept it so high?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby McGuffin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:18 am

Hi Pete,

I think I was able to get that type of miles per gallon mainly by not accelerating too hard from low speeds to cruising. After that I just put it into cruise control. In the EU it is illegal to pull an unbraked trailer (max 750 Kg) faster that 80 Km an hour - and this car is rated to pull only 725kgs anyway ...so this is a slow and economical way of travelling with an RV... even slower on bendy roads :NC :) :D .

Regards,

Larry

Tigin build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59456&start=75
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 pm

I pull with my Toyota Venza! Used to pull with the minivan but since it's gone this is my workhorse. Love the Venza.Image

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby Wellcraft290 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 am

toyota landcruiser 200 series
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles