What about using a Ford Transit connect to pull a tear?

All about towing and tow vehicles

What about using a Ford Transit connect to pull a tear?

Postby catinmoon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm

HI all,
Any experience with any of these small cargo vans and pulling a teardrop? So far I've seen some Ford Transits that are a nice size, but I'd like to hear if anyone has tried them. I'm not sure they have enough power to do the pull. We pull our teardrop with a 4 cylinder Toyota pickup, and it struggles on some of the long grades "out west" that we encounter.

Any other ideas about SMALL vans that would do the job? Of course I want it all -- pulling power and somewhat decent gas mileage.

Thanks
Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Re: What about using a Ford Transit connect to pull a tear?

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 pm

I would like to hear the responses also.

I know the 2014 model has a turbocharged eco boost engine option. With the towing package it is rated to tow 2000#. I don't believe the earlier model years were rated for towing (in the US.)

We're interested in the Transit Connect because we are looking to upgrade to a small standy, but would like something more fuel-efficient than my F-150. The Transit Connect would also allow us a place to store our bikes and not have to worry about locking them as we do now.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby catinmoon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm

I see now that the 2014 version has a smaller "Eco Boost" engine that is compatible with the tow package. Anyone know how that engine compares to the 2.5 L engine? What makes it more Eco friendly== or is that just a sales pitch? The smaller engine has more horsepower but that doesn't seem intuitive.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

The turbocharger gives you more power for a smaller displacement, for higher upfront cost and bigger risk if something fails.
The sales pitch is the smaller engine needs less gas to get the same performance, thus the eco-boost tag.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Just by the specs I wouldn't recommend it. The curb weight is abot 3500 to 4000 depending on model and options. For comparisons sake a Honda Odessey weighs just over 4500 curb weight. The GVWR on the transit is 5280ish that really doesn't even leave room for the manufacturers recommended 2000 towing and 1750 payload. Might as well tow with a suv or minivan with a tow package.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:J...... The GVWR on the transit is 5280ish that really doesn't even leave room for the manufacturers recommended 2000 towing and 1750 payload. .......

I'm confused by that statement... GVW does not include the tow capacity. With tow capacity added to GVW we have GCW (gross combined weight)

However, I believe it would be a slug towing even half it's rated 2000 lbs tow capacity. But then I base that sort of thing on the mountains and altitude that is included in my everyday driving and compare everything to our Tacoma V6.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jgrote » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:13 pm

I had an older connect. (2011 I think) I also lived in one of the flattest states in the country. It had a hard time keeping highway speeds with about 400lbs in it. (including me) I can't imagine how bad it would be on a real hill, let alone pulling something. They're good little city cars for plumbers and such, but not great for cruising of any kind. The seats were also terribly uncomfortable. The bottoms were too short and ended in a weird place on my legs. (and I'm only 5'7")
jgrote
Teardrop Advisor

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:16 pm

I misspoke adding the towing in. My toughts were the payload may not even fit in the gvwr, and you can get about 1400 payload out of the average minivan. They also have 3500 in towing with a tow package. Makes the transit sound pretty weak IMO.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 pm

The EcoBoost engines are not Turbocharged, they are supercharged. Meaning the booster pump runs off the engine not off the exhaust. It allows a small engine to get more power (HP and torque) with less gas consumption. Consumer reviews are not universally great, and many claim that the manufacturer's gas mileage claims are seriously inflated.

No experience, just the result of research while purchasing a new tow vehicle this fall.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:38 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:The EcoBoost engines are not Turbocharged, they are supercharged. Meaning the booster pump runs off the engine not off the exhaust. It allows a small engine to get more power (HP and torque) with less gas consumption. Consumer reviews are not universally great, and many claim that the manufacturer's gas mileage claims are seriously inflated.

No experience, just the result of research while purchasing a new tow vehicle this fall.

<Chas>

Ecoboosts use air-to-air intercooled turbocharger and twin independent variable camshaft timing. 90% of the maximum torque can be reached at any RPM level and comes in much lower in the RPM range then normally aspirated engines.
Tow rating on the 3.5 eco in the 150s is quite impressive, hard to say how the baby eco will do, but should do alright on a midsize. There have been a few issues, cropping up with the first gen 3.5 eco. But so far from what I'm seeing on the 150 forums is that Ford has been taking care of them. I think a lot of the probs have been from everyone thinking they are in a race truck with the twin turbos. Hopefully they are getting the bugs out of it
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 pm

I stand corrected, I thought I read twin superchargers when I was looking at F-150s. But it sure makes the truck move, and I'm sure people can't keep their foot out of it.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 pm

On the Ford website the peak HP and Torque ratings are also specified as using premium fuel, so that needs to be factored in. My V6 Escape gets best mileage on low octane fuel.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I looked at the briefly three years ago when I was getting ready for a new work vehicle with better mileage than my current E150. I decided against them primarily because I wanted something for personal use when I closed the business. But I do remember a weak point was the acceleration. I had a Ford Ranger pick up a number of years ago and there were times that it was scary because of the lack of acceleration, for example on on-ramps.

(BTW, I ended up with a Honda Odyssey. I average 22.5 mpg on mixed highway-city business driving and 34 on interstate trips. Both fully loaded with tools and equipment). I smile every time I fill up. IIRC, towing capacity was 1500 as shipped and 3500 with towing package, that could be added post-market and I think was primarily transmission cooler.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Martiangod wrote:Ecoboosts use air-to-air intercooled turbocharger and twin independent variable camshaft timing. 90% of the maximum torque can be reached at any RPM level and comes in much lower in the RPM range then normally aspirated engines.

On paper, the available torque at low rpm should address many of the prior model year's driveability and acceleration issues. Turbocharged engines typically perform better than normally aspirated at altitude. However, I wish I had anecdotal experience rather than relying on "should" and "typically" when making a buying decision.

Although my F-150 has the 5.0 liter V-8, I have several friends that have the V-6 eco-boost and they love them - not for gas mileage but for power and towing. Unfortunately the F-150 and the Transit Connect engines and chassis are too different to count this as "anecdotal experience" for the eco-boost in the Transit Connect.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby catinmoon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks again for all the thoughts. I went to the local dealer today, they only had a 2013 cargo version and I would go for a window van. But I got a chance to look inside --- maybe because it was so empty I was struck at how small it was. but it seemed roomy sitting in the driver seat with all that headroom (and I'm not tall only 5 4). THey are supposed to get some more in with the windows so I may go back and drive one of those, if it is a 2014.

Not that this has anything to do with performance, but I was reading the sticker and it appeared that the engine was made in Spain and much of the other parts and assembly in Turkey. It wouldn't sway me one way or another, but I guess I had no idea that cars were made in Turkey and sold in the US under Ford's label. I went on the Internet briefly and it seems some are made in Belgium as well. Just a comment.

Years ago I had a Subaru that was very underpowered, and I don't like the feeling, as another poster mentioned, of not being able to accelerate when need be. I'm mostly a very calm driver, but there are situations in interstate driving when you need to be able to call on power when you need it.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles